Did anyone go to the Cheyenne scrimmage?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

If so, what we're your thoughts. I'm going to go the scrimmage in Laramie this weekend, but I would love to hear feedback on this weekends scrimmage.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Crickets
pcwyo
Buckaroo

I want to be excited about the upcoming season, but didn't see enough to get me there. Hoping it's still early and a lot of development to come. I guess I'm hesitant due to maybe being too optimistic about football this year

Not as many threes shot as during the games last year, and the ones that were shot didn't go in very often. Ike looked pretty good. Of the new guys I was impressed with Reynolds the most. Maldo looks to be in form. Thompson is still soft. He got it inside once and I wanted to see him take it up strong but he brought it out again instead. Foster and DuSell didn't play. Dut was used as point a lot and handled the ball well, but didn't try to score too much. Heck, I was trying to memorize numbers as much as anything because they still don't have names on the back.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

pcwyo wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:48 pm I want to be excited about the upcoming season, but didn't see enough to get me there. Hoping it's still early and a lot of development to come. I guess I'm hesitant due to maybe being too optimistic about football this year

Not as many threes shot as during the games last year, and the ones that were shot didn't go in very often. Ike looked pretty good. Of the new guys I was impressed with Reynolds the most. Maldo looks to be in form. Thompson is still soft. He got it inside once and I wanted to see him take it up strong but he brought it out again instead. Foster and DuSell didn't play. Dut was used as point a lot and handled the ball well, but didn't try to score too much. Heck, I was trying to memorize numbers as much as anything because they still don't have names on the back.
Thanks for the report. Not exactly encouraging words. Maybe we’re just way better at defense than last year? I’ll tell myself that
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Don’t think you can take much away from a team scrimmage. Wouldn’t get too worried about it.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

I figured that scrimmages were for work on particular issues, like Dut's ability to see preferred options (check downs?) for passes on offense, or Ike's role with shooting 3's. It occurs to me that there is a level of precision to linders game plan, and the components need work.

The next scrimmage should be interesting - I'm looking forward to some informed reviews - not only am I pumped for this team, I really don't know hoops. The last time I played organized basketball I was an enforcer, sort of, in a church league. And a poor one at that. Y'all feed my interests, so TIA.
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo

Enforcer, eh? We used to call him THE HATCHET MAN.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand

Ha! I've missed a career opportunity. I trained, a lot, just to be a bench warmer I should have been in quality control for long underwear.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand

Any news from Saturday's scrimmage?
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Injury report: Noah Reynolds was on crutches, Kenny Foster is in a walking boot, Maldonado and Wenzel didnt play but it didn't look like there's anything wrong with them.

Xavier Dusell probably had the best day. His shooting and defense are in regular season form.

Ike is going to be a big problem for people. His post moves have more polish. He looks like he's in really great physical shape, cut and ripped.

Nelson and J.O. look like they took advantage of the weight room. The Big Shamrock is a much bigger Shamrock. He could be a real defensive asset in the post, guarding peoples physical post players. J.O. almost hits his head on the rim he gets up so high. I think he's going to take a big step forward defensively this year, might average 6-8 rebounds a game.

Deng Dut takes care of the ball really well for a 6'5" point. It looks like his distribution could be a real strength. He loves to pass and his length opens up angles Williams didnt have. He has a deceptively quick first step to the rack as well.

Barnhart played surprisingly well for a skinny freshmen. Hes every bit of 7 feet tall and not as awkward as I thought he would be for a tall, gangly ginger.

I think we have a lot more defensive post options if everyone stays healthy with J.O. and Shamrock in case Ike gets in foul trouble because I think that might be the only way you can stop Ike this year.

Not a bad crowd for a scrimmage either. It was about the same as a few of the Edwards games I attended.

Those are just a few of my gold colored glasses thoughts. I'm excited for a big defensive improvement this year and a further climb towards the top of the league.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Thanks, Old Bull! Good report. Very excited for the season.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand

Any news on the last couple of scrimmages, Utah and UNC? Practices? One week until showtime!