Marcus Williams

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

How lame are "we" as a fanbase to celebrate a doucher decision by an 19 year old kid? That mentality is for losers and bWHYu fans.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:07 pm How lame are "we" as a fanbase to celebrate a doucher decision by an 19 year old kid? That mentality is for losers and bWHYu fans.
I'm celebrating because it shows an example to the other guys on our roster that the grass isn't always greener. From what I've heard, Linder isn't the most popular guy in the locker room and people are considering transferring off a team full of youth that's going dancing in year 2 of the project.

Will that stop guys from leaving: no, but at least it will give them something to think about.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:15 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:07 pm How lame are "we" as a fanbase to celebrate a doucher decision by an 19 year old kid? That mentality is for losers and bWHYu fans.
I'm celebrating because it shows an example to the other guys on our roster that the grass isn't always greener. From what I've heard, Linder isn't the most popular guy in the locker room and people are considering transferring off a team full of youth that's going dancing in year 2 of the project.

Will that stop guys from leaving: no, but at least it will give them something to think about.
This is a tad concerning But kids need to realize that sometimes life isn't always "fun" and often times success comes after a lot of hard work and sacrifice, which often isn't fun. Success is worth hard work and sacrifice most of the time.

Do you know people close to the program?
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:08 pm

This is a tad concerning But kids need to realize that sometimes life isn't always "fun" and often times success comes after a lot of hard work and sacrifice, which often isn't fun. Success is worth hard work and sacrifice most of the time.

Yes, I know a person close to the program. I guess Linder is a bit of a dick to the players. That's better than being their best friend and not winning anything, like Allen Edwards. I wouldn't necessarily believe it, but I also heard the same thing from a CSU guy I know that's friends with one of our Colorado players. I did hear that this only applies to certain guys, not all of them, so maybe he's trying to weed the roster by being really hard on the guys that aren't good enough to play much.

Both of these could be rumors, but if you watch Linder on the sideline talking to players coming off the court, it's easy to believe.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Linder strikes me as a nice, genuine guy so I'm a little surprised, but I would guess most coaches are abrasive. Seems like a decent human though. I sure like the results Linder gets. I wouldn't change anything. I think plenty of the assistants are "nice" guys
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:17 pm

Yes, I know a person close to the program. I guess Linder is a bit of a dick to the players. That's better than being their best friend and not winning anything, like Allen Edwards. I wouldn't necessarily believe it, but I also heard the same thing from a CSU guy I know that's friends with one of our Colorado players. I did hear that this only applies to certain guys, not all of them, so maybe he's trying to weed the roster by being really hard on the guys that aren't good enough to play much.

Both of these could be rumors, but if you watch Linder on the sideline talking to players coming off the court, it's easy to believe.
Rumors. A person close to the program. More rumors. What to believe...who knows.

That said, I watch Linder on the sideline, and he doesn't berate his players any worse (if any at all) than a Brandenburg, Dees, Shyatt, or Ratboy - so not where that is coming from. Maybe kids are just a bunch of f-word kitty these days - and can't have anyone reprimand them because mommy & daddy never reprimanded them? If you are a D1 men's athlete, it is time to get your balls out of mommy's purse, and own your poop.

Oh, and NEVER...ever...trust a "CSewe" guy by the way. Those miserable son of a bitches want nothing more than to cast doubt on Wyoming, at all times, at any cost. Just like we would do, I guess? "Hey, I heard Nedved is a satan worshiper and is a dick to all his players not named Roddy. To the point they are all leaving CSU after the tourney."
Dear Karma,

Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:39 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:17 pm

Rumors. A person close to the program. More rumors. What to believe...who knows.

That said, I watch Linder on the sideline, and he doesn't berate his players any worse (if any at all) than a Brandenburg, Dees, Shyatt, or Ratboy - so not where that is coming from. Maybe kids are just a bunch of f##k[#] kitty these days - and can't have anyone reprimand them because mommy & daddy never reprimanded them? If you are a D1 men's athlete, it is time to get your balls out of mommy's purse, and own your Sh#t.

Oh, and NEVER...ever...trust a "CSewe" guy by the way. Those miserable son of a bitches want nothing more than to cast doubt on Wyoming, at all times, at any cost. Just like we would do, I guess? "Hey, I heard Nedved is a satan worshiper and is a dick to all his players not named Roddy. To the point they are all leaving CSU after the tourney."
Lots of irony from the quoted post to this one...
;)
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Yeah, I agree that most kids now a days are overly sensitive kitty.

Still, 2 separate sources that don't know each other telling me exactly the same thing about the same exact players made me raise an eyebrow. Two sources both said the players don't like the head coach. Only one of them told me there may be transfers.

I guess we'll see.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:10 pm Yeah, I agree that most kids now a days are overly sensitive kitty.

Still, 2 separate sources that don't know each other telling me exactly the same thing about the same exact players made me raise an eyebrow. Two sources both said the players don't like the head coach. Only one of them told me there may be transfers.

I guess we'll see.
The question is if either of those players transferred, would they be missed? I'm sure it sucks to redshirt and that's when you lose a lot of players. If we're talking about one of our top 7, i'd be a little worried.
W-Y, Until I Die!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

I guaranty Linder is a good guy away from the court and also to his players away from the court and after they finish playing for him.

If he is tough on them then good for him. If you can be tough on your players and get this good of results that is great. The players when they get older will respect him more and realize he was trying to help them be better people and men by tough love or being hard on them.

Nothing wrong with that if it’s working. If kids want to transfer then go ahead, but they are just being too sensitive and acting like 2 year old girls if they do.

Back in the day when I played, most coaches were tough and you just had to buck up and take it and be tough and play your hardest. When you get older you realize your coach wasn’t trying to be a dick on purpose. They are trying to make you better and also it’s their job and how they make a living. They can’t afford to have you being lazy as a player or not playing up to your ability and them losing their job.

I don’t have any problems with being tough on them.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

My 2 cents....I too have heard that Linder is very demanding. Especially in contrast to Allen Edwards who was very buddy buddy with the players. I've been to a lot of home games and watched on TV and I definitely don't see the overt haranguing ... but the camera catches some pretty directed and intense critiques by Linder that I'm sure are tough to take. That said, I don't know of very many "nice guy" coaches that have had great success...I know of tons of demanding and "dick" coaches that have had amazing success.

I think this topic is one that is increasingly relevant. Players can move now with very little cost. This means that there is not much incentive to stick it out. The "break them down and build them up" mentality takes some time to work and if the guy you are breaking down to build up bolts for another program .... that's not great. Of course, the program could be better off in that case if the player is not mentally tough but it's also a possibility that the coach could have handled a situation better. Complicating this, in college sports particularly, is how much the typical player will put up with at different programs. I bet that your Kansas basketball players, your Alabama football players, and other programs at the top of the NCAA mountain, will put up with more from coaches than the average player at Wyoming. This has nothing to do with the mental toughness of either player...just has to do with the perception that the people at those types of programs have demonstrated that they are the best and have the benefit of the doubt....for example...if Coach K chews you out it may feel like an honor almost where the same interaction with some no-name coach at some directional community college will induce a player to transfer.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:10 pm Yeah, I agree that most kids now a days are overly sensitive kitty.

I guess we'll see.
Yep...and it is out of our control. The football transfer thing killed me this winter, and then I realized, I root for the Steamboat, the Brown & Gold, the state of Wyoming. Period.
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:23 pm I guaranty Linder is a good guy away from the court and also to his players away from the court and after they finish playing for him.

If he is tough on them then good for him. If you can be tough on your players and get this good of results that is great. The players when they get older will respect him more and realize he was trying to help them be better people and men by tough love or being hard on them.

Nothing wrong with that if it’s working. If kids want to transfer then go ahead, but they are just being too sensitive and acting like 2 year old girls if they do.

Back in the day when I played, most coaches were tough and you just had to buck up and take it and be tough and play your hardest. When you get older you realize your coach wasn’t trying to be a dick on purpose. They are trying to make you better and also it’s their job and how they make a living. They can’t afford to have you being lazy as a player or not playing up to your ability and them losing their job.

I don’t have any problems with being tough on them.
Great post! Agreed.
Dear Karma,

Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

307bball wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:33 am My 2 cents....I too have heard that Linder is very demanding. Especially in contrast to Allen Edwards who was very buddy buddy with the players. I've been to a lot of home games and watched on TV and I definitely don't see the overt haranguing ... but the camera catches some pretty directed and intense critiques by Linder that I'm sure are tough to take. That said, I don't know of very many "nice guy" coaches that have had great success...I know of tons of demanding and "dick" coaches that have had amazing success.

I think this topic is one that is increasingly relevant. Players can move now with very little cost. This means that there is not much incentive to stick it out. The "break them down and build them up" mentality takes some time to work and if the guy you are breaking down to build up bolts for another program .... that's not great. Of course, the program could be better off in that case if the player is not mentally tough but it's also a possibility that the coach could have handled a situation better. Complicating this, in college sports particularly, is how much the typical player will put up with at different programs. I bet that your Kansas basketball players, your Alabama football players, and other programs at the top of the NCAA mountain, will put up with more from coaches than the average player at Wyoming. This has nothing to do with the mental toughness of either player...just has to do with the perception that the people at those types of programs have demonstrated that they are the best and have the benefit of the doubt....for example...if Coach K chews you out it may feel like an honor almost where the same interaction with some no-name coach at some directional community college will induce a player to transfer.
A good coach will always separate the wheat from the chaff. The transfer portal cuts both ways. Now a coach doesn't necessarily have to tolerate a hack- he can go to the portal and see what's available. Sure, NIL commoditizes players somewhat, but seriously, what company wants to end up linked to end up linked to the next Lawrence Phillips or Carlson Dotson?

At the end of the day, the snowflakes will collect somewhere that tolerates them, most likely with little success on the court or the gridiron.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:34 am
307bball wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:33 am My 2 cents....I too have heard that Linder is very demanding. Especially in contrast to Allen Edwards who was very buddy buddy with the players. I've been to a lot of home games and watched on TV and I definitely don't see the overt haranguing ... but the camera catches some pretty directed and intense critiques by Linder that I'm sure are tough to take. That said, I don't know of very many "nice guy" coaches that have had great success...I know of tons of demanding and "dick" coaches that have had amazing success.

A good coach will always separate the wheat from the chaff. The transfer portal cuts both ways. Now a coach doesn't necessarily have to tolerate a hack- he can go to the portal and see what's available. Sure, NIL commoditizes players somewhat, but seriously, what company wants to end up linked to end up linked to the next Lawrence Phillips or Carlson Dotson?

At the end of the day, the snowflakes will collect somewhere that tolerates them, most likely with little success on the court or the gridiron.
I think your right...this player movement will result in collections of certain types of players at certain types of programs. What type of program is Wyoming?...I hear a lot of people saying "oh .. it's a new world, you just have to make adjustments". That is good advice but part of those adjustments may be fan expectations. If you take all of the best players at Wyoming from the past 25 years from basketball and football....How many would have stayed at UW if they had the chance to go somewhere else..for whatever reason?...I guarantee that number is not zero, and the guy that replaces that player will not be as good.

For the record...I'm in favor of players being able to move but I can't see it positively impacting Wyoming...or even being a wash, it's a complete downgrade across the board.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

307bball wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:51 am
For the record...I'm in favor of players being able to move but I can't see it positively impacting Wyoming...or even being a wash, it's a complete downgrade across the board.
We will find out next year in football. I agree with you. I am for the free transfer of players but don't see it as a benefit to Wyoming where we naturally will need to develop players.
iubhounds
Buckaroo

I like the old way of transferring, have to sit out a year. This transfer portal in my opinion has ruined college basketball. Where's the loyalty when players transfer within conference, yes IU has one. Every year a team averages 6-7 new players counting freshman out of 13 on scholarship. Hard to win consistently that way.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Edwards buddy buddy with players? Dude was blew a gasket at least once a game, screaming in somebodys face and stomping his feet. I dont know about what happens behind closed doors, but Linder is 100 times more composed on the sidelines than AE. That being said, I pretty much assume any coach in any sport at a high level, like D1 college ball, has an asshole streak in them. As others said its all about making it constructive and actually coaching a dude in between Mother-fing him.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:16 pm

Edwards buddy buddy with players? Dude was blew a gasket at least once a game, screaming in somebodys face and stomping his feet. I dont know about what happens behind closed doors, but Linder is 100 times more composed on the sidelines than AE. That being said, I pretty much assume any coach in any sport at a high level, like D1 college ball, has an asshole streak in them. As others said its all about making it constructive and actually coaching a dude in between Mother-fing him.
I'm just saying what my first hand accounts tell me. If I had not heard what i've heard I probably wouldn't have the opinion i have. Without inside info I don't have a ton to go on.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Marcus is back in the transfer portal.