Marcus Williams freshman of the year.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

If Ike played a full season they probably finish number 1 and 2 in voting.

https://7220sports.com/media-names-will ... -the-year/
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Congrat, Marcus! This is just the beginning
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

I must have missed it, but why did he only play 13 mins. in the last game?
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Adv8RU12 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:49 am I must have missed it, but why did he only play 13 mins. in the last game?
Linder talked about it in his post game press conference. He said he's figuring out that it's hard to play when you're the top of everyones scouting report. Linder said he's holding him to a different standard, the standard of leading scorer on a winning team, which would make him a league MVP candidate.

It sounds to me like Linder is just trying to push him to the next level.

Here, I'll let Linder explain it...

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Bout time we got a F.O.Y, youth is a good thing!!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Brandon Ewing 2.0
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:01 am Brandon Ewing 2.0
Marcus would say(and has when compared to Josh Adams), nope....the first Marcus Williams.

I wouldn't compare him to Brandon anyway. Brandon was a very good guard but he wasn't elite. You didn't want Brandon taking the shot with the game on the line. I think Brandon's stats were inflated because of the system he played in and his freedom to do whatever he wanted.

I guess we should be happy if Marcus ends up as good as Brandon, but I think Marcus potential is a level above Ewing's.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Old-Bull wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:19 am
Marcus would say(and has when compared to Josh Adams), nope....the first Marcus Williams.

I wouldn't compare him to Brandon anyway. Brandon was a very good guard but he wasn't elite. You didn't want Brandon taking the shot with the game on the line. I think Brandon's stats were inflated because of the system he played in and his freedom to do whatever he wanted.

I guess we should be happy if Marcus ends up as good as Brandon, but I think Marcus potential is a level above Ewing's.
I take your point about being his own player. I compare to Ewing because he was the most advanced freshman guard I remember. Adams to me was raw power where in Williams/Ewing I see more finesse. That being said, Brandon Ewing was absolutely elite and Ill stand my ground on that. Hard to say anything was inflated on some of the poop squads that Ewing played on. He was a 3x MWC scoring leader and 4 time all conference
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:54 am
Old-Bull wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:19 am

I take your point about being his own player. I compare to Ewing because he was the most advanced freshman guard I remember. Adams to me was raw power where in Williams/Ewing I see more finesse. That being said, Brandon Ewing was absolutely elite and Ill stand my ground on that. Hard to say anything was inflated on some of the [#]sh#t squads that Ewing played on. He was a 3x MWC scoring leader and 4 time all conference
Yeah, he piled up a lot of stats. My only drawbacks for Ewing: we never really won anything significant with him on the floor. He missed a lot of shots that would have won the game. That's what keeps me from calling him elite: he wasn't clutch and he never won anything significant. Statistically, he was dominant.

He was very good. I just don't rank him in the category of Josh Adams and guys that actually won something significant at UW.