Denver University, Thursday, December 2nd, 7:00 p.m....Help turn the AA into the "Dome of Doom" again.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

I know this is a Thursday night game, but what's so important on Friday that you can't drive to Laramie and watch the Pokes? Hopefully the students realize this is the best show in town. With our ability to win road games all we need to do is protect our home court to be in the title race and potentially the Big Dance.

Let's go Cowboy fans. See you on Thursday.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Watching this team grow last spring was way fun. This year's team seems more mature, but it looks like we've hit a plateau, where instead of all 5 executing our offense, it's easier to watch maldo create and then react. My vague recollection of northern colorado under Linder was that they screened more on the perimeter than our guys do now, such that NCU's offense had more movement . My view, FWIW, and my eyesite is awful.

Our guys rock when the offense is on, and we play Shyatt-good defense. Hope the students show up - our hoops teams deserve to play in our own packed house.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

UW hoops is looking great - talented, well coached, and obviously passion to play the game (other like the other major sport at UW). Hopefully the fans will return to the 2002-ish form. That said, I am still pissed about the seating reorg that UW did (Burman) years ago. It leaves very little opportunity for the lower bowl of the arena to be filled. Major f-word up if you ask me. I don't know the fix, but it needs one.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

nwpoke wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:05 am Watching this team grow last spring was way fun. This year's team seems more mature, but it looks like we've hit a plateau, where instead of all 5 executing our offense, it's easier to watch maldo create and then react. My vague recollection of northern colorado under Linder was that they screened more on the perimeter than our guys do now, such that NCU's offense had more movement . My view, FWIW, and my eyesite is awful.

Our guys rock when the offense is on, and we play Shyatt-good defense. Hope the students show up - our hoops teams deserve to play in our own packed house.
I’m not seeing a plateau. Do you know how many teams would have a loss with our schedule? The vast majority. We are legit
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:18 am UW hoops is looking great - talented, well coached, and obviously passion to play the game (other like the other major sport at UW). Hopefully the fans will return to the 2002-ish form. That said, I am still pissed about the seating reorg that UW did (Burman) years ago. It leaves very little opportunity for the lower bowl of the arena to be filled. Major [#]f##k up if you ask me. I don't know the fix, but it needs one.
The remodel was an unmitigated disaster
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:49 am
McPeachy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:18 am UW hoops is looking great - talented, well coached, and obviously passion to play the game (other like the other major sport at UW). Hopefully the fans will return to the 2002-ish form. That said, I am still pissed about the seating reorg that UW did (Burman) years ago. It leaves very little opportunity for the lower bowl of the arena to be filled. Major [#]f##k up if you ask me. I don't know the fix, but it needs one.
It still is an unmitigated disaster. They need to finish it. The AA looks like it is unfinished and will until they go forward with rest of the design that we were all shown. Instead of sinking $70 million into the football stadium and swimming facility (build swimming, fine, but tank the West stands reno and only redo bathrooms in the lower section), build out the AA as envisioned.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:44 am
nwpoke wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:05 am Watching this team grow last spring was way fun. This year's team seems more mature, but it looks like we've hit a plateau, where instead of all 5 executing our offense, it's easier to watch maldo create and then react. My vague recollection of northern colorado under Linder was that they screened more on the perimeter than our guys do now, such that NCU's offense had more movement . My view, FWIW, and my eyesite is awful.

I’m not seeing a plateau. Do you know how many teams would have a loss with our schedule? The vast majority. We are legit
Absolutely I agree we're legit; rather I think we have room to improve offensively. This team is still very young, despite Maldo creeping up on retirement. Perhaps we're still adapting to Maldo running the show rather than the transfer guy. It's a fun ride for sure this year.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

LawPoke wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:36 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:49 am
It still is an unmitigated disaster. They need to finish it. The AA looks like it is unfinished and will until they go forward with rest of the design that we were all shown. Instead of sinking $70 million into the football stadium and swimming facility (build swimming, fine, but tank the West stands reno and only redo bathrooms in the lower section), build out the AA as envisioned.
Agree on both accounts, the "AA" (why don't we sell the naming rights I have NO f-word idea) is an eyesore. The plans looked great IMO, when it all started, but the remodel was poorly done. The concourse area / remodel was a joke - thanks for the white paint. Half-assed attempt by UW, and folks with deep $$$$ bought seats, and never use them. Besides losing trends, the seat reorg killed the fanbase. Oh, but it brought in more $$$ to UW, so who cares right? f-word UW administrators...we need new eyes, and new blood throughout that whole department. Current admin (the entire group) has blinders on, and needs to go.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Since my wife is currently finishing pharmacy school back in Laramie, I've went to most of the games this year. I missed Hastings because I was up north for Thanksgiving.

Since my wife is a student we get in for almost free. We have a three year old daughter. What we've done is get in on her student pass and my husband of student ticket. The first two games we just walked down to the 12 row or so and sat where we wanted. I don't want to rat myself out(although I just did), but I have yet to sit in the student section in the last couple of years. I always sit in prime seats. I figure we're doing our part to fill the lower bowl. :D

I agree the re-seat screwed up the chemistry in the arena by moving people away from their long time neighbors, and it gave the students much crappier seats. I understand why we did it though: we needed the money.

I think people will get used to the new reality at some point. The stadium is beautiful and the seats are comfortable.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

So far, we've yet to face a team that has an answer for Ike in the post and Maldo at the point. Last night in the second half they figured out how to stop Ike and Maldonado went off. Washington(Dave Hall) got Ike in foul trouble and Maldo took over. Neither or those guys require much offensive motion to set up though. You either spread the floor and make the entry pass to Ike or you clear off one side of the court and let Maldo back people down. It looks kind of simple because it is simple. That doesn't mean it isn't effective. Both of those guys are averaging about 20 points a game.

I don't know if it's a plateau. I think that strategy gives us our best chance of winning. With one of those 2 guys in the post you have Dusell and Jeffries moving around the three point line waiting for a high percentage 3 and Oden ready to cut back side if they double off him.

We'll see if Arizona has an answer for both of those guys. If anyone we play does, it will be them with their length and athleticism. I think we'll see some wrinkles in our offense for that game.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Old-Bull wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:05 pm So far, we've yet to face a team that has an answer for Ike in the post and Maldo at the point. Last night in the second half they figured out how to stop Ike and Maldonado went off. Washington(Dave Hall) got Ike in foul trouble and Maldo took over. Neither or those guys require much offensive motion to set up though. You either spread the floor and make the entry pass to Ike or you clear off one side of the court and let Maldo back people down. It looks kind of simple because it is simple. That doesn't mean it isn't effective. Both of those guys are averaging about 20 points a game.

I don't know if it's a plateau. I think that strategy gives us our best chance of winning. With one of those 2 guys in the post you have Dusell and Jeffries moving around the three point line waiting for a high percentage 3 and Oden ready to cut back side if they double off him.

We'll see if Arizona has an answer for both of those guys. If anyone we play does, it will be them with their length and athleticism. I think we'll see some wrinkles in our offense for that game.
Something we've seen flashes of that hasn't been put into the offense yet: DuSell is FAST when he breaks through the lane. I wouldn't be surprised to see Linder sending him on more backdoor cuts in a pressure zone look like we saw from Fullerton.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Old-Bull wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:05 pm

So far, we've yet to face a team that has an answer for Ike in the post and Maldo at the point. Last night in the second half they figured out how to stop Ike and Maldonado went off. Washington(Dave Hall) got Ike in foul trouble and Maldo took over. Neither or those guys require much offensive motion to set up though. You either spread the floor and make the entry pass to Ike or you clear off one side of the court and let Maldo back people down. It looks kind of simple because it is simple. That doesn't mean it isn't effective. Both of those guys are averaging about 20 points a game.

Arizona has the 6th fastest team or paced team right now. If Linder is smart (in my opinion) and he knows what he is doing more than I do, I would slow it down against them like we did against San Diego St In the MWC tournament last year. I know we like to play pretty fast but we will never out play Arizona on their home floor trying to play their pace or fast. I think slowing it down gives us a shot. Will be interesting.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Cowduck
Cowpoke

DU has given us a lot of tough games in the past when on paper they should not have. This edition of the Pioneers is in year one of a rebuild and they have already taken some tough Ls, but I'd hate it if we laid an egg. But - man, I really like this team. I just get the feeling they are well prepared, smart, and confident.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand

I think I learned more basketball in this thread than I've ever known - thanks!

One thing I do know, this team is fun to watch!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Cowduck wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:13 pm DU has given us a lot of tough games in the past when on paper they should not have. This edition of the Pioneers is in year one of a rebuild and they have already taken some tough Ls, but I'd hate it if we laid an egg. But - man, I really like this team. I just get the feeling they are well prepared, smart, and confident.
They usually give us better games than they should. They play above their level against us and a lot of times we play down to their level as well.

I think that changes this year. I wouldn't be surprised if we see another 40 point hammering at home.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

nwpoke wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:46 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:44 am

Absolutely I agree we're legit; rather I think we have room to improve offensively. This team is still very young, despite Maldo creeping up on retirement. Perhaps we're still adapting to Maldo running the show rather than the transfer guy. It's a fun ride for sure this year.
I know what you mean. However, o think unc moved the ball more and set more screens because they had to out of necessity. They didn’t have anyone like maldo or Ike that can get buckets in the post like that. I mean Ike will get a bucket literally 75% of the time one on one and maldo, what, 60%? We have two elite post scorers and two truly elite shooters in x and Jeffries
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

What I've seen is offensive adjustments. It looks like we're taking what they give us and if its maldo taking it to the rim, then so be it. If its draining 3s, we take that. If its dumping it to Ike until they double team, then we do it.
W-Y, Until I Die!
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:39 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:05 pm

Arizona has the 6th fastest team or paced team right now. If Linder is smart (in my opinion) and he knows what he is doing more than I do, I would slow it down against them like we did against San Diego St In the MWC tournament last year. I know we like to play pretty fast but we will never out play Arizona on their home floor trying to play their pace or fast. I think slowing it down gives us a shot. Will be interesting.
I think Ken DeWeese does an outstanding job of scouting and game planning. It always seems like they have a good strategy and are prepared to execute. It helps that they have players who are flexible in their roles.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I'm there with a friend but hopefully the City of Laramie shows up for a change, I'm hoping for 5k or more
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

We don't need the crowds we had in the 80's or the attendance record game vs. Utah. That's impossible with the reduction in seating. Linder took the job because of the crowds he saw when Boise visited during the Dunk Town era. I traveled a long ways to attend five games that season and those crowds were pretty damn rowdy.

Hopefully tonight is a first step in getting back to that level and then building on it. If we can average 6 or 7 thousand, Laramie is still one of the hardest places in the country to come and get a win. I think we can do better than that with the team being as young as they are and the quality they put on the floor consistently.

For now though, I agree with Stymeman. 5000 would be a great start.