We have a couple of scrimmages vs. super secret opponents coming up.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

We scrimmage against Northern Colorado and CU. I'm surprised Boyle wasn't too chicken poop to schedule a scrimmage.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

What was the team doing in Cheyenne today?
W-Y, Until I Die!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:58 pm What was the team doing in Cheyenne today?
Open scrimmage for the public.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Sure wish they'd reconsider the Cowboy Shootout in Casper if even for a single game!!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

stymeman wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:44 am Sure wish they'd reconsider the Cowboy Shootout in Casper if even for a single game!!!
I agree. I was at the 1990 tourny there and loved it. Plus, Casper is my hometown.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

stymeman wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:44 am Sure wish they'd reconsider the Cowboy Shootout in Casper if even for a single game!!!
The community stopped supporting it. As years went on, it became less and less important to Casper & the folks in that area.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:48 pm
The community stopped supporting it. As years went on, it became less and less important to Casper & the folks in that area.
I don’t know if I buy that explanation. It was difficult to get good seats unless you were what they called a “season ticket holder”. If you were one, each year you could get a better seat if other holders failed to renew. I was right up to the end and never did get really good seats. As I understood it at the time they had difficulty getting decent opponents to come to Casper in December and UW didn’t feel it was worth the effort. I thought it was a great way to get people on the other side of the state to watch the Pokes in person without having to travel all the way to Laramie.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

ZapPoke wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:01 pm
I don’t know if I buy that explanation. It was difficult to get good seats unless you were what they called a “season ticket holder”. If you were one, each year you could get a better seat if other holders failed to renew. I was right up to the end and never did get really good seats. As I understood it at the time they had difficulty getting decent opponents to come to Casper in December and UW didn’t feel it was worth the effort. I thought it was a great way to get people on the other side of the state to watch the Pokes in person without having to travel all the way to Laramie.
They should have tried it in one of Wyoming's nicer towns like Sheridan. Casper isn't exactly a place people like to visit. Its industrial and windy. The only thing it has going for it is the central location and the population.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Old-Bull wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:00 pm
They should have tried it in one of Wyoming's nicer towns like Sheridan. Casper isn't exactly a place people like to visit. Its industrial and windy. The only thing it has going for it is the central location and the population.
I have to disagree. Other than Cheyenne, there's probably not a better place to hold such an event than Casper. Lots of loyal Pokes fans there and there's a lot of them.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

The last 2 years it was held (thinking it ended in 2005?), attendance was far less than 1/2 of the capacity of the big stinky hut (6850). Can't survive with attendance of 2500. That and opponents weren't really lining up, we basically begged Montana State to come in 2005.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:52 am
The last 2 years it was held (thinking it ended in 2005?), attendance was far less than 1/2 of the capacity of the big stinky hut (6850). Can't survive with attendance of 2500. That and opponents weren't really lining up, we basically begged Montana State to come in 2005.
Who wants to go to Casper in the winter, especially now that you can do all your Christmas shopping on-line? Cold, windy, industrial shi+holes aren't very high on the list for people to visit. There are only a couple of towns in Wyoming less attractive than Casper and their names are Rock Springs and Gillette.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Old-Bull wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:07 pm
Who wants to go to Casper in the winter, especially now that you can do all your Christmas shopping on-line? Cold, windy, industrial shi+holes aren't very high on the list for people to visit. There are only a couple of towns in Wyoming less attractive than Casper and their names are Rock Springs and Gillette.
Hold your biscuits, Gillette is not that bad! The city has undergone quite the transformation over the last 15 or so years. Granted that's my home town, but I can understand the sentiment if it were 20 years ago, however it's way better and way different now. City beautification projects and not to mention they have some of the finest facilities in the state aside from UW itself.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

aranderson wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:34 pm
Hold your biscuits, Gillette is not that bad! The city has undergone quite the transformation over the last 15 or so years. Granted that's my home town, but I can understand the sentiment if it were 20 years ago, however it's way better and way different now. City beautification projects and not to mention they have some of the finest facilities in the state aside from UW itself.
AND...Casper isn't that bad of a place. The ONLY negative is the damned wind!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I have heard Gillette is way less crappy. Good. It was the butthole of Wyoming, and even has a syndrome named after it. There are some real nice people from Gillette that I know. Good people. Also, it would be nice if the people there would support UW more instead of North Dakota, South Dakota or wherever they immigrated from. There's a pathetic number of CJC members in Campbell County.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Yeah, most of the Gillette resentment comes from having to play them in sports during the "one school" era, when you would have 30 guys on your sideline and Gillette would have 80 on theirs.

That and Gillette attracts a metric butt-ton of uneducated trash from out of state to work in the coal mines. So it was ground zero for stupid people lacking western ethics that had a lot of money to blow.

Anyone that's went camping on the Bighorns knows that if you set up your campsite, you can guarantee that some doucher with 17 county plates will come set up his camp right on top of yours, ignoring the 60,000 empty camp sites that aren't right up your ass, then steal all your firewood while your out fishing, and play Nickleback until 4 in the morning as they come begging for beer when they run out of Zima's.

There are some good people from Gillette. It's just the bad ones make it really hard to find the good ones. The only good thing about the leftists shutting down the coal industry is it sent a bunch of West Virginians back to West Virginia. The a$$hole ratio in 17 county went way down.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Any info on how the first secret scrimmage went?
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

WyomingAgJ wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:34 am Any info on how the first secret scrimmage went?
Good question. I just cruised the Buff board to see if there was anything out of their camp, but so far.....nothing.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Still no word on the scrimmage?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

Yeah.....cuz there's sooooo many more important things to do on a winter's night in the Oil City...(rollin my eyes)