POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Comments from Coach Linder on Signing Day:

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Three junior college transfers and three high school prospects signed on the dotted line to play for the Cowboys next season. The six signees helped the Pokes rank No. 53 in the nation and top in the Mountain West in recruiting according to Rivals.com.

If legit that's a great sign since i have no idea there last time we topped any conference in recruiting.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:11 pm Three junior college transfers and three high school prospects signed on the dotted line to play for the Cowboys next season. The six signees helped the Pokes rank No. 53 in the nation and top in the Mountain West in recruiting according to Rivals.com.

If legit that's a great sign since i have no idea there last time we topped any conference in recruiting.
Rivals' point system for ranking teams can be a little funky, but we'll take it, right?! Wyoming could have an even bigger point lead on other MWC schools at this point, but in typical Rivals fashion, they are slow to rate a number of players. If Nelson and Lamont receive a star rating, Linder's group could/would have an even larger point total. Regardless, the arrow looks to be pointing up now for the program. We shall see.

Let's see what Linder and staff can do in the future, recruiting-wise, when they are able to get recruits to actually visit campus and the facilities (instead of recruiting by phone and on-line only.)

Rivals-Wyoming: https://wyoming.rivals.com/commitments/basketball/2020
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

“For me, first and foremost, I’m concerned about defensive rebounding. We will be in the top-30 in defensive rebounding percentage,” Linder said. “We’re not going to be an elite offensive rebounding team. … that’s just not how we’re built. … But certain guys will know they’re crash guys… we talk about those being winning plays.”

“All these guys have come from winning programs. That’s something we won’t sacrifice in recruiting,” Linder said. “We won’t sacrifice character, we won’t sacrifice guys who haven’t won … those are the things we look for and are diligent about. That’s what we accomplished with this recruiting class.”

Story: https://www.wyosports.net/university_of ... 7a1ca.html
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

A compilation of all six Linder signees with comments from the Coach:

Xavier DuSell WyoNation Thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19426

Linder on DuSell:

"We're really excited Xavier made the decision to follow us from Northern Colorado to Wyoming. We knew when he signed at UNC that we were getting an impact player that we felt was a Mountain West caliber talent. Xavier is a multi-dimensional guard who brings a high level of skill and IQ to the court. X shoots the ball at an elite level and has the ability to create scoring opportunities for himself and others. We love the character and personality that Xavier brings to the Cowboy program and look forward to his impact in Laramie." Linder said.

Drake Jeffries WyoNation Thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19440

Linder on Jeffries:

"Drake comes to Wyoming regarded as one of the best shooters in all of junior college basketball. Drake is a late bloomer and has really improved as a player, both physically and from a skill standpoint in the years since high school. Playing in the D2 ranks and then for one of the best junior college programs in the nation at Indian Hills Community College has helped prepare him to help the Cowboys from day one. Drake is not only a skilled perimeter shooter and scorer, but he brings excellent length and athleticism to the perimeter. We love the character, maturity and leadership ability that Drake brings to the Wyoming program"

Marcus Williams WyoNation Thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19460

Linder on Williams:

"We're ecstatic to have Marcus join us in Laramie. Marcus will bring a lot of excitement to the Arena-Auditorium with his explosive play-making and shifty quickness. Marcus is a proven winner, taking his team to the final four in the largest class of Texas high school basketball. Marcus's ability to make reads – especially in ball-screen situations and to play-make for others is elite. Players that make life easier for everyone else on the floor are hard to come by and Marcus does that at a high level. We look forward to Marcus electrifying the Wyoming faithful in the Double-A for years to come." Linder said.

Drew LaMont WyoNation Thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19461

Linder on LaMont:

"Were ecstatic to welcome a forward of Drew's caliber to the Cowboy Men's Basketball program. Drew comes from a family of athletes with his brother Drake having played basketball collegiately at Western Michigan and his mother Jennifer having been a swimmer at USC. As a player, Drew brings an ability to stretch the floor with his perimeter shooting and feel for spacing. Players with his size at 6'8 and skill level are never easy to find in recruiting. Additionally, Drew's experience of having been at both the D1 and junior college level provides great perspective and preparedness for our roster. We look forward to Drew making shots at a high level in the Double A."

Eoin Nelson WyoNation Thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19464

Linder on Nelson:

"We're excited for Eoin to join the Cowboys. As a developing player, who is young in the game of basketball, we're excited that Eoin's best days are ahead of him. Eoin's background in Gaelic football and hurling while growing up in Ireland bring a physicality and toughness to the table. Big guys that can run the floor and have great hands are a commodity in college basketball, and Eoin can do both. Eoin is a quick learner as well as a phenomenal athlete who has improved by leaps and bounds the last couple of years. We look forward to his continued development in Laramie." Linder said.

Graham Ike WyoNation Thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19475

Linder on Ike:

"We're thrilled to have Graham join the Cowboy family! Graham has an infectious personality and spirit to go along with his basketball ability. As a player, he is an excellent scorer on the block. Graham is a bit of a throwback post player in many ways, as guys who can really score down low are few and far between in today's game. He puts a lot of pressure on the opposing defense to keep him from scoring inside! Graham is continuing to expand his game and will only continue to improve as he gains more experience. We look forward to the energy that Graham will bring to the program every day."
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

The three HS seniors we signed seem to have massive potential. Very excited to see their careers unfold.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

It sure will be nice to care about basketball again.
W-Y, Until I Die!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Linder Joins McKinney To Discuss 1st Cowboys Signing Class (WYO-VISION)

CSPokeFan
Buckaroo

What a great class, especially during these trying times. I still would like to get that 6‘9“, 6‘10“ solid rebounder for next season. Lack of rebounding killed us last year.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

It looks like Linder and crew have just offered Jeremiah Oden, a 6'8", 190 lbs forward from Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas. A 2020, three-star Rivals and 247sports recruit. Over the last year, Oden apparently had offers from Minnesota, New Mexico, San Francisco, UTEP, DePaul, Valpo, and Saint Louis, in addition to Wyoming.

PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

I have not been this excited about a new season of Cowboy basketball since witnessing the last outright championship win against Utah in the Real Dome of Doom. Josh Davis, Marcus Bailey, Jay Straight, Uche Nsonwu-Amadi(yes, i looked it up), and the cast of Wyoming greats that led the Cowboy to a great win against #6 Gonzaga in the NCAAs! That game in the AA almost gave me a heart attack at age 37 and couldn't hear my wife telling me to yell louder with her next to me. Caleb Smith doing his thing during Cotton Eyed Joe was the frosting on that magnificent cake.

Bring me those days, and i'll say Wyoming Basketball is BACK!!!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Another Linder podcast talking recruiting philosophy.......

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Linder re-recruit Kwane Marble Jr.:

Last edited by POKE FAN on Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Good to hear it oficially