Women's Hoops...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Interesting that Gerald steps in, and boom, year 2 - wins the tourney that Legerski never could. Especially after losing 2 of the teams best to the transfer portal!

I know it is way out of season, but damn, maybe Gerald should have been "the man" long ago. Well done Gerald, you should be celebrated more!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:40 pm Interesting that Gerald steps in, and boom, year 2 - wins the tourney that Legerski never could. Especially after losing 2 of the teams best to the transfer portal!

I know it is way out of season, but damn, maybe Gerald should have been "the man" long ago. Well done Gerald, you should be celebrated more!
Its still hard to believe that Hanna, Justina, and that squad couldn't win the tourney.

Agreed though. Our coach doesn't get enough credit for that tourney run last year. He was the lowest seed in conference history to cut down the nets in Vegas. Hopefully they can build some sustained success off the momentum.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Joe's teams played timid and scared. Gerald let them be aggressive and go after offensive rebounds. Gerald didn't require 17 passes around the perimeter before initiating the offense.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:23 pm Joe's teams played timid and scared. Gerald let them be aggressive and go after offensive rebounds. Gerald didn't require 17 passes around the perimeter before initiating the offense.
I think it helped that his short bench and starters got to rest for a month before the conference tournament started as well. If Covid didn't happen last year, I don't think we would have won the tourney.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

The women’s team made a hell of a run in the MWC tourney but let’s take a step back. During the regular season, the team had some head scratching losses. I’m not going to look at one postseason run and conclude that Gerald is a better coach and a better fit for the program than Legerski. Let’s be honest, Legerski instilled sustained success that our women‘s team never saw until his arrival.

That said - I’m cautiously optimistic for the future of the program. It may sound weird but I generally enjoy watching women’s college basketball more so than the men’s game because everything is played below the rim with an emphasis on fundamentals. I’ll never forget the noise in the 2007 WNIT final.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:35 pm I’m not going to look at one postseason run and conclude that Gerald is a better coach and a better fit for the program than Legerski.
I am. He accomplished something that Legerski never did...in year two of having the reigns. He coached that team, in the tourney, better than Legerski ever did. And maybe Legerski's in-season "success" was largely because of Gerald...
Dear Karma,

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:08 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:35 pm I’m not going to look at one postseason run and conclude that Gerald is a better coach and a better fit for the program than Legerski.
I am. He accomplished something that Legerski never did...in year two of having the reigns. He coached that team, in the tourney, better than Legerski ever did. And maybe Legerski's in-season "success" was largely because of Gerald...
I agree with you but isn’t winning the NIT a bigger accomplishment than winning the MW tourney?
W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:08 pm
I agree with you but isn’t winning the NIT a bigger accomplishment than winning the MW tourney?
Yes it is, to answer your question. Not that the NIT was Joe's only accomplishment in 17 seasons either. I was very pleased that Gerald too the team in year 2, and won the MWC tournament. With arguably his two best players transferring out after year 1.
Dear Karma,

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:23 pm
laxwyo wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:08 pm
Yes it is, to answer your question. Not that the NIT was Joe's only accomplishment in 17 seasons either. I was very pleased that Gerald too the team in year 2, and won the MWC tournament. With arguably his two best players transferring out after year 1.
I think we are lucky to have either of them.
W-Y, Until I Die!