First NET rankings out:

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

How many of the top 20 are ranked in the traditional polls? It looks like a who’s who of college basketball.

Why aren’t we ranked then?
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

It does appear that us and San Fransisco are one of the few teams in the NET top 25 that aren’t getting much AP love. Nothing like good ole bias. We both got a single coaches vote. Byu ranked higher than their NET. Arizona not getting as much love either. AP writers are trash just like most journalists.
W-Y, Until I Die!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:28 pm It does appear that us and San Fransisco are one of the few teams in the NET top 25 that aren’t getting much AP love. Nothing like good ole bias. We both got a single coaches vote. Byu ranked higher than their NET. Arizona not getting as much love either. AP writers are trash just like most journalists.
It’s still early in the year for NET rankings. They will adjust a lot. We are so high right now not only because we are undefeated but because we have 3 true road wins and one of them a quad 1 win. Also because we have a high offensive and defensive efficiency rating.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

I've been paying attention to this Net thing. Today Wyoming dropped to 11 because our quad 2 Fullerton win dropped to quad 3.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Overrated analytics
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

stymeman wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:02 pm Overrated analytics
Small sample size
W-Y, Until I Die!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

After last nights game Wyoming is 18th now and Arizona moves up to number 1 .

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Still holding at 21. I thought we might drop due to inactivity. Those road wins and blow-outs to start the season have really helped with the Net.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

The MW has moved into 6th for conference rankings based on Net. Just barely ahead of Pac12 and we'll ahead of AAC and WCC:

https://bracketologists.com/conferences/
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Big NET game for us this evening or at 5:30 mountain time.

San Francisco 10-0 #27 in NET playing in Phoenix against Grand Canyon 9-2 #90 in NET.

If Grand Canyon can win, it could jump them back up into the top 75 of NET possibly and give us back the QUAD 1 win, which would move us up.

ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:49 pm Big NET game for us this evening or at 5:30 mountain time.

San Francisco 10-0 #27 in NET playing in Phoenix against Grand Canyon 9-2 #90 in NET.

If Grand Canyon can win, it could jump them back up into the top 75 of NET possibly and give us back the QUAD 1 win, which would move us up.
Well, GCU pulled it off 49-48.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

ZapPoke wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:47 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:49 pm Big NET game for us this evening or at 5:30 mountain time.

Well, GCU pulled it off 49-48.
Yeah, great win by them. Moved them up to 71st. Gave us our quad 1 win back and moved us back up to 18th.

The sheep are still behind us at 27. Always good news.

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Wyoming back up to number 29 now in NET.

Grand Canyon beat Abilene Christian last night who is a good team. With the win it moved Grand Canyon from 84th up 18 spots to number 66, which gives Wyoming its quadrant 1 win back.

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

After last nights loss, Wyoming only dropped one spot to 32.

We are still ahead of Boise St. and everyone else in the MWC except for CSU , who is 26. When we beat them Monday we should overtake them.

We moved up 6 spots in KenPom to 55.

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

One thing I’ve noticed about these ratings, whether it be the NET or Kenpom is that “how much” you win by matters quite a bit.

For an example:

Utah St. beat San Diego St. last night by 18 points.
That dropped San Diego St in NET from 43 to 50

Utah St. moved up from 71 to 62. So moved up 9 spots for a double digit win. Not sure if the magic number is 10 points but seems double digit wins move you a lot higher and double digit losses drop you a lot more.

In Kenpom Utah St. moved up from 71 to 53 ahead of Wyoming who is at 57. Utah St is 11-9 and Wyoming is 15-3 and we beat them in Logan. San Diego St. fell from 31 to 39 in Kenpom.

Guess we need to win by double digits against CSU and Boise at home and we should rocket up the ratings based on how these things work.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:38 am One thing I’ve noticed about these ratings, whether it be the NET or Kenpom is that “how much” you win by matters quite a bit.

For an example:

Utah St. moved up from 71 to 62. So moved up 9 spots for a double digit win. Not sure if the magic number is 10 points but seems double digit wins move you a lot higher and double digit losses drop you a lot more.

In Kenpom Utah St. moved up from 71 to 53 ahead of Wyoming who is at 57. Utah St is 11-9 and Wyoming is 15-3 and we beat them in Logan. San Diego St. fell from 31 to 39 in Kenpom.

Guess we need to win by double digits against CSU and Boise at home and we should rocket up the ratings based on how these things work.
i wonder why kenpom loves usu so much
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:29 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:38 am One thing I’ve noticed about these ratings, whether it be the NET or Kenpom is that “how much” you win by matters quite a bit.

For an example:

Not sure. Only thing I can really see is that Utah St. had a decent out of conference schedule and won a couple of good games. Then beating the Aztecs by double digits last night when the Aztecs were ranked #30 in KenPom bolted them up.
Wyoming can vault up if they beat CSU by double digits on Monday and of course take care of AFA tomorrow night.

WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:29 am

For an example:

Yeah, I wonder too.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

It’s not that Kenpom loves USU really. If you win games by double digits, you fly up it seems no matter who you are. Or if you are a team with a bad ranking and you play tough teams close you move up a lot also.

New Mexico was rated in the 200’s and has lost 7 in a row but because they were playing all decent teams and played them close, they moved up like 50 spots into the 160’s or 170’s.

When CSU beat San Jose St. by 30 last week, even though San Jose St sucks, because they beat them by 30, CSU moved up like 20 spots in Kenpom.

So if you are already rated decently high, like Wyoming is at 57, you just have to blow teams out by 20 to 30 points if they are a bad team. You will move up a lot. If you play a good team rated higher than you, just win by double digits and you seem to fly up the ratings. How much you win by matters a lot to most of these rating systems it seems that the NCAA uses to pick teams.

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Washington beats Colorado tonight and Stanford beats USC for the 2nd time this year.

Moves Wyoming up to 54 in Kenpom. Highest we have been. Utah St. dropped below us to 55.

CSU 35
San Diego St. 39
Boise St. 40
Fresno St. 59
Nevada 107

We will see where everyone is in NET tomorrow.

Torvik:

Boise St. 33
Fresno St. 37
San Diego St. 43
CSU 48
Utah St 52
Wyoming 63
Nevada 112

KPI rankings (NCAA uses these for NCAA Tournament along with NET and Kenpom)

CSU 20
Boise St. 23
San Diego St. 33
Wyoming 38
Utah St. 77
Fresno St. 86
Nevada 91