Linder Extended through 2027

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:51 am
McPeachy wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:13 am I am sure this won't be a surprise to most on here, although we haven't seen much conversation about it.

If UW / Burman really wants to extend Linder, and keep him long term, there is a very easy answer: NAMING RIGHTS OF THE AA.

Not saying it would generate a billion, but certainly a million a year (plus). That could all go to salaries. :shock:
We need someone with deep pockets to name it Kenny Sailors Arena. How this hasn't been done by the University yet blows my mind.
It seems you all are making some assumptions. When Maury Brown donated and the court was named 'Maury Brown Court,' do you know whether that naming rights agreement contained any restrictions? I'd have a hard time believing someone would just donate a bunch of money to name a court and leave the arena naming rights unburdened...can you imagine "Maury Brown Court at Wal-Mart Liquors Arena"?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:49 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:57 pm
McPeachy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:34 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:34 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:10 am Linder very likely here for the next two seasons. The buyout is about $3.17 million until March 16, 2023. After that date, the buyout drops to $1.58 million. If he leaves for the NBA after March 16, 2023, then there is no buyout. The University did a nice job to get these terms IMO.
One small detail, or large detail, this really only guarantees Linder’s here one more year. The buyout dropping by 50% after next season is a big time concession on UW’s side. I hope we can rework the contract next year to get him more $$
I agree - not sure what the thinking was with that, of course I certainly wasn't involved in the contract / negotiations! If UW is as successful next year as he was this year (plus) - he will be likely poached, regardless. And that buyout of 1.58 (and even 3.17) won't stop any of the P5 from calling and courting.
You're right. Outside of some very wealthy donor stepping up, we don't and won't have the budget to match most P5 offers. But one recent recruit is Maury Brown's grandson so anything is possible I'd suppose.
Good point.

Side note: Is the kid any good? Will he see the floor? Walk on or scholly?
He is a preferred walk-on. I've never watched him play. Those on here that have seem to indicate he is a D1 level talent. I hear he is also a good student.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:51 am
McPeachy wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:13 am I am sure this won't be a surprise to most on here, although we haven't seen much conversation about it.

If UW / Burman really wants to extend Linder, and keep him long term, there is a very easy answer: NAMING RIGHTS OF THE AA.

Not saying it would generate a billion, but certainly a million a year (plus). That could all go to salaries. :shock:
We need someone with deep pockets to name it Kenny Sailors Arena. How this hasn't been done by the University yet blows my mind.
I like that idea, but corporate American likely won't. The whole reason they buy naming rights is just that...naming rights. "Maury Brown Court at Union Pacific Arena" sure has a decent ring to it. Or maybe Maury would want to rename it Kenny Sailors Court...likely not, but you never know.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:07 am
McPeachy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:49 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:57 pm You're right. Outside of some very wealthy donor stepping up, we don't and won't have the budget to match most P5 offers. But one recent recruit is Maury Brown's grandson so anything is possible I'd suppose.
Good point.

Side note: Is the kid any good? Will he see the floor? Walk on or scholly?
He is a preferred walk-on. I've never watched him play. Those on here that have seem to indicate he is a D1 level talent. I hear he is also a good student.
Stats look pretty good. Not much of a 3 point threat, but a good scorer overall.
The 6-3 senior was the fourth-leading scorer in Wyoming during the 2021-22 season at 23.3 points per game. That led the Class 4A boys’ basketball players. He also averaged 8.5 rebounds, 3.9 assists, and 2.6 steals per game. All three stats ranked Talich in the top five of those categories in 4A. He shot 55 percent from the field and 29 percent beyond the arc.

Talich scored a single-game high of 52 points last season. That was in Central’s 106-17 victory over Sheridan, CO on Dec. 16, 2021, in Windsor, CO.
https://wyopreps.com/cheyenne-centrals- ... -a-cowboy/
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Jeff Linder wants to stay in Laramie. Let's help him.

Old-Bull
Cowpoke

The full interview is here,

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Old-Bull wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:43 pm Jeff Linder wants to stay in Laramie. Let's help him.

He's saying all the right things. I hope we can match his expectations as fans and a university