Linder Extended through 2027

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Maybe it isn’t always about the money. Why do any of us stay in Wyoming when we could make more money elsewhere ? I think for many of us it’s the lifestyle we enjoy. Outdoor activities that are relatively uncrowded, world class fishing and hunting, and a small town atmosphere. One of our former governors (I don’t remember which one) said Wyoming is just a small town with really long streets. I only left for Texas because that’s where my job took me. There isn’t a huge demand here for my particular skill set. I didn’t hate it in Texas but I came back as soon as I could. Wyoming Wildlife magazine along with books by CJ Box and Craig Johnson helped me keep my sanity. Maybe, just maybe, coach Linder is more interested in lifestyle than the big bucks too.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

ZapPoke wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:28 pm Maybe it isn’t always about the money. Why do any of us stay in Wyoming when we could make more money elsewhere ? I think for many of us it’s the lifestyle we enjoy. Outdoor activities that are relatively uncrowded, world class fishing and hunting, and a small town atmosphere. One of our former governors (I don’t remember which one) said Wyoming is just a small town with really long streets. I only left for Texas because that’s where my job took me. There isn’t a huge demand here for my particular skill set. I didn’t hate it in Texas but I came back as soon as I could. Wyoming Wildlife magazine along with books by CJ Box and Craig Johnson helped me keep my sanity. Maybe, just maybe, coach Linder is more interested in lifestyle than the big bucks too.
Your points are valid if he were a Wyoming boy - nonetheless, I hope you could be right. I do like Linder a lot, and what he’s done for Poke basketball.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

The cost of living in Wyoming is a lot lower than some places. Plus, it's one of the lowest tax states as well. I suspect that if Linder has another good year, his contract will be redone. You need at least a million in California to equal 700k in Wyoming. And even a million probably isn't enough.
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

Very hard to tell what his motivation to stay is. Perhaps he likes the environment (and that means everything from climate to lifestyle to program support) at UW. Perhaps he feels a loyalty to the team. Perhaps he's just not that greedy for the big bucks ( I'm not from CA, but I think it would take far, far more than $1M in CA to equal what WY is offering. Maybe he has an ultimate goal of eventually going to one of the really big time programs. Might make sense to build build a mini Gonzaga, then bypass all of the struggling lower P5 openings and go to the top. I say, just be glad he's sticking around for now and then be happy for him when he goes. Everything's a tradeoff. Myself, I could never live anywhere but a big city (or Europe) anymore after growing up in WY. Just far more of the things I want in life there. So I have to tolerate the flip side (higher taxes, noise, crowds, etc.). But that's just me. Linder's wants and needs would definitely be different from anyone else.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:05 pm The cost of living in Wyoming is a lot lower than some places. Plus, it's one of the lowest tax states as well. I suspect that if Linder has another good year, his contract will be redone. You need at least a million in California to equal 700k in Wyoming. And even a million probably isn't enough.
When you make over 700k, even in Wyoming...I would have to ask, what kind of lifestyle are you living? If having an excess of "things" is your deal, then I have to question what is really important in your life....

I get off on taking care of my family, being there for my neighbors, and lending a helping hand to a friend without having to throw money at lawyers to maintain whatever poop it takes to hide money i'll never enjoy.

I will never get the over accumulation of "stuff" for the sake of having "stuff"....
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

PokeTransplant wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:04 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:05 pm The cost of living in Wyoming is a lot lower than some places. Plus, it's one of the lowest tax states as well. I suspect that if Linder has another good year, his contract will be redone. You need at least a million in California to equal 700k in Wyoming. And even a million probably isn't enough.
I get off on taking care of my family
What? LOL.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

When you make over 700k, even in Wyoming...I would have to ask, what kind of lifestyle are you living? If having an excess of "things" is your deal, then I have to question what is really important in your life....

I get off on taking care of my family, being there for my neighbors, and lending a helping hand to a friend without having to throw money at lawyers to maintain whatever [#]sh#t it takes to hide money i'll never enjoy.

I will never get the over accumulation of "stuff" for the sake of having "stuff"....
You may be surprised to learn you can earn $700k (or more!) per year and still take care of your family, be there for your neighbors, or lend a helping hand. Americans in general have a significant problem with accumulating "stuff", but it is hardly exclusive to high earners.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I get off on taking care of my family, being there for my neighbors, and lending a helping hand to a friend without having to throw money at lawyers to maintain whatever [#]sh#t it takes to hide money i'll never enjoy.

I'm so tired of this type of self righteous indignation. You continue to live your pious lifestyle. You sound like the world's greatest father and neighbor. You liberal assholes who feel the need to tell the rest of us how materialistic we are should just keep it to yourself.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:31 am I'm so tired of this type of self righteous indignation. You continue to live your pious lifestyle. You sound like the world's greatest father and neighbor. You liberal assholes who feel the need to tell the rest of us how materialistic we are should just keep it to yourself.
Righteous indignation - typically a reactive emotion of anger over mistreatment, insult, or malice of another.

Could make the argument that this response has a little of that in it as well.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Linder very likely here for the next two seasons. The buyout is about $3.17 million until March 16, 2023. After that date, the buyout drops to $1.58 million. If he leaves for the NBA after March 16, 2023, then there is no buyout. The University did a nice job to get these terms IMO.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:10 am Linder very likely here for the next two seasons. The buyout is about $3.17 million until March 16, 2023. After that date, the buyout drops to $1.58 million. If he leaves for the NBA after March 16, 2023, then there is no buyout. The University did a nice job to get these terms IMO.
I read the article on his contract and he has some nice incentives, as well. It's not as bad as I initially thought.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:10 am Linder very likely here for the next two seasons. The buyout is about $3.17 million until March 16, 2023. After that date, the buyout drops to $1.58 million. If he leaves for the NBA after March 16, 2023, then there is no buyout. The University did a nice job to get these terms IMO.
One small detail, or large detail, this really only guarantees Linder’s here one more year. The buyout dropping by 50% after next season is a big time concession on UW’s side. I hope we can rework the contract next year to get him more $$
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:34 pm
One small detail, or large detail, this really only guarantees Linder’s here one more year. The buyout dropping by 50% after next season is a big time concession on UW’s side. I hope we can rework the contract next year to get him more $$
I agree - not sure what the thinking was with that, of course I certainly wasn't involved in the contract / negotiations! If UW is as successful next year as he was this year (plus) - he will be likely poached, regardless. And that buyout of 1.58 (and even 3.17) won't stop any of the P5 from calling and courting.
Dear Karma,

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:34 pm
I agree - not sure what the thinking was with that, of course I certainly wasn't involved in the contract / negotiations! If UW is as successful next year as he was this year (plus) - he will be likely poached, regardless. And that buyout of 1.58 (and even 3.17) won't stop any of the P5 from calling and courting.
True, if a big boy wants Linder they will probably find the dough to pay any buyout. But 3.17 mil would be a lot better for us than 1.58!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

You're right. I'm getting old and 2023 seemed like 2 years away an not 1 year away.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

You're right. Outside of some very wealthy donor stepping up, we don't and won't have the budget to match most P5 offers. But one recent recruit is Maury Brown's grandson so anything is possible I'd suppose.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:57 pm
You're right. Outside of some very wealthy donor stepping up, we don't and won't have the budget to match most P5 offers. But one recent recruit is Maury Brown's grandson so anything is possible I'd suppose.
Good point.

Side note: Is the kid any good? Will he see the floor? Walk on or scholly?
Dear Karma,

Old-Bull
Cowpoke

So, it's pretty obvious what we have to do as fans if we want another couple of years out of Linder. We need to keep increasing attendance. We need to go to as many games as possible and buy merchandise. We all need to do more as individuals to help the collective.

I think we can keep Linder a while. He's smart enough to know how good of a job Wyoming actually is, he's close to his family, he loves to fish, and he's sitting on a great big pile of new basketball facilities. We probably won't keep him forever, but we still have the ability to put together a better contract for next year.

We're definitely going to have increasing his salary and the deadline for that is March the 16th of next year. Now, we as Cowboys nation have 11 months to attend as many games as possible, and buy everyone Wyoming athletics gear for gifts this year.

The Dome of Doom needs more doom. I'm talking about the kind of doom we brought for Marcus Bailey or Fennis Dembo. It would be nice to give Linder a real Wyoming gift and give him one of our special nights: Marcus hitting free throws against Utah, Hanna and the girls letting us lift a post-season trophy in our own building, or Fennis sitting on the rim making plans to go to New York City. Those crowds were epic. This team deserves one of those. It would make it harder for Jeff to leave. We need to sell-out the AA next year.

Time to get to work Cowboys. We have until Mar 16th to get the next contract signed.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

I am sure this won't be a surprise to most on here, although we haven't seen much conversation about it.

If UW / Burman really wants to extend Linder, and keep him long term, there is a very easy answer: NAMING RIGHTS OF THE AA.

Not saying it would generate a billion, but certainly a million a year (plus). That could all go to salaries. :shock:
Dear Karma,

WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:13 am I am sure this won't be a surprise to most on here, although we haven't seen much conversation about it.

If UW / Burman really wants to extend Linder, and keep him long term, there is a very easy answer: NAMING RIGHTS OF THE AA.

Not saying it would generate a billion, but certainly a million a year (plus). That could all go to salaries. :shock:
We need someone with deep pockets to name it Kenny Sailors Arena. How this hasn't been done by the University yet blows my mind.