TA&M Commerce

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

307bball wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:27 pm
flyfishwyo wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:42 pm

It's absolutely Linder's place to say. He's flat telling you he expects some fan support if he's going to stick around. If you can't understand that, I'm not sure we can have an intelligent conversation about the subject. Stop justifying bandwagon fan behavior.

This isn't a Schryer/Edwards situation. He's earned our trust with the results we've seen in the last 2 seasons. They've lost two of their top 3 players from last year, and the other has been missing from the last few games. Add in some new guys and it's not a surprise to anyone who knows anything about college basketball that they're struggling to find the right chemistry to get back on track. They showed last night they're starting to figure it out.

I know I'm preaching to the choir on this forum. It sure wouldn't hurt the cause to tell a friend, "I know the team is struggling, but they'll get it figured out. Buy a ticket and come see. They'll get better."
I understand exactly what Linder is saying...I've heard it from coaches before. And we all know how it fires up a fan base to be scolded by an unexpectedly underperforming coach..Oh, wait..no it just sounds entitled. Sports is an entertainment product...if it ain't entertaining....no amount of being told by a coach that attendance isn't what it should be is going to make it so. There are two ways Linder ends his tenure here...he either does great and gets poached by a big time program or he flames out and can't keep talent coming in and gets fired...either way...attendance won't matter.

And whoever is the numbnuts is that decided being a bandwagon fan is a bad thing should be beat behind the wood shed. Whether it's Wyoming basketball or Alabama football...the "bandwagon" fan is what floats those programs. Even those power programs fans would leave if they lost enough...then most of those "die-hards" would be revealed to be just what they always were....Bandwagon. Heck...I wish I was a bandwagon fan...then I wouldn't be so down about my favorite team for pretty much my entire adult life outside of a MWC tournament win and a handful of surprising football victories.
My view: More people in the stands leads to more resources leads to better coaches and players leads to a better entertainment product.

Your view: Put out a great product and maybe fans show up until an injury plagued losing skid. Then start the cycle over.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:11 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:27 pm

I understand exactly what Linder is saying...I've heard it from coaches before. And we all know how it fires up a fan base to be scolded by an unexpectedly underperforming coach..Oh, wait..no it just sounds entitled. Sports is an entertainment product...if it ain't entertaining....no amount of being told by a coach that attendance isn't what it should be is going to make it so. There are two ways Linder ends his tenure here...he either does great and gets poached by a big time program or he flames out and can't keep talent coming in and gets fired...either way...attendance won't matter.

And whoever is the numbnuts is that decided being a bandwagon fan is a bad thing should be beat behind the wood shed. Whether it's Wyoming basketball or Alabama football...the "bandwagon" fan is what floats those programs. Even those power programs fans would leave if they lost enough...then most of those "die-hards" would be revealed to be just what they always were....Bandwagon. Heck...I wish I was a bandwagon fan...then I wouldn't be so down about my favorite team for pretty much my entire adult life outside of a MWC tournament win and a handful of surprising football victories.
My view: More people in the stands leads to more resources leads to better coaches and players leads to a better entertainment product.

Your view: Put out a great product and maybe fans show up until an injury plagued losing skid. Then start the cycle over.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.
At least be accurate when your are trying to recount somebody else's position.

First.... There is no maybe about it.... And I've seen it at Wyoming. A great product absolutely will cause fans to show up.

Second.... The product will come before the fans.... Otherwise there is no incentive signal. And previous wins fade with time.

Look I have faith in Linder.... But we are not talking about a huge runway of dance appearances and conference titles on the guys resume.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

If I was local I’d go. I can see the potential. But I’m not about to spend 6 hours driving and the costs associated until they start consistently showing up too.

That SE Louisiana game got me all kinds of slaty.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Honestly it takes sustained success and tradition to build good attendance. We've been mostly trash with a couple good seasons in there the last 20 years. I go to the games with four of us, so this is all choir preaching
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:34 am Honestly it takes sustained success and tradition to build good attendance. We've been mostly trash with a couple good seasons in there the last 20 years. I go to the games with four of us, so this is all choir preaching
Hey coach, surely you know..."Build it, and they will come". You haven't built it. Yet. :thumb:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...