3A football pre-season thoughts

Wyoming High School sports, pro sports, other college sports
StarValleyPoke
Buckaroo

I was just wondering if there are any folks from the 3A football ranks that can bounce some things around in a thread like this? It's always more difficult to gauge a team from the outside than somebody who lives in the community so I'd like to hear what fans in Buffalo, Douglas, Torrington, Powell, Rawlins, Worland etc. have to say about how their summer is going?

I guess I"ll go first.

The Braves do not have a big senior class. In fact, it's likely single digits. It was never a big class to begin with but the standard attrition has cut it down a bit. The ones that are back will be key contributors but the team will be counting on incoming juniors and sophomores to contribute more this year than it has been for many years. The strength of the team should be offensive line, although we aren't very big. In fact, I look at rosters from Cody every year and wonder what we are doing wrong in terms of kids over 200 pounds. Last year we had 3 total and one of them moved in! More of the same this year, most of our guys will be between 180-190.

Anyway, I think we have a very good QB ready to start with one proven WR and one proven RB. Our other two WRs will be guys that need to fill the roles as will our other RB. In watching offensive drills during camps and such, I think there are very capable skill position guys but they are unproven.

Defensively we might be very young in the secondary which concerns me a bit. I think the groups coming up will be very good but this year we are green.

My random thoughts on other 3A teams that I"ve been wondering about include Cody's offense and those kids who will be starting for their 3rd year, Powell's machine and how they reload, Douglas, same as Powell, and I'm interested to know more about Torrington's passing attack and the stud kid from Rawlins that I read about. I also would express my condolences to the Powell community about Coach Stringer. He has been a topic of sadness and concern all week here as I'm sure he has been across the state.

Anyway, hopefully we can have a discussion and have some fun leading up to the season.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

StarValleyPoke wrote:I was just wondering if there are any folks from the 3A football ranks that can bounce some things around in a thread like this? It's always more difficult to gauge a team from the outside than somebody who lives in the community so I'd like to hear what fans in Buffalo, Douglas, Torrington, Powell, Rawlins, Worland etc. have to say about how their summer is going?

I guess I"ll go first.

The Braves do not have a big senior class. In fact, it's likely single digits. It was never a big class to begin with but the standard attrition has cut it down a bit. The ones that are back will be key contributors but the team will be counting on incoming juniors and sophomores to contribute more this year than it has been for many years. The strength of the team should be offensive line, although we aren't very big. In fact, I look at rosters from Cody every year and wonder what we are doing wrong in terms of kids over 200 pounds. Last year we had 3 total and one of them moved in! More of the same this year, most of our guys will be between 180-190.

Anyway, I think we have a very good QB ready to start with one proven WR and one proven RB. Our other two WRs will be guys that need to fill the roles as will our other RB. In watching offensive drills during camps and such, I think there are very capable skill position guys but they are unproven.

Defensively we might be very young in the secondary which concerns me a bit. I think the groups coming up will be very good but this year we are green.

My random thoughts on other 3A teams that I"ve been wondering about include Cody's offense and those kids who will be starting for their 3rd year, Powell's machine and how they reload, Douglas, same as Powell, and I'm interested to know more about Torrington's passing attack and the stud kid from Rawlins that I read about. I also would express my condolences to the Powell community about Coach Stringer. He has been a topic of sadness and concern all week here as I'm sure he has been across the state.

Anyway, hopefully we can have a discussion and have some fun leading up to the season.
I'm not sure a lot of people care too much about high school football on this message board, except I know of a few that will definitely talk with ya about wyo high school football.

Stymeman is a Buffalo fan I think. Normally these end up talking about how everyone hates Casper or something like that.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

BeaverPoke wrote:I'm not sure a lot of people care too much about high school football on this message board, except I know of a few that will definitely talk with ya about wyo high school football.

Stymeman is a Buffalo fan I think. Normally these end up talking about how everyone hates Casper or something like that.
I don't hate Casper. It's my hometown and I miss it. Oh, btw, GO Kelly Walsh!!!! Yeah, I know KW stinks what else is new?! :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wyokie wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:I'm not sure a lot of people care too much about high school football on this message board, except I know of a few that will definitely talk with ya about wyo high school football.

I don't hate Casper. It's my hometown and I miss it. Oh, btw, GO Kelly Walsh!!!! Yeah, I know KW stinks what else is new?! :roll:
Not as bad as Laramie. :(
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I played at Rock Springs when we went 22-0 and won two state champs and also coached at Kemmerer for a year, so I have a little knowledge of WYO HS football.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

djm19 wrote:
classic!!!! My Buffalo Bison aren't doing so hot
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

stymeman wrote:
djm19 wrote:
Did you just call one of the worst movies ever made a "classic"? You disappoint me.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
stymeman wrote:
djm19 wrote:
Did you just call one of the worst movies ever made a "classic"? You disappoint me.
Did u just call one of the greatest movies one of the worst?
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
stymeman wrote:
djm19 wrote:
Did u just call one of the greatest movies one of the worst?
Hard to be "great" when it sucks so hard it makes the sheep look good and BYU humble looking.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

kansasCowboy wrote:I played at Rock Springs when we went 22-0 and won two state champs and also coached at Kemmerer for a year, so I have a little knowledge of WYO HS football.
I had to deal with the 90's before you when they were absolutely awful. Lost 12 games straight between 93 and 95. It's really poop when the best thing on a Friday night in Rock Springs is Football but the high school can't win. :(

sitting in the dirt lot on the strip > watching the Tigers get whooped
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

kansasCowboy wrote:I played at Rock Springs when we went 22-0 and won two state champs and also coached at Kemmerer for a year, so I have a little knowledge of WYO HS football.
Narcissism with a little Glory Days Syndrome on the side. Gotta love it.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

Buffalo Bison, gawd awful...lol
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Narcissism with a little Glory Days Syndrome on the side. Gotta love it.
No narcissism, just pure fact. When you're team goes 22-0, you've earned the right to brag. But I don't. I just brought it up is all.