Here are my thoughts so far on our new team.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
bullpoke
Buckaroo

You should all remember I was the first to say Edwards had to go... well so far I like what I’m seeing from our new coaching staff. And they actually coach!! We are lucky to have them.

I like this team and can see high potential with them. I also wanted to be a little critical to see where we need to improve to go to the next level.

Not sure why all these teams are shooting so good against us. I think our D has good effort some the the teams have just been making tough shots. We do get sucked in the paint helping a little bit it hasn’t bad to bad of D.

I REALLLLLY like Fosters O but I have noticed he is a step behind his guy on D and whoever he guards makes a move and kicks or takes it all the way and then we have to scramble a bit. But still great effort. Probably best shooter on the team, especially when he is set.

I like Oden but his 3 ball form is not very good I would prefer him to use his Mid range and especially “in closer” for now!

Where is the marbel that finished the season last year.. I want him back! I’m sure he will be good.

Williams is going to be good and seems so strong and in control.

Hunter T ... we still need more from him consistently.
Not impressed with Nelson and I’m curious to see if this coaching staff can develop guys. This is for sure a week position still for us.

Hunter M wow he is a great player and sooooo in control.

Also not that impressed yet with Jeffries... just hasn’t given us much for the time he’s getting. Guess we will see .. still early

I absolutely love that we try to rebound. One game I saw all 5 guys going for the ball on a rebound!

I think being so young is why we look so good at times but it’s hard to stay at that level the whole game for a young team.

Oh and one last thing we need to work on... our end of the half possessions .. and FTs. Both have hurt us.

I am excited to see how we develop this year.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

bullpoke wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:55 pm You should all remember I was the first to say Edwards had to go... well so far I like what I’m seeing from our new coaching staff. And they actually coach!! We are lucky to have them.

I like this team and can see high potential with them. I also wanted to be a little critical to see where we need to improve to go to the next level.

Not sure why all these teams are shooting so good against us. I think our D has good effort some the the teams have just been making tough shots. We do get sucked in the paint helping a little bit it hasn’t bad to bad of D.

I REALLLLLY like Fosters O but I have noticed he is a step behind his guy on D and whoever he guards makes a move and kicks or takes it all the way and then we have to scramble a bit. But still great effort. Probably best shooter on the team, especially when he is set.

I like Oden but his 3 ball form is not very good I would prefer him to use his Mid range and especially “in closer” for now!

Where is the marbel that finished the season last year.. I want him back! I’m sure he will be good.

Not impressed with Nelson and I’m curious to see if this coaching staff can develop guys. This is for sure a week position still for us.

Also not that impressed yet with Jeffries... just hasn’t given us much for the time he’s getting. Guess we will see .. still early

I absolutely love that we try to rebound. One game I saw all 5 guys going for the ball on a rebound!

I think being so young is why we look so good at times but it’s hard to stay at that level the whole game for a young team.

Oh and one last thing we need to work on... our end of the half possessions .. and FTs. Both have hurt us.

I think if we have Foster against Southern, we win for sure. I agree that his D is a little soft, but the plusses far out weigh the rest. Oden is a beast and really showed up this game. DuSell is a gamer, not all around as good as Williams, but can go to the hole and is a good 3 point shooter. Nelson is solid, good defender,solid rebounder and a good big body, only “true” big guy we have with Ike not playing. Thompson is great, better as a stretch 4 for sure, came up big at the end. Maldo is best all around player, does so many things well. When Marble turns it up, and he will, we are going to have ourselves a very dangerous team
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

bullpoke wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:55 pm You should all remember I was the first to say Edwards had to go... well so far I like what I’m seeing from our new coaching staff. And they actually coach!! We are lucky to have them.

I'm still waiting until we play a good team to figure out how good we are. I like the direction we're headed.

Good signs: the staff he put together was absolutely brilliant: Wyoming high school grad(college head coach), Wyoming college grad, a guy that's coached on 4 Wyoming staffs and is practically a native at this point in Vandiver, and an assistant that ranked in the top 50 of basketball's assistant coaches last year. These guys want to be in Laramie and know you can win here. He got three guys on staff with heavy Wyoming ties.

That recruiting class he put together in a month was outstanding. He's got an elite eye for identifying talent and then actually improves his players while they play for him. I don't know if the same can be said for Edwards, Schroyer.....Who's the last guy to finish 1st in our league at recruiting in football or basketball?

We're young and we've got a short bench that Linder is still trying to figure out. We've only played four games. He's starting to develop a rotation he likes.

It's too early to tell at this point, but all the signs are good that we've got a coach that can win titles and NCAA tournament games from the bench in Laramie.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Old-Bull wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:15 pm

I'm still waiting until we play a good team to figure out how good we are. I like the direction we're headed.

Good signs: the staff he put together was absolutely brilliant: Wyoming high school grad(college head coach), Wyoming college grad, a guy that's coached on 4 Wyoming staffs and is practically a native at this point in Vandiver, and an assistant that ranked in the top 50 of basketball's assistant coaches last year. These guys want to be in Laramie and know you can win here. He got three guys on staff with heavy Wyoming ties.

That recruiting class he put together in a month was outstanding. He's got an elite eye for identifying talent and then actually improves his players while they play for him. I don't know if the same can be said for Edwards, Schroyer.....Who's the last guy to finish 1st in our league at recruiting in football or basketball?

We're young and we've got a short bench that Linder is still trying to figure out. We've only played four games. He's starting to develop a rotation he likes.

It's too early to tell at this point, but all the signs are good that we've got a coach that can win titles and NCAA tournament games from the bench in Laramie.
I wouldn’t say we have a short bench. 9 guys getting minutes to me is perfect, unless it’s a blowout. Nevada had an amazing run two years ago with 6 guys. That’s a short bench. Surprised to not see Lamont play tonight, but the OT games and Incarnate showed who his main players are. Hoping to see what Ike can do this year, if his knee is ready
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Liking what im hearing from Reece so far. I'm ready to see them live sometime soon
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Vt poke wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:48 pm

I wouldn’t say we have a short bench. 9 guys getting minutes to me is perfect, unless it’s a blowout. Nevada had an amazing run two years ago with 6 guys. That’s a short bench. Surprised to not see Lamont play tonight, but the OT games and Incarnate showed who his main players are. Hoping to see what Ike can do this year, if his knee is ready
We haven't played anyone yet. Linder is giving everyone minutes because he can and he wants to figure out who he can depend on and who shouldn't be getting a lot of minutes. When we play someone with a pulse, we'll learn more.

Ike is out until midway through the conference season. Linder is sitting on 2 scholarships, although he gave one to Grisby for this season since it isn't being used(neither is Grisby). We're 3 scholarships short this season until Ike recovers from knee surgery.

Who knows, maybe all the guys that are playing now will be in the rotation by tournament time. I doubt it.

I still think we have a short bench though. We saw what happened when Marble and Foster we're out. We were dog ass tired and gave up a 20 point half time lead at home to Texas Southern. If covid takes a couple of players away while we're three guys short: we're screwed, especially against someone good.

I'm just as excited as you, but I'm just trying to pump the brakes until we play someone that could challenge for a MWC title. That's the bar I want to see, and I think a couple of our players won't be playing much in those types of games.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

This is a damn fun team to watch. Super excited for the next 4 years with this freshman class! What I've seen so far:

Dusell: Haven't quite figured out his role yet, but I'm leaning 3 and D. Dude is always smiling and always full tilt.

Foster: He should be in the starting lineup, and probably will be soon. Biggest scoring threat on the team. Defense is merely ok, but he brings enough to the table on offense to offset that.

Jeffires: Can't figure out why he's in the starting lineup. This guy should be playing as a short-minute sniper when we need 3's. He can shoot, but gets lost when asked to do too much.

LaMont: Can't get a bead on Drew yet. Not enough minutes. We need someone that can get tough in the paint. I hope he can get there.

Maldonado: Best overall player on the team. Luckily it isn't all on his shoulders this year, though. GREAT team player. Facilitates well, scores well, defends well. Heart of the team.

Marble: So far this season Kwane has been out of control. As soon as he reigns it in he'll be a scoring machine. His defense is improving every minute he's on the floor. Will be playing starter-caliber minutes in conference play, but needs to get his feet under him.

Nelson: Raw is the first word that comes to mind. You see flashes with the Big Shamrock, but he's going to take a while to develop. BIG dude. Should be able to put some weight on and bang in the lane.

Oden: Marcus Williams has been getting all the hype early this season, but I'm most excited about Oden. Can post up, fights HARD for rebounds, good off the bounce, SOLID defender, and can sky. This kid is going to be GOOD.

Thompson: Linder wasn't lying when he said that Hunter could be the biggest mismatch in the conference. Euro style stretch 4 that is PERFECT for this offense. His shooting stroke is getting more and more consistent. Needs to get tougher in the paint, though.

Williams: This kid is already the 2nd best player on the team, and he's only played 3 4 games. Quick, great shooter, lock-down defender, and leader on the floor. He and Oden are going to remind us all of Adams and Nance again.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

From what I've seen, Oden is a game changer. He can post up, put it on the floor, and has some nifty moves around the bucket.
I like Dussel and the other freshman as well. The talent level has taken a huge step up this year. It will be fun to watch these guys improve throughout the year. We will be very good by tournament time.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:10 am

We haven't played anyone yet. Linder is giving everyone minutes because he can and he wants to figure out who he can depend on and who shouldn't be getting a lot of minutes. When we play someone with a pulse, we'll learn more.

Ike is out until midway through the conference season. Linder is sitting on 2 scholarships, although he gave one to Grisby for this season since it isn't being used(neither is Grisby). We're 3 scholarships short this season until Ike recovers from knee surgery.

Who knows, maybe all the guys that are playing now will be in the rotation by tournament time. I doubt it.

I still think we have a short bench though. We saw what happened when Marble and Foster we're out. We were dog A$$ tired and gave up a 20 point half time lead at home to Texas Southern. If covid takes a couple of players away while we're three guys short: we're screwed, especially against someone good.

I'm just as excited as you, but I'm just trying to pump the brakes until we play someone that could challenge for a MWC title. That's the bar I want to see, and I think a couple of our players won't be playing much in those types of games.
Oregon state is a low Pac-12 team, but given where the MWC is at now they would compete for the top of the conference. The same was true when we beat them in 2017, when we ended up winning 10 MWC games and beating the 3 best teams in the league. Texas Southern could very well be a tournament team as a conference champion.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I think Jeffries will have to ride the pine mostly from now on.

If I were the coach I'd play a lineup of Williams, Foster, Marble, Maldonado and Thompson the most. I'd have DeSuell, Oden, Nelson getting lots of minutes then I'd play Jeffries and LaMont sparingly. So basically what's happening. Damn, Linder must be a good coach :lol:

I'm excited to see what Ike can do when he's fit to play
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:23 am I think Jeffries will have to ride the pine mostly from now on.

If I were the coach I'd play a lineup of Williams, Foster, Marble, Maldonado and Thompson the most. I'd have DeSuell, Oden, Nelson getting lots of minutes then I'd play Jeffries and LaMont sparingly. So basically what's happening. Damn, Linder must be a good coach :lol:

I'm excited to see what Ike can do when he's fit to play
Agree for the most part, but I would put Oden in, have Marble come off the bench. Kinda depends on who we play, but Oden with length will help clean up the boards. Jeffries in the mold of Jake Hendricks, quick guy who if on can help nail a couple 3’s. Was super impressed with Dusell. We are definitely a guard heavy team that I would like to see press more often, especially when playing bigger teams
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:14 am

I still think we have a short bench though. We saw what happened when Marble and Foster we're out. We were dog A$$ tired and gave up a 20 point half time lead at home to Texas Southern. If covid takes a couple of players away while we're three guys short: we're screwed, especially against someone good.

Oregon state is a low Pac-12 team, but given where the MWC is at now they would compete for the top of the conference. The same was true when we beat them in 2017, when we ended up winning 10 MWC games and beating the 3 best teams in the league. Texas Southern could very well be a tournament team as a conference champion.
I don't agree. A turd is a turd, regardless of what butt it comes out of. OSU is a turd.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:33 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:14 am

I don't agree. A turd is a turd, regardless of what butt it comes out of. OSU is a turd.
It's also a turd that last year's Wyo squad lost to by 20 in Laramie and would have got smoked on the road. I'll take the W and the progress we're seeing.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

I definitely think it was a solid win. It was a road win with no fans against a team that is usually one of the bottom three teams in the Pac 12. They usually aren't that good.

It's still great to see us win one on the road against a big 6 school. It's progress. We wouldn't have done that the last couple of years.

I still don't think it gives us a very good read on the talent of our team.