Mississippi Valley State

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Old-Bull wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:34 pm I just got back from the game.

It's no wonder the coaches are calling Hunter Thompson D.T. He does look different. He's in the best shape I've ever seen him in. His minutes were kind of limited because it looked like he was in foul trouble. He could have a huge year and be in contention for MW player of the year. Linder is playing him to his strengths. I can only remember one play all game where Hunter posted up and got the ball.

Marble and Foster didn't play due to Covid.

Marcus Williams could have went for 50. They didn't have a player that could keep him from going to the rack whenever he wanted. He made some nice hustle plays and some sneaky steals as well. He just missed on a monster Oop to Oden. They'll dial in the chemistry on the oop, but he's an explosive point that likes to distribute the ball. If you collapse to help with him attacking the rim, the ball goes straight to the open man. He's an assist machine. It will be interesting to see who starts when Marble is back. Maybe Marble will start at the two and Jeffries will go to the bench. It's only one game, but it looks like Marcus needs to be on the floor. His ability to attack the rim and find the open man makes this offense click. Kwane is pretty damn good at attacking the rack as well. It will be fun to see how it shakes out.

Maldonado's numbers might suffer this year. The last few years, he was one of the best offensive weapons we had. In this offense, he's not going to have to take a lot of shots. They'll still post him up and isolate him. He's still great at attacking the rim. He just isn't anywhere near one of the best three point shooters on this team. I think we'll see a lot more of Maldonado in the post, and a lot less of him shooting from the three point line, unless his outside shot has improved(too early to tell).

Drake Jeffries can shoot it. He could average 20 points a game for us this year.

Eoin(Owen) Nelson impressed me more than I thought he would. He's pretty damn big and showed nice touch around the rim for a guy his size with limited experience.

One of the benefits of having that many good shooters on the roster is free throw percentage. It looks like we have a bunch of guys that will hurt you at the free throw line. That looks like a team strength.

I was surprised that we didn't have a lot more turnovers. The first game of the season it can get pretty ugly. I don't know what the final the final numbers we're, but it wasn't a noticeable problem.

Like turnovers, I didn't feel pissed off about our lack of rebounding. It's too early in the season to tell, but we didn't get destroyed on the boards like we have been the last few years.

They had a few slow stretches(the start of the second half) which is to be expected for a season opener. You would love to see them focused for the entire game and more consistent, but it was a good start.

Not the toughest opponent, but at least we jumped out on them early and the game was never competitive. You can't really tell what kind of team we have yet, but it was a good start.
Thanks for the recap Old-Bull. I got a similar impression watching on tv. Monday we got Texas Southern who gave Washington State a game in Pullman. We should get a better sense what kind of team we got from that game.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Linder said that Texas Southern is really talented in the post game interview. Without Marble and Foster, we'll be tested for sure.

Its good to be excited again, even if we don't know how good or bad we are yet.

I was just happy to see us take care of the ball and take good shots. Those are signs of a well coached team.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

We looked good against a terrible team.

Marcus Williams looked great. I don’t care for all the threes but if we make them great. Maldonado’s role seems to be greatly reduced

Exciting start to a new era of cowboy basketball. Go pokes!
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:08 am We looked good against a terrible team.

Marcus Williams looked great. I don’t care for all the threes but if we make them great. Maldonado’s role seems to be greatly reduced

Maldo’s scoring role is reduced but he still has a huge role. He moved the ball better than anybody, was our best perimeter defender, and occupied the defenses attention with his penetration ability. When he wasn’t on the floor the offense and defense were much less efficient. His importance will become clear when we start facing bigger more athletic teams.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:13 am
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:08 am We looked good against a terrible team.

Maldo’s scoring role is reduced but he still has a huge role. He moved the ball better than anybody, was our best perimeter defender, and occupied the defenses attention with his penetration ability. When he wasn’t on the floor the offense and defense were much less efficient. His importance will become clear when we start facing bigger more athletic teams.
He tied Williams for the team lead in assists.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Old-Bull wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:53 am
Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:13 am

He tied Williams for the team lead in assists.
When Maldo is your best offensive threat, that’s not a great thing. Maldo is the heart and soul of the team, great all around player, but not Justin James. He’s best in a supporting role, albeit big role. We got much better last year when Marble took off. Williams could be the key to this year, a guy that can drive, dish and create for others. Can’t wait to see how we do tomm night. If we win without Kenny and Kwane, watch out, this team could be legit. Hoping and praying
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Old-Bull wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:17 pm Linder said that Texas Southern is really talented in the post game interview. Without Marble and Foster, we'll be tested for sure.

Its good to be excited again, even if we don't know how good or bad we are yet.

I was just happy to see us take care of the ball and take good shots. Those are signs of a well coached team.
Miss Valley is ranked dead last (357 of 357) in KenPom. They would lose to some AAU teams. Glad we beat them handily missing a few guys, but tonight is our real season opener.