Marcus Williams

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Old-Bull wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:40 am Marcus is back in the transfer portal.
Shocker, said no one
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:20 am
Shocker, said no one
What could have been...

Transfer portal athletes need to realize the grass is rarely greener!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Just shows that Linder, as good as he is, is not perfect. Erred on Williams.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

I think our staff came out smelling like roses. He didn't go to practice or class. The coaches could have announced that he was kicked off or asked to leave. Instead they took the heat for him leaving and let him find a landing spot.

Come to find out, he doesn't go to practice or class.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Juco for Marcus! Probably
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:32 am
Shocker, said no one
What could have been...

I'm not sure on the what could have been. Wyoming basketball improved leaps and bounds this year without Williams. Texas A&M basketball also improved leaps and bounds from the first half (with Williams) to the second half of the season (without Williams). I wish him the best but there is a saying of addition by subtraction. I don't know if that applies but twice seems to be a trend.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:55 pm
Shocker, said no one
What could have been...

I'm not sure on the what could have been. Wyoming basketball improved leaps and bounds this year without Williams. Texas A&M basketball also improved leaps and bounds from the first half (with Williams) to the second half of the season (without Williams). I wish him the best but there is a saying of addition by subtraction. I don't know if that applies but twice seems to be a trend.
I think what "could have been" is most likely the same team we had plus an elite level ball handler. Obviously Wyoming made a big leap this last year but it was in spite of having no ball handling...not because of it. The lack of a real point guard really bit us down the stretch. Take what Marcus brings to the table on the court and add that to what Linder did and I think we don't have that late season fade. Obviously...rumors are that he was a head case... so this is all with the caveat that the player bringing that elite ball handling to the court is not a head case.

In general...I don't think it will be common for freshman of the year or newcomer of the year winning players to transfer.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

307bball wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:20 pm
Shocker, said no one
What could have been...

I think what "could have been" is most likely the same team we had plus an elite level ball handler. Obviously Wyoming made a big leap this last year but it was in spite of having no ball handling...not because of it. The lack of a real point guard really bit us down the stretch. Take what Marcus brings to the table on the court and add that to what Linder did and I think we don't have that late season fade. Obviously...rumors are that he was a head case... so this is all with the caveat that the player bringing that elite ball handling to the court is not a head case.

In general...I don't think it will be common for freshman of the year or newcomer of the year winning players to transfer.
There is two sides of the court though. If you compare 20-21 to 21-22, almost the entire improvement for the Pokes was defense. We were about the same from an offensive efficiency standpoint but improved dramatically on Defense. That’s not a coincidence. Williams was a terrible defender who was benched in the midst of a FOY season due to bad defense (which is saying something).

Having Graham for a full season helps as well (last year when teams would get Williams and HT to defend in the pick and roll it was like taking candy from a baby), but he isn’t really a dominant defensive presence and having Williams acting as a turnstile on the perimeter likely would have just resulted in even more foul trouble for Graham.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:16 pm
307bball wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:20 pm
Shocker, said no one
What could have been...

There is two sides of the court though. If you compare 20-21 to 21-22, almost the entire improvement for the Pokes was defense. We were about the same from an offensive efficiency standpoint but improved dramatically on Defense. That’s not a coincidence. Williams was a terrible defender who was benched in the midst of a FOY season due to bad defense (which is saying something).

Having Graham for a full season helps as well (last year when teams would get Williams and HT to defend in the pick and roll it was like taking candy from a baby), but he isn’t really a dominant defensive presence and having Williams acting as a turnstile on the perimeter likely would have just resulted in even more foul trouble for Graham.
Lot of moving parts to be sure. Marcus turned out to be a head case so it's academic. It's possible that your prediction maps completely onto what would have happened if he stayed and he was not a head case.

I believe that if you extract out the talent that Marcus had and add it to the team this last year, Linder would have figured it out. I mean... He got a team with no ball handling to 25 wins!