Wyoming showing interest in Ayo Okinwole....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

This guy can really shoot the ball(46 percent from 3 point land this year) and would be some competition/depth at the point.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... o-akinwole
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Williams is the only true point guard on the roster. Akinwole could play alongside Williams in a smaller lineup as well as being the backup point guard. His three point percentages have been good throughout his career with his volume steadily increasing. He shot the same percentage as Dusell this past year at 45.6%.

Having Akinwole, Dusell, and Foster on the court with Ike will give Graham a ton of room to work in the post with guys on the perimeter that shoot 45.6, 45.6, and 41.9%.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

DVDA wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:27 pm Williams is the only true point guard on the roster. Akinwole could play alongside Williams in a smaller lineup as well as being the backup point guard. His three point percentages have been good throughout his career with his volume steadily increasing. He shot the same percentage as Dusell this past year at 45.6%.

Having Akinwole, Dusell, and Foster on the court with Ike will give Graham a ton of room to work in the post with guys on the perimeter that shoot 45.6, 45.6, and 41.9%.
Yep.

I thought our biggest position of weakness was/is power forward. We've got a very good rotation at the 5. I figured we would be looking at stretch fours that can defend. I think Oden can have a much bigger impact if he can put 15-20 pounds of muscle on his frame. Hunter Thompson is an offensive fit for the stretch four position but is defensively challenged. Maybe if they can get him to work in the weight room they can change his body enough to be adequate.

Both transfers we've been linked with are ball handlers, Ayo Akinwole and Tyree Ihenacho.
I never really thought about another ball handler. It makes sense to bring in another point that can challenge Marcus for starts, especially a crafty senior.

I would be excited if we get Ayo. Its no guarantee that Marcus wins all the starts. Ayo seems like a really good fit and out of all the teams on his list, none of them have the facilities, history, and coaching that Wyoming has on offer.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

We are a second forward from being conference champs. The back court is a year older, if we land a legit PF, we would contend next year.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:55 pm We are a second forward from being conference champs. The back court is a year older, if we land a legit PF, we would contend next year.
I agree with that. I think it's more a position of need than another ball handler. We seemed more than fine with Williams and Maldo handling the rock. I guess Marble did that sometimes as well.

I don't feel great about our post defense. If Ike gets in foul trouble then we're back to where we were with Thompson and the big Shamrock defending the post. I didn't see enough of Nelson against good opponents to see if he can defend the better post players in the league. I suspect he might struggle against those guys but he was hurt for the majority of conference play and didn't really get an opportunity to prove himself. I have no faith that Thompson can develop the lateral quickness, verticle leap, physical strength, and mental awareness that he's lacking to be a good post defender. That seems like a non starter to me. I'm not saying he can't improve but he looked awful down there this year(and previous years).

I do think Oden is going to be a handful once they get 20 pounds on him. He's really long and athletic. Once he's strong I think he'll be a good post defender.

The wildcard in this is Wenzel. He was super skinny out of high school. Utah put a lot of muscle on him. I think he stands about 6'7". Maybe the coaches know something we don't. Maybe Wenzel can defend big post players.

Offensively, Linder's offenses shine when he's got a stretch four that can shoot the rock AND defend. Thompson can shoot it but he's still a liability because smart coaches just isolate him and make him defend the post.

To me, if we find a 6'8" guy that can shoot 40 percent from the three point line and defend the post, we're pretty damn close to going dancing.

I understand the coaches wanting another ball handler. After Marble left, what we would do if Marcus got hurt. Then we would be screwed.

Those are the two positions I would like to see us sign. I lean power forward, but an injury to Marcus Williams would tank our season without another ball handler.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

In fact, I think we’re a Derek Cooke away from being champs with what we’ve currently seen and without knowing some of the other players. If one turns out to be like Ike or Cooke, we’ll be sitting pretty.
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:34 pm In fact, I think we’re a Derek Cooke away from being champs with what we’ve currently seen and without knowing some of the other players. If one turns out to be like Ike or Cooke, we’ll be sitting pretty.
Whelp, so much for that poop.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Yesterdays news make it way more important to land this guy