Recruits Wyoming has shown interest in....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

The incoming three are definitely better than the 3 that left but the top end talent of our team has not changed. We are deeper and that is better. We should have less of a drop off when we sub. It’s probably worth a couple wins but it won’t make much of a difference in a game against Arizona. If Caden can come in and give us 75% of what Ike did as a freshmen, we’ll really be cooking. If Barnhart can contribute, We’ll really be in great shape. I do like Thompson at 4 as many of you have said. If he can give us two 3s a game, that would be enough.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:31 am The incoming three are definitely better than the 3 that left but the top end talent of our team has not changed. We are deeper and that is better. We should have less of a drop off when we sub. It’s probably worth a couple wins but it won’t make much of a difference in a game against Arizona. If Caden can come in and give us 75% of what Ike did as a freshmen, we’ll really be cooking. If Barnhart can contribute, We’ll really be in great shape. I do like Thompson at 4 as many of you have said. If he can give us two 3s a game, that would be enough.
Yeah, I agree with all you say. The three new players will add good depth, but sorry to say I don't see any true blue chip talent, but that's OK! If we had better depth last year we probably win the league. We lacked true depth and Ike got in foul trouble and that screwed us in more than a few games. Anderson will take pressure off Maldo and Max will be a great defender and rebounder.

To me the X factors are Caden Powell and Nate Barnhardt. These guys are unknowns. If either can really play we will be nasty. I have a good feeling about Barnhardt simply because Linder didn't tell him to hit the road, like Dut and Bowen.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Rothstein thinks we are going to be good
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:52 am
laxwyo wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:31 am The incoming three are definitely better than the 3 that left but the top end talent of our team has not changed. We are deeper and that is better. We should have less of a drop off when we sub. It’s probably worth a couple wins but it won’t make much of a difference in a game against Arizona. If Caden can come in and give us 75% of what Ike did as a freshmen, we’ll really be cooking. If Barnhart can contribute, We’ll really be in great shape. I do like Thompson at 4 as many of you have said. If he can give us two 3s a game, that would be enough.
Yeah, I agree with all you say. The three new players will add good depth, but sorry to say I don't see any true blue chip talent, but that's OK! If we had better depth last year we probably win the league. We lacked true depth and Ike got in foul trouble and that screwed us in more than a few games. Anderson will take pressure off Maldo and Max will be a great defender and rebounder.

To me the X factors are Caden Powell and Nate Barnhardt. These guys are unknowns. If either can really play we will be nasty. I have a good feeling about Barnhardt simply because Linder didn't tell him to hit the road, like Dut and Bowen.
Max averaged 8 points,4 boards a game for a USC team that was nationally ranked for much of the year. All 3 of these guys can shoot the 3. To me, these are massive signings that play into the strengths of Maldo and Ike. Double team Ike or Maldo in the post - ok we will hit the wide open 3. I’d hate to defend Wyoming next year.
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:25 am Rothstein thinks we are going to be good
He still has those who left on the team.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:36 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:16 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:58 pm Hopefully Linder can help these guys be a lot better players than they were at USC.

Was hoping for at least one impact player in the transfer portal. Guess they provide some depth possibly at least.

We will still have problems on the defensive end on the inside next year unless they are picking someone up still that I haven’t heard about yet.
Caden Powell is the Texas district six defensive player of the year. He's 6'10". He's competition and rest for Graham Ike next year. As soon as he makes the rotation, Thompson can play more 4.

The redshirt came off Nate Barnhart. I liked Nate Barnhart's game in the pre-season scrimmage this year. He's 7'1" and looks really comfortable on the floor already. Keep an eye on Nate.

If Agbonkpolo is the other guy, that's another 6'10" guy that's extremely athletic.

You add those guys to Oden and Ike, and suddenly we're long, skilled, and deep in the post.
I do think Agbonkpolo is a really good defender which will help but I believe he is about 6’9 and plays more defense against wings than deep inside… but that will Still help for sure.

I was hoping we could grab a shot blocker for deep in the paint to help back up Ike but Linder knows obviously more of what he wants on his team than I do. I was just selfishly wanting another Theo or Some rim protector.

I do think Caden will be good defensively also but I‘m not sure if he will get to play much next year or not. Linder may redshirt him with Thompson coming back and having Agbonkpolo now.

Einfield let Agbonkpolo and Ethan Anderson start every other game, switching those two out for each other starting last year. I guess he felt both were good enough to start, which brings me to another question. I wonder if the addition of these two will knock any of the others out of the starting lineup for next year and have them come off the bench…. Will be interesting to see.
Caden Powell is the post player we need. The staff really likes him.

I understand not expecting much from a freshman. I didn't expect players to improve under Schroyer ever, freshmen or not. This staff is going to get our guys better. That, I know. Marcus Williams, Xavier Dusell, Jeremiah Oden, Noah Reynolds, and Graham Ike are evidence of that. They might not have been huge contributors early on their freshmen seasons(Marcus Williams was), but by the time the tournament rolled around, they were all key members of the rotation. That's 5 freshmen that have played their way into the rotation.

Caden Powell is legit 6'10", athletic, and doesn't look as skinny as J.O. when he showed up. We aren't going to need him to score. We just need him to defend the post and clean the glass when Ike gets in foul trouble. I guess we'll find out if he's strong enough to keep from get bullied in the post. The good news: he's going to get a whole lot of reps playing against the biggest bully in college basketball, Graham Ike.

Caden is going to make the rotation this year. We just need to get him to Laramie as soon as possible so he can start getting the reps.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

I thought this thread was dead. It's not.

Bobi Klintman isn't going to Colorado. According to multiple people on twitter, Klintman has heard from Wyoming since de-committing from CU(today). We don't have any available scholarships. So either Maldo is going pro or maybe Thompson is going to play as a walk-on this year and take the Hathaway scholarship. Who knows? I guess the other possibility is that the twitter people were wrong about Wyoming contacting Klintman.

4 star, top 150, shoots 47 percent from 3 at 6'9".

I don't know how this could happen, but I would love to see Klintman in Laramie.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

Old-Bull wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:22 pm I thought this thread was dead. It's not.

Bobi Klintman isn't going to Colorado. According to multiple people on twitter, Klintman has heard from Wyoming since de-committing from CU(today). We don't have any available scholarships. So either Maldo is going pro or maybe Thompson is going to play as a walk-on this year and take the Hathaway scholarship. Who knows? I guess the other possibility is that the twitter people were wrong about Wyoming contacting Klintman.

4 star, top 150, shoots 47 percent from 3 at 6'9".

I don't know how this could happen, but I would love to see Klintman in Laramie.
Same, his addition in UW puts us in the conversation of a MWC championship, without reservation / hesitation. Great info Old-Bull, thanks!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

If coach Linder pulled this off, he’d be officially a magician and basketball legend
W-Y, Until I Die!
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

The key to a good team in my mind is a good coach who motivates, teaches X’s and O’s, good defense, a deep bench, and good shooting from three with a good post player. All of these boxes are checked. A great team is one that has all of these plus experience and more birthdays. This team can check that box as well. Get Powell to be a rim protector and we have a championship, sweet sixteen type team! So nice to have multiple guys that can light it up from outside, not just the one sniper we had on each team a few years back
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Vt poke wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:36 pm The key to a good team in my mind is a good coach who motivates, teaches X’s and O’s, good defense, a deep bench, and good shooting from three with a good post player. All of these boxes are checked. A great team is one that has all of these plus experience and more birthdays. This team can check that box as well. Get Powell to be a rim protector and we have a championship, sweet sixteen type team! So nice to have multiple guys that can light it up from outside, not just the one sniper we had on each team a few years back
Yep. It's a damn Christmas miracle what Linder has accomplished in such a short period of time. The growth of the team has been explosive. He took us from last place in the league 3 years ago to the dance in season 2. If you think about it chronologically it's really hard to believe what he's accomplished in 2 seasons.

1. I can't remember a coach that assembled a better staff then the one we have right now. He brought with him Ken Deweese, a guy that was ranked in the top 50 of assistant coaches last season. He got Sunny to leave a head coaching gig to become an assistant again. He retained Vandiver, a guy with 10 years of experience recruiting to Laramie. His director of recruiting was a Wyoming conference tourney champion. When Grabau took a head coaching job, he replaced him with Marc Rodgers. Rodgers connections led to Ethan, Max, and Jake. This staff is incredible and their fit in Laramie is better than any staff I can remember.

2. I think an ability of our current staff that gets over-looked is determining who CAN'T play at this level and gracefully saying goodbye to those people. He retained five guys from the Edwards mess. He had to say goodbye to a few more guys this season. By doing so, he's built the kind of depth we haven't had since Brandenburg. He made us Noah's Arch(2 of everything) in 2 seasons.

3. His first recruiting class built the foundation of the team for years to come: Graham, Xavier, J.O., and Drake took us from the least amount of wins in program history to the NCAA tourney in 2 seasons(one of those seasons had games cancelled due to covid). His first recruiting class(under covid lockdown) ranked first in the MWC. This year's class will finish in the top 3 of the MWC at a minimum.

I agree with LAX, if the staff somehow manages to pull a Bobi Klintman out of their hat, then they truly are wizards.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

W-Y, Until I Die!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Bobi Kilntman is visiting Wake Forest.

Csu signed another guy Wyoming was in contact with: Josiah Strong. We were recruiting Tavi Jackson at one point as well.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Klintman committed to Wake.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life. For whomever it was that said we aren't getting top 100 guys: if Wyoming signs Jacob McFarland that's 2 top 100 guys in the last 4 commitments we've received. We already have one in Max.

It might not happen, but I think our idea of what Wyoming is capable of needs to change. This staff is redefining what's possible in Laramie.