Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Heather Ezell named Cowgirls head coach

https://gowyo.com/news/2022/3/25/womens ... dCKSndWqwI
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Shout out to Gerald. Awesome guy and a great representative for the university and the state. He and Legerski were both class acts and great coaches. The kind of guys that players would run through a wall for. No surprise they had success. Wish Wyoming had more like them. Hoping Coach Ezell learned a lot and can keep that success going.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Due diligence. I know it’s good to keep continuity and stability for a program to be successful, shouldn’t Burman at least look around for other possible candidates?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:05 am Due diligence. I know it’s good to keep continuity and stability for a program to be successful, shouldn’t Burman at least look around for other possible candidates?
The program has been pretty solid for a while. Ezell has been in the program for 7 years. Hard to fault Burman for not looking outside for the women’s program at this point. Women’s basketball isn’t much of a money maker (although I enjoy it and have for many years). If Ezell struggles, then you m look for a program re-start.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:24 pm Shout out to Gerald. Awesome guy and a great representative for the university and the state. He and Legerski were both class acts and great coaches. The kind of guys that players would run through a wall for. No surprise they had success. Wish Wyoming had more like them. Hoping Coach Ezell learned a lot and can keep that success going.
Agreed. End of an era, even though the hire is in-house. Joe and Gerald brought relevance to Women's Basketball at UW in ways nobody could have foreseen 20 years ago and they did it "the right way".

I always loved the Wyoming ties as well. Lots of Wyoming players through the years on the roster, and personally love the Sweetwater County ties (I grew up in GR, but my Mother grew up in RS just a year or two ahead of Joe).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

NowherePoke wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:10 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:24 pm Shout out to Gerald. Awesome guy and a great representative for the university and the state. He and Legerski were both class acts and great coaches. The kind of guys that players would run through a wall for. No surprise they had success. Wish Wyoming had more like them. Hoping Coach Ezell learned a lot and can keep that success going.
Agreed. End of an era, even though the hire is in-house. Joe and Gerald brought relevance to Women's Basketball at UW in ways nobody could have foreseen 20 years ago and they did it "the right way".

I always loved the Wyoming ties as well. Lots of Wyoming players through the years on the roster, and personally love the Sweetwater County ties (I grew up in GR, but my Mother grew up in RS just a year or two ahead of Joe).
Great points. It is amazing how they have made a very solid Division 1 team led by Wyoming high-school players.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:20 pm

Great points. It is amazing how they have made a very solid Division 1 team led by overseas players.
FIFY. Best team they have ever had was filled with overseas talent.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:36 am

Great points. It is amazing how they have made a very solid Division 1 team led by overseas players.

I was there for the WNIT championship. This staff has always relied on overseas players. But even that WNIT championship team had Wyoming native contributors. The current make up of the roster contributors (as has been for the last few years) is being dominated more by locals.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:36 am

There has always been a mixture of regional HS kids and international players. Zavecz/Podziemska were obviously the best players for the 07/08 runs but McGuffey and Vandiver were big parts as Wyoming HS products along with other regional HS players (Sisk, for example).

Look at all of the other Wyoming High School products that have been among the best players over their tenure. In addition to Vandiver and McGuffey, you had Carlson, Woodward, Dent, Lewis, etc., plus more modest contributors like Kelley and Ligocki. Obviously the current team has Fertig, Bradshaw, and Olson. These were all leaders on generally Top 3/4 MWC teams (Dent's senior year being a notable exception).

Lots of other regional talent from CO/NE/KS/MT as well obviously.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McKinley Bradshaw will not be returning for her 4th year. She is apparently graduating in 3 years and will go on her mission. Tough loss for the program but congrats to her on graduation in 3 years!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:59 pm McKinley Bradshaw will not be returning for her 4th year. She is apparently graduating in 3 years and will go on her mission. Tough loss for the program but congrats to her on graduation in 3 years!
Wonder if not wanting to play for Ezell had anything to do with it
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:21 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:59 pm McKinley Bradshaw will not be returning for her 4th year. She is apparently graduating in 3 years and will go on her mission. Tough loss for the program but congrats to her on graduation in 3 years!
I have no information but considering the mission aspect, my guess is no and that’s been her plan.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:21 pm
I am sure that is not the case. If she just wanted to play for a different coach she could easily transfer to another school. Seems like more of a life decision.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyoming natives Weidemann and Olson announce they will be coming back for their Covid ‘super senior’ years.