Recruits Wyoming has shown interest in....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Hopefully Linder can help these guys be a lot better players than they were at USC.

Was hoping for at least one impact player in the transfer portal. Guess they provide some depth possibly at least.

We will still have problems on the defensive end on the inside next year unless they are picking someone up still that I haven’t heard about yet.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:58 pm Hopefully Linder can help these guys be a lot better players than they were at USC.

Was hoping for at least one impact player in the transfer portal. Guess they provide some depth possibly at least.

We will still have problems on the defensive end on the inside next year unless they are picking someone up still that I haven’t heard about yet.
Caden Powell is the Texas district six defensive player of the year. He's 6'10". He's competition and rest for Graham Ike next year. As soon as he makes the rotation, Thompson can play more 4.

The redshirt came off Nate Barnhart. I liked Nate Barnhart's game in the pre-season scrimmage this year. He's 7'1" and looks really comfortable on the floor already. Keep an eye on Nate.

If Agbonkpolo is the other guy, that's another 6'10" guy that's extremely athletic.

You add those guys to Oden and Ike, and suddenly we're long, skilled, and deep in the post.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Man.. the buzz leading up to next season is going to be unlike anything in a long time. Always makes me nervous when Wyo sports has to handle any type of expectations. But in Linder we trust.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

We've got a director of recruiting that actually directs recruiting. Bravo, Marc Rodgers!!

Max is official.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

So they last scholarship is likely reserved for a shooter, or a replacement for Jeffries. Will Kyman commit or will Wyoming be patient and selective with this last scholarship?

There's a lot of shooters on this recruiting list and I'm sure some that we don't know about.

Bobi Klintman, Josiah Strong, Jake Kyman.....

Who's going to take that last scholarship and the green light to bomb away on an absolutely loaded Wyoming squad?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:58 pm Hopefully Linder can help these guys be a lot better players than they were at USC.

I’m with you. I see a couple real nice pieces, but are either a true difference maker? We shall see. I think we’re a tourney team next year in all likelihood
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I wonder if we will run next year, by that I mean get out in transition and get fast break points. We seem to have the depth now. We are basically adding Foster too, who did not play much at all last year and is a real nice player
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:39 pm I wonder if we will run next year, by that I mean get out in transition and get fast break points. We seem to have the depth now. We are basically adding Foster too, who did not play much at all last year and is a real nice player
We can if we want to now, I just don't know if Linder wants too. Ethan has good handles under pressure, and a tendency to get out in transition. We have the bodies to run all the time if we wanted.

I would like to see us take more opportunities in transition. I just don't know if Linder has an offensive philosophy that supports much of that. Linder designs his offense to his personnel, so maybe he'll add more of that to the mix.

I would like to see more oops. We have Jeremiah Oden and Max Agbonkpolo on the wings. It's time to add an element of Dunk Town to the roster. Adams, Nance, and Cooke have to be waiting for someone to bring that back.

Hopefully next year we'll see an offense with more quick strike scoring opportunities. I love being great in the half court offense, but we need to be great in transition and at attacking the rim.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Old-Bull wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:16 am

Caden Powell is the Texas district six defensive player of the year. He's 6'10". He's competition and rest for Graham Ike next year. As soon as he makes the rotation, Thompson can play more 4.

The redshirt came off Nate Barnhart. I liked Nate Barnhart's game in the pre-season scrimmage this year. He's 7'1" and looks really comfortable on the floor already. Keep an eye on Nate.

If Agbonkpolo is the other guy, that's another 6'10" guy that's extremely athletic.

You add those guys to Oden and Ike, and suddenly we're long, skilled, and deep in the post.
I do think Agbonkpolo is a really good defender which will help but I believe he is about 6’9 and plays more defense against wings than deep inside… but that will Still help for sure.

I was hoping we could grab a shot blocker for deep in the paint to help back up Ike but Linder knows obviously more of what he wants on his team than I do. I was just selfishly wanting another Theo or Some rim protector.

I do think Caden will be good defensively also but I‘m not sure if he will get to play much next year or not. Linder may redshirt him with Thompson coming back and having Agbonkpolo now.

Einfield let Agbonkpolo and Ethan Anderson start every other game, switching those two out for each other starting last year. I guess he felt both were good enough to start, which brings me to another question. I wonder if the addition of these two will knock any of the others out of the starting lineup for next year and have them come off the bench…. Will be interesting to see.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Jake Kyman is the shooter. All scholarships are full.

That class will rank right up there with some of the best ever by the time it's all said and done.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Old-Bull wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:25 pm Jake Kyman is the shooter. All scholarships are full.

That class will rank right up there with some of the best ever by the time it's all said and done.
Jake played 12 min per as a freshmen, 10.5 as a sophomore and 8 as a junior. His 3pt% went down all three years from 40.3 to 29% last year. Shooter that was never given a shot? I appreciate the the PAC-12 pickup but his stat line is underwhelming.

The scholarships are full unless Maldo leaves I assume
W-Y, Until I Die!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:54 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:25 pm Jake Kyman is the shooter. All scholarships are full.

Jake played 12 min per as a freshmen, 10.5 as a sophomore and 8 as a junior. His 3pt% went down all three years from 40.3 to 29% last year. Shooter that was never given a shot? I appreciate the the PAC-12 pickup but his stat line is underwhelming.

The scholarships are full unless Maldo leaves I assume
My biggest recruiting concerns we're all addressed.

1. We needed a ball handler that can handle defenses that press. That guy needed to be able to defend little, quick guards. It would be nice if he could push the pace in transition. Ethan Anderson brings a lot to the table that was missing last year.

2. We needed a defensive post player, another center to spell Ike. Hunter Thompson is not a defensive post player. Caden Powell is. He's Texas district six defensive player of the year. We got a guy that clean up the glass, protect the rim, and provide Ike competition in the post. It will be nice to be able to take Ike out and not have a glaring defensive weakness in the post.

3. I thought we needed another long 4. Agbonkpolo provides the ability to suffocate opposing shooting guards, small forwards, and power forwards. He's a good cutter and a guy to look for on an oop attacking the rim. He's good in transition. He's another guy that can protect the rim and clean up the glass.

4. After Jeffries left we needed a shooter. I think Kyman might be pretty effective. He's going to learn which threes our staff likes you to take and look for those. I'm praying that Kenny Foster gets healthy because he's one of the best shooters on the team.

The fact that three of the four new comers are upper classmen, developed physically, and experienced playing in games against upper level competition is just icing on the cake.
Last edited by Old-Bull on Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

Poke in New England wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:41 am Man.. the buzz leading up to next season is going to be unlike anything in a long time. Always makes me nervous when Wyo sports has to handle any type of expectations. But in Linder we trust.
This is the first time EVER I’m more excited for Poke BB than football.

The MW tourney will be a blast!!!!!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Wyoming basically filled spots to make the bench a little deeper, however Linder wants to play it.

Wyoming will be one of the favorites to win the MWC next year.

They may be able to win a game in the NCAA tournament, possibly two. That’s where I think next years team maxes out to at the very best, which is still good if they can get there.

They aren’t elite eight or final four worthy by any means.

I think I saw someone post something on the other board about, if Wyoming could make the final four next year and my answer would be a resounding NO.

Could they? Less than 1% chance but I guess there is always a chance.

Will they? Over 99% chance no.

While Wyoming is bringing a lot back so are a bunch of other teams and those top teams are also bringing in top transfers and top 100 recruits which Wyoming isn’t.

If Wyoming could claw their way to a sweet sixteen appearance that would be cool though. Been 35 years since the last sweet 16 appearance.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

The #1 goal should be winning an outright MWC regular season crown. That would be the coolest thing to happen in my Cowboys basketball fandom
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:14 pm Wyoming basically filled spots to make the bench a little deeper, however Linder wants to play it.

They may be able to win a game in the NCAA tournament, possibly two. That’s where I think next years team maxes out to at the very best, which is still good if they can get there.

I think I saw someone post something on the other board about, if Wyoming could make the final four next year and my answer would be a resounding NO.

While Wyoming is bringing a lot back so are a bunch of other teams and those top teams are also bringing in top transfers and top 100 recruits which Wyoming isn’t.

If Wyoming could claw their way to a sweet sixteen appearance that would be cool though. Been 35 years since the last sweet 16 appearance.
Max Agbonkpolo is a top 100 recruit. Wyoming did bring in a top 100 recruit.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:29 pm The #1 goal should be winning an outright MWC regular season crown. That would be the coolest thing to happen in my Cowboys basketball fandom
Why stop there? I know the team wants both of the trophies in the worst way.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 43 times

Reading most of this truly makes me optimistic and happy. Good transition to fall and let's enjoy 22-23 season!!! Can't wait
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Old-Bull wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:04 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:14 pm Wyoming basically filled spots to make the bench a little deeper, however Linder wants to play it.

Nah… that’s not what I am talking about. I’m talking about teams that are bringing back most of their teams from last year and bringing in top recruits that are impact one and done players. Max Agbonkpolo isn’t that type of player by any means.

My point is that Wyoming won’t be even close to good enough to go to a final four just because they got 3 transfers from the PAC 12 in the portal. It definitely makes Wyoming good enough to win the MWC but I see some people getting all giddy like they think Wyoming is going to be good enough to go to the final four and make posts about it, which is ridiculous.

It does improve Wyoming but if Wyoming maxes out at their very best they could potentially be a sweet 16 team next year and that would be it. They aren’t going to the final four now because they got 3 players from the PAC 12, which 2 of them only have next year left of eligibility, not sure about the 3rd. They are decent players, they are not ( take you from top of the league to final four talent) though.

Old-Bull
Cowpoke

seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:00 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:04 pm

Nah… that’s not what I am talking about. I’m talking about teams that are bringing back most of their teams from last year and bringing in top recruits that are impact one and done players. Max Agbonkpolo isn’t that type of player by any means.

My point is that Wyoming won’t be even close to good enough to go to a final four just because they got 3 transfers from the PAC 12 in the portal. It definitely makes Wyoming good enough to win the MWC but I see some people getting all giddy like they think Wyoming is going to be good enough to go to the final four and make posts about it, which is ridiculous.

It does improve Wyoming but if Wyoming maxes out at their very best they could potentially be a sweet 16 team next year and that would be it. They aren’t going to the final four now because they got 3 players from the PAC 12, which 2 of them only have next year left of eligibility, not sure about the 3rd. They are decent players, they are not ( take you from top of the league to final four talent) though.
I was just making the point that we did get a top 100.
Last edited by Old-Bull on Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.