Wyoming Wrestling 2022-2023

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Figured I’d start a thread for wrestling. I think this is going to be a good year. Buchanan is back looking for a title, Hastings is looking to be an AA. Wright the same. We’ve got some young studs coming into the program and it’ll be interesting to see who cracks the roster and makes noise
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:21 pm Figured I’d start a thread for wrestling. I think this is going to be a good year. Buchanan is back looking for a title, Hastings is looking to be an AA. Wright the same. We’ve got some young studs coming into the program and it’ll be interesting to see who cracks the roster and makes noise
They picked up right where they left off with recruiting. They just got another stud from Minnesota. All these new top 100 recruits should definitely ratchet up the level of competition.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:43 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:21 pm Figured I’d start a thread for wrestling. I think this is going to be a good year. Buchanan is back looking for a title, Hastings is looking to be an AA. Wright the same. We’ve got some young studs coming into the program and it’ll be interesting to see who cracks the roster and makes noise
They picked up right where they left off with recruiting. They just got another stud from Minnesota. All these new top 100 recruits should definitely ratchet up the level of competition.
I saw that. Minnesota has been good to us lately

Anyway, we have four top 100 recruits that are true freshmen in the wrestling room currently. There is a freshman HWT that is highly touted, wonder if he will crack the lineup

Something I thought was weird was that intermat didn’t have Volk ranked in their latest rankings. Even after winning worlds. He’s going to have to earn some respect
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:30 pm

Something I thought was weird was that intermat didn’t have Volk ranked in their latest rankings. Even after winning worlds. He’s going to have to earn some respect
I agree with intermat. How can you rank him in folkstyle that high when he has never had close to that level of success in folkstyle? If he makes the lineup and comes out winning matches, he will be ranked soon enough.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

For a guy that only wrestled a year as a youngster and played basketball instead, what are the differences between the different styles? I would think if you have the skills to be a world champion at one, that should apply to the other style, but I may be wrong.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

If our guys stay healthy and our team performs to our potential I believe this team over the course of the next three years could win the Big XII and push for top 10 finishes. We're young now, but lord do we have studs now, incoming and already on the team. Cowboy Wrestling I feel is about to go to a whole other level.
Last edited by aranderson on Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Old-Bull wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:33 pm For a guy that only wrestled a year as a youngster and played basketball instead, what are the differences between the different styles? I would think if you have the skills to be a world champion at one, that should apply to the other style, but I may be wrong.
The similarity between freestyle and folk style is on the feet (I.e takedowns). Mat wresting is completely different. There are many examples of wrestlers really good in one but not so great in the other.

Bryce Meredith for example was a much better folk style wrestler based on results. (Although he was good in both)
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

aranderson wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:30 pm If our guys stay healthy and our team performs to our potential I believe this team over the course of the next three years could win the Big IX and push for top 10 finishes. We're young now, but lord do we have studs now, incoming and already on the team. Cowboy Wrestling I feel is about to go to a whole other level.
Oklahoma State will remain a huge challenge. But I like the trajectory!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:26 pm

I agree with intermat. How can you rank him in folkstyle that high when he has never had close to that level of success in folkstyle? If he makes the lineup and comes out winning matches, he will be ranked soon enough.
Intermat ranks true freshmen sometimes. Look at the other wrestlers who accomplished what Volk did at the junior worlds. Their track record is pretty great in college, so I think ranking Volk ~20 would be justified, despite his relative lack of collegiate-style success. Intermat ranks like 35 wrestlers and still no Volk. He should use that as motivation, because he's got some doubters to prove wrong.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:38 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:26 pm

Intermat ranks true freshmen sometimes. Look at the other wrestlers who accomplished what Volk did at the junior worlds. Their track record is pretty great in college, so I think ranking Volk ~20 would be justified, despite his relative lack of collegiate-style success. Intermat ranks like 35 wrestlers and still no Volk. He should use that as motivation, because he's got some doubters to prove wrong.
I hope he doesn't give a poop what some publication thinks about who he can/can't beat before he has even wrestled a single college match. Given how he competed at the world championships, he obviously is hungry. He just needs to go out and let it fly!
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Did Analu Benabise quit the team? I dont see him listed on the roster
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

303cowboy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:23 am Did Analu Benabise quit the team? I dont see him listed on the roster
I don't see him. Too bad.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:31 am
303cowboy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:23 am Did Analu Benabise quit the team? I dont see him listed on the roster
Well that's a bummer. After placing in the Cowboy open as a junior in high school, I thought he might be really successful.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:52 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:31 am
Well that's a bummer. After placing in the Cowboy open as a junior in high school, I thought he might be really successful.
Looks like he only had an OK year as a redshirt. Usually, redshirts, if they are going to become successful varsity wrestlers at UW, have better success than Benabise had, who went only 16-14. Still sucks to see a Wyoming kid leave the program, especially a four time state champ.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

CowboyNV wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:54 am Glad they survived the attack:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/2-college-wre ... 04284.html
You should read the Cowboy News Daily for the real story. These guys are tough as nails. One wrestler literally pulled the bear off of his teammate to save him.