Arkansas Pine Bluff @ Wyoming

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

This was a fun one i watched, balanced scoring and liked everything i saw against a long lanky Golden Lion team, I'll take a 40 pt blowout anyday
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:41 pm Holy cow this team look good. We play incredible defense

I haven’t been able to go to a game yet, but I should be at most from here on out. Keep winning and the people will show up. Wyoming basketball has been bad for a long time. It’s going to take some sustained winning, or flashy wins, to bring the fans back.

Oden looks very good and much much improved. Maldo is playing super well. DuSell is a two way beast. Ike is a force. Jeffries is a deadly , deadly shooter
So impressed so far with everyone on this team. It’s damn great when you have two snipers on your team with 6 guys who can go off at any point. 5 guys with double digits tonight and a win by 40! I think we handle business in Washington and contend for MWC title. Things are looking up
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Obviously, Ike, maldo and DuSell are going to be the backbone of this team
bur Oden step forward could be the real reason this team contends.

This team looks real good. It’s definitely better to win by 40 than not to. I’d love to get to the point where we beat the teams we’re suppose to beat.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Vt poke wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:19 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:41 pm Holy cow this team look good. We play incredible defense

I haven’t been able to go to a game yet, but I should be at most from here on out. Keep winning and the people will show up. Wyoming basketball has been bad for a long time. It’s going to take some sustained winning, or flashy wins, to bring the fans back.

Oden looks very good and much much improved. Maldo is playing super well. DuSell is a two way beast. Ike is a force. Jeffries is a deadly , deadly shooter
So impressed so far with everyone on this team. It’s damn great when you have two snipers on your team with 6 guys who can go off at any point. 5 guys with double digits tonight and a win by 40! I think we handle business in Washington and contend for MWC title. Things are looking up
Can’t believe how much more fit everyone looks. The strength staff is doing wonders
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

If you look at the biggest things we needed to improve from last season, we're miles ahead of last year. Both of those teams would have scored at least 70 points on us last year. Rebounding was our biggest weakness. We've out rebounded both of our opponents this year, tonight it wasn't even close. The thing I like, we don't have one guy dominating the glass. It's a team effort and several guys are doing well. Speaking of which, Jeffries might be hard to get out of the starting line-up when Foster gets healthy. Jeffries is playing very good defense, knocking down open shots, making good decisions, and dominating the glass for a 6'5" guard not named Fennis.

I'm really impressed with Oden this season. He's very calm on the floor. He's leading the team in blocks, playing great defense, not getting pushed around, he makes cuts to the rim for easy hoops, and he's making 3's this season.

I love the way Linder gets his guys to realize what they're good at and just focus on that. Guys aren't trying to do things they aren't good at which makes everyone look a lot more comfortable and difficult to defend. There aren't any Brad Jones going to the rim and missing countless lay-ups or poor shooters chucking up contested threes. It's a damn pleasure to watch. It's basketball with a purpose, unlike the street ball crap we've had to witness under Schroyer, Edwards.....

I know it's early in the season, but we seem to be using a lot of the bench right now. It's hard to believe we look this deep without Kenny Foster in the line-up. It will be interesting to see that 11 guy rotation get cut back to 8-9 guys when the games start getting more difficult, because so far everyone has a solid case for why they should be on the floor.

Oh, the other thing that's hard to believe is how fast this all happened. Allen Edwards was the coach 1 year and a half ago. Linder and staff had to recruit about 10 players already. Those guys look like veterans, playing incredibly intelligent basketball, and with covid we still only have 2 upper classmen on the team. If we keep the staff and players together, we're poised for an "era" of Cowboy hoops rivaling Shyatt, early McClain, and hopefully Jim Brandenburg.

I'm all in on Linder ball. Let the good times roll.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Old-Bull
Cowpoke

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I was hoping to see a better game from
Dut. It wasn’t terrible but I remember a few TOs that were a bit sloppy. We’ll need him, Wenzel, Reynolds to eat a few minutes.

I do have concerns about what we’ll do when Ike is in foul trouble. The 5 spot could eat us up. We know Thompson probably plays better as a 4. I would have expected Nelson to get a few more minutes yesterday if he’s expected to be a bigger contributor.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:26 am I was hoping to see a better game from
Dut. It wasn’t terrible but I remember a few TOs that were a bit sloppy. We’ll need him, Wenzel, Reynolds to eat a few minutes.

I do have concerns about what we’ll do when Ike is in foul trouble. The 5 spot could eat us up. We know Thompson probably plays better as a 4. I would have expected Nelson to get a few more minutes yesterday if he’s expected to be a bigger contributor.
I am less concerned about the 5 than point guard/primary ball handler. We have capable bigs this year in Ike, Oden (you can actually call him a post player this year with his added size), Nelson, and Thompson looks much more fit this year and I think Thompson can eat a lot of minutes as a five. Thompson is rebounding well this year - finally.

Ball handlers include Maldo, DuSell and that's about it. Dut and Wenzel are not the ticket. Haven't been super impressed with either. Neither strike me as very athletic. Good shooters, but not quick at all. Reynolds is way more athletic than Dut and Wenzel so my hope is he grows into a true ball handler and one that can beat a press and reliably bring the ball up the court.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Nice win. We have a take care of business attitude to games that we should win. Never felt like we had a safe win against any team in the Edwards era.

UAPB has one of the most insane schedules to start the year that Ive seen

at Creighton (Nov 9)
at CSEwe
at Wyoming
at Portland
at Seattle
at UC Santa Barbara
at Pacific (Nov 26)

That's almost 3 weeks on the road to start a season. I guess the academic demand of UAPB isn't too much for these guys
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:47 am
laxwyo wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:26 am I was hoping to see a better game from

I am less concerned about the 5 than point guard/primary ball handler. We have capable bigs this year in Ike, Oden (you can actually call him a post player this year with his added size), Nelson, and Thompson looks much more fit this year and I think Thompson can eat a lot of minutes as a five. Thompson is rebounding well this year - finally.

Ball handlers include Maldo, DuSell and that's about it. Dut and Wenzel are not the ticket. Haven't been super impressed with either. Neither strike me as very athletic. Good shooters, but not quick at all. Reynolds is way more athletic than Dut and Wenzel so my hope is he grows into a true ball handler and one that can beat a press and reliably bring the ball up the court.
I think it's a little early to say that Wenzel and Dut aren't the ticket. Neither one has played many minutes yet and or has been asked to do much. They're roll players on this team, back up point and back up wing. Their games will grow the longer they're here. Both of them are sophomores. All the guys ahead of them in the line-up played a full season under Linder last year. They've still got some learning to do to catch up with Maldo, Ike, Oden, Jeffries, Foster, Dusell.....

As far as the primary ball handler is concerned, I think we've got one of the best points in the league with Maldo. Our offense shines with him running the point. He's long enough to make the entry pass easy. If people are denying that he just dribbles them down and scores on them himself. He has 13 assists vs 3 turnovers so far this season while being very good on the glass and putting up great offensive numbers. I guess we haven't seen pressure and length like we'll see against SDSU, so our ball handling skills haven't really been tested yet. Pressing us might be the best defense against us since it will eat up time on the shot clock and Linder prefers half court offense over fast breaks. It won't take long for opponents to figure that out, so we should see it sooner than later.

I'm not as concerned about Ike getting into foul trouble as I was last year. It's still a concern but Oden's emergence as a defensive force in the post makes him a legit back up at center for athletic bigs. Nelson can defend the bangers in the post. I think we are still a body short down low. Barnhart I think is going to be our stretch 4/5 down the road. Caden Powell looks like the guy we need to back up Ike but he's a year out.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

I’m not concerned at all with Dut playing point. He has looked good to me. He can shoot when he needs to. He drained a 3 yesterday and shot 50% in JUCO from 3. He seems to be a bit timid in trying to take too many shots so far though and seems to be more of a distributor but he got to the basket a couple of times when he wanted to in the first two games.

The first game he did a great job of finding wide open guys that could possibly take a 3 ball. I think he will be fine at point when he plays. The more he plays the better he will get also. If he just wants to distribute that will work well with this team anyways with as many shooters as we have.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:01 pm I’m not concerned at all with Dut playing point. He has looked good to me. He can shoot when he needs to. He drained a 3 yesterday and shot 50% in JUCO from 3. He seems to be a bit timid in trying to take too many shots so far though and seems to be more of a distributor but he got to the basket a couple of times when he wanted to in the first two games.

The first game he did a great job of finding wide open guys that could possibly take a 3 ball. I think he will be fine at point when he plays. The more he plays the better he will get also. If he just wants to distribute that will work well with this team anyways with as many shooters as we have.
Linder teams don't really have turnover issues. He recruits guys that can pass, handle, and shoot, so a lack of turnovers is a part of Linder's offense.

I just think Dut is getting eased in. He hasn't played much ball in practice or in games for Wyoming. Once he catches up his ability to distribute with his length and hit open shots is going to make him a fan favorite.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Fans??? What fans??? Lol...still like a library in that house, but hopefully the fans jump on this bandwagon, cuz I'm thinking this will be a fun team to watch grow and perhaps a special season....Lord knows we need SUMETHIN!!!!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Since I believe in giving credit when its due, you guys were both right. We should be concerned about our ball handlers under pressure and we should be concerned when Ike is on the bench.

We still won, but we showed all of our future opponents a blue print on how to attack us: full court pressure and get Ike in foul trouble.

We'll see how our coaches adjust.