Marcus Williams in transfer portal

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:26 am Line from a movie..."free agency killed the god damned game" - seems to be applying more and more each year, both professionally and now even more in college athletics.

No longer will you have your favorite player on your favorite team. What will that do to the actual fan? Kill 'em off is what it will do.

The gambling side is the only side that I see "winning" down the road. That and maybe fantasy sports - who don't care about the name on the front of the uniform, and never have.

Bye bye to Williams...sad to see him go, but he should blow Linder on his way out, Linder made him the player he is today. Suck that dick good holmes. :whistle:
I think you're being a little hard on the kid. He followed Linder from Greeley to Wyoming. A kid from Texas may not get the allure of Laramie in the winter during a pandemic. The campus is small enough when everyone's there. Put a bunch of classes online and have few to no fans for most of your games to really make a kid feel isolated. Personally, I thought he was little bit overrated. I didn't see him in the same class as Jay Straight or Brandon Ewing. We will miss him, but I'd rather lose Williams than Ike. Linder has a reputation for recruiting and developing guards. I'm not too worried about this.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Blah blah blah blah. Thanks for missing the game winning shot in the tourney.should have spared the poop. just gtfo
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:46 pm
McPeachy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:26 am Line from a movie..."free agency killed the god damned game" - seems to be applying more and more each year, both professionally and now even more in college athletics.

No longer will you have your favorite player on your favorite team. What will that do to the actual fan? Kill 'em off is what it will do.

The gambling side is the only side that I see "winning" down the road. That and maybe fantasy sports - who don't care about the name on the front of the uniform, and never have.

Bye bye to Williams...sad to see him go, but he should blow Linder on his way out, Linder made him the player he is today. Suck that dick good holmes. :whistle:
I think you're being a little hard on the kid. He followed Linder from Greeley to Wyoming. A kid from Texas may not get the allure of Laramie in the winter during a pandemic. The campus is small enough when everyone's there. Put a bunch of classes online and have few to no fans for most of your games to really make a kid feel isolated. Personally, I thought he was little bit overrated. I didn't see him in the same class as Jay Straight or Brandon Ewing. We will miss him, but I'd rather lose Williams than Ike. Linder has a reputation for recruiting and developing guards. I'm not too worried about this.
I don't know about that. The only thing I stated about Marcus, was that Linder made him what he is today (fact), and that he should suck that Linder F-stick like he is mad at it. He was a low-level D1 (Northern Colorado) recruit...and blossomed at WYO under Linder.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

The reason everyone is so mad is because players in his position rarely transfer. ACS comes to mind and I can’t think of too many others anywhere near FOY. Unless there’s something truly tragic in his life, it reeks of “I found out that I’m better than Wyoming”. I do think Linder’s system had a lot to do with how great he looked. It also helped that the team was young. If he goes to an upper tier team with better class balance, he probably won’t even start. If he goes to a Texas school, at least i can convince myself that he was homesick. If he goes anywhere else, then he’s just another prima donna and I hope it ends up being the worst decision he’s ever made.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

307bball wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:01 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:30 am
Big Wonderful wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:07 am Looks like NCAA free agency is back again next year. Need to go back to sitting out for a year.

https://theathletic.com/news/ncaa-expec ... VeShqu36oD
It is here to stay. You can't put that cat back in the bag.

Personally, I agree with it although it is bad news for Wyoming. College students should be free to choose where they want to attend and transfer without penalty. I will always support players that embrace Wyoming and the brown and gold. I probably won't care too much to follow players that come here as a stepping stone to play elsewhere.
Makes sense...this will probably be the new recruiting dimension. "Fit" for a program is always a big deal...now you have to include whether or not you think a kid will jump ship at the first opportunity.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... eport-says

Pretty much official now. Very different landscape of college athletics. I suppose we will start to see recruiting staff of other schools at MWC events.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Some quotes from SI

On the heels of the NCAA’s decision to allow college athletes to freely transfer and play immediately, Greg Kampe has a message for basketball coaches everywhere: Change the way you recruit or see your career go up in flames.

“If you are building for the future,” the longtime Oakland men’s coach says, “you’re going to lose your job.”

The new transfer rule, as Kampe suggests, has far-reaching ramifications and unintended consequences that worry those at the top of the sport. Many coaches plan to alter their recruiting strategy, relying so heavily on transfers that it adversely impacts high school recruits, creates an uptick in poaching other college players and sets off a trickle-down effect that could widen the gap between bluebloods and the lower rungs of sports, specifically football.

“Mid-majors are fixing to feel the pain,” Grass says. “The Power 5s are going to have FCS big boards and mid-major big boards. It’s a trickle-down effect. Us being the minor leagues? There’s a little validity to that. The top 25 are going to poach the mid-majors and the mid-majors are going to try to poach the FCS guys.”

In men’s basketball, some believe that more players will drop down from the top-level schools than will move up to them. For every mid-major star who leaves for a power school, Kempe expects there to be two to three players leaving power schools to seek more playing time in the lower rungs.

It doesn’t change the fact that some of the mid-major conferences will see their players of the year gone.

“There’s this assumption that all of our good guys in our leagues are going to leave and transfer up,” Horn says. “I do think that is going to happen.”

And what if those players don’t work out on the top level? Officials fear that coaches will push them aside to make room for, you guessed it, more transfers. It’s part of an endless cycle. Coaches looking to take advantage of the rule could conceivably build a team of only transfers, especially in basketball. Why would they do that?

“Once you fill your roster with one-time transfers, they can’t go anywhere [and play immediately again],” Grass says.

Given the expected high number of transferring players, the Academic Progress Rate will need adjustment too, officials say. It’s yet another unintended consequence of the transfer rule—one that, agree with it or not, will change the landscape of college sports forever.

“It’s no longer building for the future,” Kampe says. “The portal is going to be like the Brazilian steakhouse. The Michigans of the world will have a schmorgasboard. And at the end of next year and the next, they’re going to go back and get more steak.”
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Williams transferred to Texas A&M
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

That was a pretty quick transfer. An SEC schook would never actively recruit a guy on scholarship at another school though.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Williams isn't exactly going to a stable program. Looks like the transfer bug hit them in the ass as well. Maybe Wyoming could sign Miller

https://www.al.com/sec/2021/04/texas-am ... nsfer.html
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Looks like a homesick/closer to home transfer?
W-Y, Until I Die!