2023 recruits....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Old-Bull wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:56 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:58 pm

I know the staff struck out on a really really high major prospect big man (McFarland)who they thought they were going to get. And in the process turned off a different big man (De Luna) that went to Fullerton. The staff wants a big man this year still
I don't know if I would call that striking out. McFarland would have been the highest rated Wyoming basketball recruit ever. I'm almost 50 and I can't remember Wyoming basketball ever being in the final 3 for a top 60 high school recruit. Just being in his final 3 should be considered a win for our staff. Who knows if that turned off De Luna? He might not have committed here even if we weren't recruiting Jacob.

We do need another big.

I kind of want to see what the staff can do in the late signing period when you have all the transfers in the mix. We'll be recruiting with the momentum of the season and I think this is going to be a great season if Ike comes back on time.
I heard from a coach that’s what happened. They wouldn’t let De Luna commit until they heard from McFarland and that pushed De Luna to Fullerton even though De Luna was ready to commit to us. De Luna’s loss. That’s recruiting though. I’m confident we’ll get someone awesome
Last edited by LanderPoke on Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:07 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:56 pm

I don't know if I would call that striking out. McFarland would have been the highest rated Wyoming basketball recruit ever. I'm almost 50 and I can't remember Wyoming basketball ever being in the final 3 for a top 60 high school recruit. Just being in his final 3 should be considered a win for our staff. Who knows if that turned off De Luna? He might not have committed here even if we weren't recruiting Jacob.

We do need another big.

I kind of want to see what the staff can do in the late signing period when you have all the transfers in the mix. We'll be recruiting with the momentum of the season and I think this is going to be a great season if Ike comes back on time.
I heard from a coach that’s what happened. They wouldn’t let De Luna commit until they heard from McFarland and that pushed De Luna to Fullerton even though De Luna was ready to commit to us. De Luna’s loss. That’s recruiting for though. I’m confident we’ll get someone awesome
That's interesting. I still think the staff made the right decision holding out for a commitment by McFarland. I like De Luna's game and am disappointed we didn't get him.

One thing I've learned is that we can definitely trust this staff when it comes to recruiting. They've been nearly perfect with the way they turned over the roster in 2 seasons.