WHSAA Championship Weekend

Wyoming High School sports, pro sports, other college sports
Post Reply
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 5579
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Gillette, WY

WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by stymeman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:34 pm

Interesting to see teams from Northern Wyoming 35 miles apart. Sheridan, Buffalo and Big Horn, wishing them all well, good article in Buffalo Bulletin talking about the state tipping over from all the people going to Laramie from the North. Go Bison, for sure!!!

User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 5918
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by LanderPoke » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm going to try to catch 4A

User avatar
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 2622
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 am

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by WestWYOPoke » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:02 pm

1A-6 man: Farson-Eden...wow. What can you say, pure domination. Halfway through the 1st quarter they had run 4 plays and scored 3 TDs. Finished the season 11-0 and only had 1 close game (Burlington in the regular season, but not today). Would be interesting to see how these guys would match up against 6-man squads from other states, I bet they would do more than just hold their own.

3A: Only a one possession game at halftime (14-7 in Star Valley's favor). But a turnover right off the bat in the second half and a quick score put Torrington under the gun and the SV defense would keep them in check. Star Valley's offense had enough playmakers to keep the Torrington defense guessing and the Braves pulled away for the win.
Image

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 5579
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Gillette, WY

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by stymeman » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:14 am

I hope the Wyoming coaching staff is looking at Buffalo's Luke Glassock at kicker, 49 touchbacks(and counting) and real stong leg to be a future replacement for Cooper Rothe, good stuff for Wyoming High School football and so far so good for the Bison

User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 5918
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by LanderPoke » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Caught 4A. Mustangs were too much. They should win every year when they can hand pick kids from a town of 75,000. I'll try to resurrect the PArker Christiansen thread and post my thoughts there for him

User avatar
Poke in New England
Ranch Hand
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:05 pm
Contact:

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by Poke in New England » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:59 pm

LanderPoke wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 pm
Caught 4A. Mustangs were too much. They should win every year when they can hand pick kids from a town of 75,000. I'll try to resurrect the PArker Christiansen thread and post my thoughts there for him
Casper must have grown by 20,000 people :rofl: Natrona has one of the best coaches in state history and the best facilities anywhere. But yeah it's cause school choice that they win!

User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 5918
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by LanderPoke » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Poke in New England wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:59 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 pm
Caught 4A. Mustangs were too much. They should win every year when they can hand pick kids from a town of 75,000. I'll try to resurrect the PArker Christiansen thread and post my thoughts there for him
Casper must have grown by 20,000 people :rofl: Natrona has one of the best coaches in state history and the best facilities anywhere. But yeah it's cause school choice that they win!
Metro area of 81k. Lol. They have the highest enrollment and cherry pick the best kids from Kelly Walsh. The deck is stacked. Best coach and facilities. Lol. It’s a stacked deck. You are too funny

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 5579
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Gillette, WY

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by stymeman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:50 pm

I sure hope we get a true accurate count this next Census count, as we rarely know the exact size of Casper and Cheyenne, bigger than what people think, Casper needs 3 WHSAA high schools too

Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1366
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Pinedale, WY

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by Cornpoke » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:05 am

Did anyone watch the broadcast? I was one of the announcers for the 3A and 2A games. It was an awesome experience to be up in the Press box and be in the TV booth. Did my best Dave Walsh impression :cool:
I'm good for 3!

User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 5918
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by LanderPoke » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:16 am

Cornpoke wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:05 am
Did anyone watch the broadcast? I was one of the announcers for the 3A and 2A games. It was an awesome experience to be up in the Press box and be in the TV booth. Did my best Dave Walsh impression :cool:
I did not catch the games on broadcast. That's very cool , though

User avatar
Poke in New England
Ranch Hand
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:05 pm
Contact:

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by Poke in New England » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 pm

LanderPoke wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:41 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:59 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 pm
Caught 4A. Mustangs were too much. They should win every year when they can hand pick kids from a town of 75,000. I'll try to resurrect the PArker Christiansen thread and post my thoughts there for him
Casper must have grown by 20,000 people :rofl: Natrona has one of the best coaches in state history and the best facilities anywhere. But yeah it's cause school choice that they win!
Metro area of 81k. Lol. They have the highest enrollment and cherry pick the best kids from Kelly Walsh. The deck is stacked. Best coach and facilities. Lol. It’s a stacked deck. You are too funny
Man I grew up there and go back frequently. The idea that there are 26,000 people feeding into Casper from the surrounding "metro area" (whatever that means in Wyoming) is ridiculous. But even taking what you're saying as realistic, then by that logic Natrona or KW should win every 4A sport with the better program "cherry-picking" from the other (again, whatever that means). The booming Casper metropolis seems to have failed these schools in wrestling, basketball, swimming, soccer etc.

User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 5918
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by LanderPoke » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:09 pm

Poke in New England wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:41 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:59 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 pm
Caught 4A. Mustangs were too much. They should win every year when they can hand pick kids from a town of 75,000. I'll try to resurrect the PArker Christiansen thread and post my thoughts there for him
Casper must have grown by 20,000 people :rofl: Natrona has one of the best coaches in state history and the best facilities anywhere. But yeah it's cause school choice that they win!
Metro area of 81k. Lol. They have the highest enrollment and cherry pick the best kids from Kelly Walsh. The deck is stacked. Best coach and facilities. Lol. It’s a stacked deck. You are too funny
Man I grew up there and go back frequently. The idea that there are 26,000 people feeding into Casper from the surrounding "metro area" (whatever that means in Wyoming) is ridiculous. But even taking what you're saying as realistic, then by that logic Natrona or KW should win every 4A sport with the better program "cherry-picking" from the other (again, whatever that means). The booming Casper metropolis seems to have failed these schools in wrestling, basketball, swimming, soccer etc.
It means that 26k people live just outside of the city limits, but still go to casper high shools. Not a hard concept.

Now that Gillette has split their high school one Casper HS should dominate each sport. Especially since you can choose whatever school you want to attend, no questions asked. It's not difficult to understand that if you have more kids to pick from you will win more often than not. I guess it's an indictment of the people of casper that they aren't better in certain sports, but the deck is certainly stacked. There should be three HS in casper with hard and fast boundaries.

User avatar
Poke in New England
Ranch Hand
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:05 pm
Contact:

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by Poke in New England » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 pm

LanderPoke wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:09 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:41 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:59 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 pm
Caught 4A. Mustangs were too much. They should win every year when they can hand pick kids from a town of 75,000. I'll try to resurrect the PArker Christiansen thread and post my thoughts there for him
Casper must have grown by 20,000 people :rofl: Natrona has one of the best coaches in state history and the best facilities anywhere. But yeah it's cause school choice that they win!
Metro area of 81k. Lol. They have the highest enrollment and cherry pick the best kids from Kelly Walsh. The deck is stacked. Best coach and facilities. Lol. It’s a stacked deck. You are too funny
Man I grew up there and go back frequently. The idea that there are 26,000 people feeding into Casper from the surrounding "metro area" (whatever that means in Wyoming) is ridiculous. But even taking what you're saying as realistic, then by that logic Natrona or KW should win every 4A sport with the better program "cherry-picking" from the other (again, whatever that means). The booming Casper metropolis seems to have failed these schools in wrestling, basketball, swimming, soccer etc.
It means that 26k people live just outside of the city limits, but still go to casper high shools. Not a hard concept.

Now that Gillette has split their high school one Casper HS should dominate each sport. Especially since you can choose whatever school you want to attend, no questions asked. It's not difficult to understand that if you have more kids to pick from you will win more often than not. I guess it's an indictment of the people of casper that they aren't better in certain sports, but the deck is certainly stacked. There should be three HS in casper with hard and fast boundaries.
Hmmm. The deck is stacked but we can't see any evidence of that because every coach (except Steve Harshman who is cherry-picking/recruiting) is incompetent. Seems like an awfully convenient argument. If you think Natrona's success in football is simply a result of picking off kids from East Casper then there's a lot you don't know about the program.

User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 5918
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by LanderPoke » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Poke in New England wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:09 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:41 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:59 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 pm
Caught 4A. Mustangs were too much. They should win every year when they can hand pick kids from a town of 75,000. I'll try to resurrect the PArker Christiansen thread and post my thoughts there for him
Casper must have grown by 20,000 people :rofl: Natrona has one of the best coaches in state history and the best facilities anywhere. But yeah it's cause school choice that they win!
Metro area of 81k. Lol. They have the highest enrollment and cherry pick the best kids from Kelly Walsh. The deck is stacked. Best coach and facilities. Lol. It’s a stacked deck. You are too funny
Man I grew up there and go back frequently. The idea that there are 26,000 people feeding into Casper from the surrounding "metro area" (whatever that means in Wyoming) is ridiculous. But even taking what you're saying as realistic, then by that logic Natrona or KW should win every 4A sport with the better program "cherry-picking" from the other (again, whatever that means). The booming Casper metropolis seems to have failed these schools in wrestling, basketball, swimming, soccer etc.
It means that 26k people live just outside of the city limits, but still go to casper high shools. Not a hard concept.

Now that Gillette has split their high school one Casper HS should dominate each sport. Especially since you can choose whatever school you want to attend, no questions asked. It's not difficult to understand that if you have more kids to pick from you will win more often than not. I guess it's an indictment of the people of casper that they aren't better in certain sports, but the deck is certainly stacked. There should be three HS in casper with hard and fast boundaries.
Hmmm. The deck is stacked but we can't see any evidence of that because every coach (except Steve Harshman who is cherry-picking/recruiting) is incompetent. Seems like an awfully convenient argument. If you think Natrona's success in football is simply a result of picking off kids from East Casper then there's a lot you don't know about the program.
First and foremost it's the result of having the most kids to pick from and secondly cherry picking from KW. Everyone knows if you play football in Casper you go to NC, swimming you go to KW, soccer KW, bball NC, wrestling NC, skiing, KW, etc..

Who are the most successful HS in Wyoming? The ones with the most kids to pick fom

User avatar
Poke in New England
Ranch Hand
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:05 pm
Contact:

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by Poke in New England » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:12 pm

LanderPoke wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:14 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:09 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:41 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:59 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 pm
Caught 4A. Mustangs were too much. They should win every year when they can hand pick kids from a town of 75,000. I'll try to resurrect the PArker Christiansen thread and post my thoughts there for him
Casper must have grown by 20,000 people :rofl: Natrona has one of the best coaches in state history and the best facilities anywhere. But yeah it's cause school choice that they win!
Metro area of 81k. Lol. They have the highest enrollment and cherry pick the best kids from Kelly Walsh. The deck is stacked. Best coach and facilities. Lol. It’s a stacked deck. You are too funny
Man I grew up there and go back frequently. The idea that there are 26,000 people feeding into Casper from the surrounding "metro area" (whatever that means in Wyoming) is ridiculous. But even taking what you're saying as realistic, then by that logic Natrona or KW should win every 4A sport with the better program "cherry-picking" from the other (again, whatever that means). The booming Casper metropolis seems to have failed these schools in wrestling, basketball, swimming, soccer etc.
It means that 26k people live just outside of the city limits, but still go to casper high shools. Not a hard concept.

Now that Gillette has split their high school one Casper HS should dominate each sport. Especially since you can choose whatever school you want to attend, no questions asked. It's not difficult to understand that if you have more kids to pick from you will win more often than not. I guess it's an indictment of the people of casper that they aren't better in certain sports, but the deck is certainly stacked. There should be three HS in casper with hard and fast boundaries.
Hmmm. The deck is stacked but we can't see any evidence of that because every coach (except Steve Harshman who is cherry-picking/recruiting) is incompetent. Seems like an awfully convenient argument. If you think Natrona's success in football is simply a result of picking off kids from East Casper then there's a lot you don't know about the program.
First and foremost it's the result of having the most kids to pick from and secondly cherry picking from KW. Everyone knows if you play football in Casper you go to NC, swimming you go to KW, soccer KW, bball NC, wrestling NC, skiing, KW, etc..

Who are the most successful HS in Wyoming? The ones with the most kids to pick fom
When I was in school a group of basketball-focused kids, including some from West Casper, chose KW to try and win a state bball title. When they were they were seniors Natrona knocked them out of the bball playoffs with a bunch of football players and then beat Gillette to win state. If KW didn't have such an inferiority complex they could do the same in football.

User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 5918
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

Re: WHSAA Championship Weekend

Post by LanderPoke » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:40 am

Poke in New England wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:12 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:14 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:09 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:41 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:59 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 pm
Caught 4A. Mustangs were too much. They should win every year when they can hand pick kids from a town of 75,000. I'll try to resurrect the PArker Christiansen thread and post my thoughts there for him
Casper must have grown by 20,000 people :rofl: Natrona has one of the best coaches in state history and the best facilities anywhere. But yeah it's cause school choice that they win!
Metro area of 81k. Lol. They have the highest enrollment and cherry pick the best kids from Kelly Walsh. The deck is stacked. Best coach and facilities. Lol. It’s a stacked deck. You are too funny
Man I grew up there and go back frequently. The idea that there are 26,000 people feeding into Casper from the surrounding "metro area" (whatever that means in Wyoming) is ridiculous. But even taking what you're saying as realistic, then by that logic Natrona or KW should win every 4A sport with the better program "cherry-picking" from the other (again, whatever that means). The booming Casper metropolis seems to have failed these schools in wrestling, basketball, swimming, soccer etc.
It means that 26k people live just outside of the city limits, but still go to casper high shools. Not a hard concept.

Now that Gillette has split their high school one Casper HS should dominate each sport. Especially since you can choose whatever school you want to attend, no questions asked. It's not difficult to understand that if you have more kids to pick from you will win more often than not. I guess it's an indictment of the people of casper that they aren't better in certain sports, but the deck is certainly stacked. There should be three HS in casper with hard and fast boundaries.
Hmmm. The deck is stacked but we can't see any evidence of that because every coach (except Steve Harshman who is cherry-picking/recruiting) is incompetent. Seems like an awfully convenient argument. If you think Natrona's success in football is simply a result of picking off kids from East Casper then there's a lot you don't know about the program.
First and foremost it's the result of having the most kids to pick from and secondly cherry picking from KW. Everyone knows if you play football in Casper you go to NC, swimming you go to KW, soccer KW, bball NC, wrestling NC, skiing, KW, etc..

Who are the most successful HS in Wyoming? The ones with the most kids to pick fom
When I was in school a group of basketball-focused kids, including some from West Casper, chose KW to try and win a state bball title. When they were they were seniors Natrona knocked them out of the bball playoffs with a bunch of football players and then beat Gillette to win state. If KW didn't have such an inferiority complex they could do the same in football.
I agree that KW does and always has had an inferiority complex ha ha.

Post Reply