Ben Bowen in the portal

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

A lot to unpack in this thread, but a couple of comments:

1. Fans often see the flaws in their own players easier than they see flaws in potential newcomers or opponents. Basically a “grass is greener” type of thing. The reality is that trying to replace HT is more likely to result in the next Eoin Nelson or Drew Lamont than in the next Graham Ike.

2. Beyond that, HT is a solid rotation option. Offensively he fits in very well with Maldo as we can go to Maldo and four shooters when Ike is out. Defensively he has really improved. He isn’t going to be making the All-Defense team anytime soon, but as long as he is defending true big men, he has really shown he can hold his own. Which brings me to…

3. Position - You are what you can defend and neither Ike nor HT can defend opposing 4’s in most lineups. There are a few teams with 2 bigger post oriented players, but in 2022 most teams play a 4 man that can stretch the floor or slash. When we see those rare, big opposing lineups, we can play them together but not most of the time, Neither HT nor Ike can handle any sort of quickness in opposing players. We are best suited with those two at the 5 and adding another 4 to the roster.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

I'm missing something. HT has been misused because he's been stuck at playing center his entire career?

83% of the dudes shots the last 2 years have come from behind the arc.

Is that what a center does?

Fill me in.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

DVDA wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:00 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:36 pm Not sure what some of you were watching but Thompson played well the last 7 or so games of the season. He played a lot better defense, banged down low, took charges and starting hitting some 3 balls.

If you didn’t notice that then you don’t know basketball or weren’t paying attention and just like to rant about BS to complain for no reason lol

I hope he comes back next year. He has the experience. I think they should put another 10 pounds of muscle on him. He can be a good back up role player coming off of the bench for sure.

I think they should bring in someone from the transfer portal to play center that has experience.

Powell won’t do much next year as a freshman. They need someone with experience that can start at center or can back up Ike. Ike would be better at the 4 spot though. He is only 6’9.

A transfer senior center that can play defense and grab boards would be perfect.

Move Oden to the 3 spot with Xavier at the 2 and Maldonado at the Point. Then also bring in a quick ball handling PG that can hit the 3 ball that can come in as the 6th or 7th guy to give a change of pace for Maldo.
Ike can't defend the perimeter as a center yet you think he should play the 4 because he's only 6'9" and you have the audacity to comment on anyone's knowledge of the game... That's funny right there. Please tell me how that floor spacing is going to work out with Oden, Maldonado, and a center on the court with Ike. This ignorance is why I avoid this board anymore.
Don’t start your bull crap fights with me. I know plenty about the game and yes Ike should play the 4. He damn sure isn’t going to play 5 in the NBA if that’s where he wants to go and he is still to small to guard at the 5 spot just as you have said. They need someone a LOT better on defense at true 5 and Ike isn’t a true 5.

If he is going to suck at defense at the 5 I would rather he suck at it and play the 4 and get his points and let someone with great defense play the 5 as rim protector. It’s not that hard of a concept to grasp. The floor spacing will be just fine like it was this year.

You can space the floor easily. It’s not like spacing the floor takes a genius to figure out. You don’t have to have the guy playing the 5 stay bogged down low when Ike gets it. Not sure how hard that is to comprehend for you? You act like everybody has to be robots and be stuck in one spot if someone else plays the 5 spot. Weird. Good thing you aren’t a coach if that is what you think because you would never have any out of the box ideas.

Didn’t want to get in an argument with you but you called me ignorant just because I stuck up for a Wyoming kid, that did play better down the stretch, whether you want to admit it or not. I would argue Thompson played as well as anyone else in that Indiana game.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Hunter played his best basketball for Wyoming the last 3 games of the season. So it took him a while...but if he can bring that same intensity and defensive tenacity to the court next year, it will do nothing but make the team better. As a 4 star recruit, has did not meet those expectations...but many don't.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:44 am Hunter played his best basketball for Wyoming the last 3 games of the season. So it took him a while...but if he can bring that same intensity and defensive tenacity to the court next year, it will do nothing but make the team better. As a 4 star recruit, has did not meet those expectations...but many don't.
I believe HT looked like he played well because he didn't absolutely suck. Some of that is his fault some of it is the situation. My dad knows basketball, and over the years, HT is the only player that my dad would text me mid game to say "thompson is a wuss". That being said, he's a somewhat viable option to come in and eat limited minutes and throw up some 3s. If he's hitting 3s, you leave him in even with his bad D. We didn't have any other options really. Depth was a problem.
W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:02 am
McPeachy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:44 am Hunter played his best basketball for Wyoming the last 3 games of the season. So it took him a while...but if he can bring that same intensity and defensive tenacity to the court next year, it will do nothing but make the team better. As a 4 star recruit, has did not meet those expectations...but many don't.
I believe HT looked like he played well because he didn't absolutely suck. Some of that is his fault some of it is the situation. My dad knows basketball, and over the years, HT is the only player that my dad would text me mid game to say "thompson is a wuss". That being said, he's a somewhat viable option to come in and eat limited minutes and throw up some 3s. If he's hitting 3s, you leave him in even with his bad D. We didn't have any other options really. Depth was a problem.
Could be true. But hell, as long as he is a WYO kid, he gets a pass in most circles. Including some here.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Don't know if anyone still cares, but Bowen ended up at Denver