Southland conference champions: Nicholls State, Thursday 8:00 p.m.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Talked to JO, concussion protocol, and Noah was using a massager on his back calf. It wasn't a purdy game, but Nichols came to play and if it weren't for 7220 and our depth, we mighta squeaked by...2-0 and we move along
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:04 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:03 pm That sure was sloppy but its nice to be able to beat a defending conference champ by 10 points while missing 2 starters, shooting poorly, and having 20 turnovers.
Do you know if their team is substantially the same as last year’s?
No they have 7 transfers this year.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

There was a lot of turnover there but their head coach is still there and is coming off back to back conference championships.

We'll see, but I think this is going to end up a quad 2 win by the end of the season.

That team forced Arizona into 24 turnovers in their game this year.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Old-Bull wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:54 am There was a lot of turnover there but their head coach is still there and is coming off back to back conference championships.

We'll see, but I think this is going to end up a quad 2 win by the end of the season.

I looked up the stats from the Nichols state vs Arizona game....very similar with one exception...Arizona shot 72% from the field!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

307bball wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:57 am
Old-Bull wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:54 am There was a lot of turnover there but their head coach is still there and is coming off back to back conference championships.

I looked up the stats from the Nichols state vs Arizona game....very similar with one exception...Arizona shot 72% from the field!!!
Crazy. We were getting great looks from deep but couldn’t knock them down. And we don’t have a post scoring presence without Ike
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:59 am
307bball wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:57 am

Crazy. We were getting great looks from deep but couldn’t knock them down. And we don’t have a post scoring presence without Ike
We still have Maldo who's one of the best post players in the game.

It will be interesting to see how this faster offense develops because Maldo hasn't been going off in the post and we know what he can do down there. With Ike out you would think Maldo would get 20 points a night in the post.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Old-Bull wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:19 pm

It will be interesting to see how this faster offense develops because Maldo hasn't been going off in the post and we know what he can do down there. With Ike out you would think Maldo would get 20 points a night in the post.
They seemingly doubled maldo wherever he was on the court and it worked well for them. We turned it over lots and lots
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

[/quote]

Last year when he ran the point, he was usually guarded by the other team's PG. When we have Ethan and/or Noah on the floor, that's probably not going to happen as often.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Old-Bull wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:19 pm

As others have said - Maldo was not very effective in the post at all against Nicholls. He appeared to struggle against bigger players and especially against the double team. He got flustered and turned the ball over. We just can’t have that. I felt better about the offense last night when Maldo didn’t handle the ball.
Z-money
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

jwy_poke wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:30 pm
Z-money wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:59 pm

Wow, somehow even closer than we played them last year :( :( :(
Wrong Pokes lost 94 - 65 thirteen points less.
I was making a joke. That game last year was an incredibly painful loss. I'm allowed to be hyperbolic.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

WTF just happened? I wasn't even going to pay attention to basketball until after football season assuming we would just win until conference play
I'm good for 3!