Keep this team together!

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
springs_poke
Buckaroo

The NCAA will likely change the transfer rule this summer, and players can transfer and play elsewhere immediately. Face it, this team rallied around Edwards. These kids have talent, and a ton of heart. That was a fun tournament!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

springs_poke wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:56 pm The NCAA will likely change the transfer rule this summer, and players can transfer and play elsewhere immediately. Face it, this team rallied around Edwards. These kids have talent, and a ton of heart. That was a fun tournament!
You’ve gotta be kidding me. Talk about being prisoner of the moment. This team sucked all year and Edwards is a terrible coach. Nine wins and everyone is acting like they just won the NCAA tournament. Edwards is gone and half the team can leave too if they want. You need to look at the entire body of work. If Edwards stays enjoy 10 wins again next year and 13 people at every game.
springs_poke
Buckaroo

Did you watch the tournament? Did you watch the last half of the season? Do you have something personally against Edwards?

Have you ever competed in anything and simply struggled for awhile? Please elaborate. But then, after hard work, you "get it"? That happened to this team. It is actually a better building experience than immediate success.

I was a a freshman hearing the screams out the dorm windows when Dembo led us to the sweet 16. I was in Albuquerque starting chants when we beat Gonzaga, and almost beat Arizona. I watched Nance Jr. and Adams lead us to the tourney. I watched this team come back on a senior AF team at Clune on senior day a couple weeks ago. That AF team won the next couple games and led San Diego state in the second half a couple days ago.

And I had that same level of hope and excitement the last few days.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Please oh please let us see a Edwards firing announcement today. These two games don't make up for the fact that he had eight wins in year three and nine wins in year four. There was only about 10 teams out of 350 that were worse than us this year. Bring in a new coach who can keep the key players and spark some excitement into the program again. Keeping Edwards is as good as going for a 10-win season again next year.

Edwards had all of conference play to save his job and he went 2 and 16 during that time. Our team has gotten worse and worse each year. The process he speaks about has killed the basketball program which is probably 3 years out still from recovering. We need to start the rebuilding process now and that starts by getting rid of Edwards.

Imagine having an entire season of excitement rather than two games That's what we could have with a new coach. with Edwards we're looking at an entire dreadful season again and maybe a little luck as one of the bottom two seeds in the mountain West tournament again next year
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

springs_poke wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:58 am Did you watch the tournament? Did you watch the last half of the season? Do you have something personally against Edwards?

Have you ever competed in anything and simply struggled for awhile? Please elaborate. But then, after hard work, you "get it"? That happened to this team. It is actually a better building experience than immediate success.

I was a a freshman hearing the screams out the dorm windows when Dembo led us to the sweet 16. I was in Albuquerque starting chants when we beat Gonzaga, and almost beat Arizona. I watched Nance Jr. and Adams lead us to the tourney. I watched this team come back on a senior AF team at Clune on senior day a couple weeks ago. That AF team won the next couple games and led San Diego state in the second half a couple days ago.

Last half of the season? Do you mean final 15 regular season games where we went 2-13 with our two wins being against teams with losing records. No thanks I don't need more of that next year. Bring on a new coach who can find a way to lead the team to more success than 2 wins and throw smoke and mirror speeches about how the fanbase can't expect to win in his 4th year with all his recruits.

Basketball can be turned around in a couple years. It isn't a 6 or 8 year process. The fanbase should absolutely expect to win in year 4 of a coach
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I think with this run they should keep him BUT if he/they don't win over 75% of the non conference games then give him the boot, see what the off season and team building does, besides he's got 1 year left any I'd say pay to play, hard to say if any recruits are in the pipeline
Last edited by stymeman on Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Ha, this is ridiculous. Edwards is gone, he knows he's gone. At least the last 3 games were a nice cherry on top of the turd sundae that was this season.

I think even if they had shocked the world and won the tourney, he STILL gets the boot.
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

stymeman wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:26 am I think with this run they should keep him
do you really believe Edwards deserves to keep his job because he beat Colorado St and Nevada in the tournament? You're willing to overlook the fact we won just two games in 2020 prior to these recent games?

after last night, Wyoming is 244th in the KenPom rankings

if you are content with that, we should just drop the program

we finished the season 353rd in offensive rebounding %. And we are 319th in adjusted offensive efficiency. Out of 353 teams. We are sooooo pathetic and this coaching staff deserves to be fired ASAP
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:59 am ...and 13 people at every game.
12. I'm not going next year.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

springs_poke wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:58 am Did you watch the tournament? Did you watch the last half of the season? Do you have something personally against Edwards?

You are out of your ever loving goddamned mind. They have been one of the worst teams in division I for the last two years and suddenly two wins trumps all that? You cannot be serious.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 64 times

stymeman wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:26 am I think with this run they should keep him but if he/they don't win over 75% of the non conference games then boot, see what the off season and team building does, besides he's got 1 year left any I'd say pay to play
"this run" lasted 2 games. We won 2 close games that could have easily gone the other way. This team has serious deficiencies that were really exposed last night. Namely, no big man to rebound and block shots as well as lack of size and strength in general. I have mixed feelings because I've watched this team and have admired the effort level in the face of all the losses. But just because these kids will be a year older next year doesn't necessarily mean they will be more competitive. After 4 years, it's clear that the current staff can't recruit at a level to be competitive at the D1 level.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:30 am Ha, this is ridiculous. Edwards is gone, he knows he's gone. At least the last 3 games were a nice cherry on top of the turd sundae that was this season.

I think even if they had shocked the world and won the tourney, he STILL gets the boot.
Totally on point. Let's think about what he's done while he's here:

-Left Justin James on the bench
-Didn't play Kwane Marble until the end of the year, even though he's clearly our best player
-Makes mind numbing decisions on rebounding and defense (even though that's where they claim to hang their hats)
-Told us this was a rebuilding job IN HIS 4TH YEAR

I'm with WestWYOPoke. This was a fun tourney, but Edwards should probably already have his house in Laramie on the market.
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

If you want to keep Edwards based on 3 days when we have had the two worse seasons in the history of the program in terms of losses under him then I feel sorry for you. You can't let emotion get in the way of what has to be done. He took over a program that was in great shape and now we are in the gutter. That's all on him.

\Yet, Burman has proven not to be the best of decision-makers and I think there is a better than 50% chance he listens to the idiots and keeps him around.
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

I was worried about this mindset. The two wins in the tournament were nice, but it in no way excludes the poop show that graces the AA currently. People used to fear playing us, now they laugh at us. The basketball program is a laughing stock.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

I have been harder on Edwards than anyone, for the last 2 or 3 years I have been saying to fire him.

With that said this Wyoming team did improve the last 3rd of the season. No they didn’t win a lot of games but they had a few games that they could have won and blew it in the last few minutes. They looked night and day better playing in Vegas in the tournament than I ever thought they would.

I have to give Edward credit for that since I bagged on him so bad as a coach. I think he seems to be a great guy personally and have nothing against him. I give him credit for the last few games and the team improving.

I also have to give him credit for recruiting Foster, Marble, Milton, Taylor, Maldonado and getting Hunter Thompson to come here. Those guys all looked much improved the last 3 games and are all young and will be a force in the conference the next 2 or 3 years with what I saw in the tournament if they can get a decent big guy down low.

With all that said I do think Edwards has learned a lot and will use this as a learning experience and can be a better head coach down the road. Wyoming has to fire him though with the whole body of work. At the end of the day it is a business.

I do believe if Wyoming can hire a solid coach, that they have some good building blocks on this team to compete and be very improved next year if they can add some beef down low.

Good luck to coach Edwards in the future.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

The OP must be a personal friend of coach Edwards
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

I seriously hope Burman is not so short sighted that making it to the conference semifinals outweighs several years of piss poor performance from this program. Making it to the later rounds of the tourney should be a minimum expectation for Wyoming basketball especially in past years when Edwards team was loaded with talent that Shyatt recruited here. Keeping Edwards means the AA will remain empty maybe for several more years to come. The fact that we seem to have some young talent is even more reason to make a change in leadership. Thank you for your time Edwards.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

I guess the players are really stumping for Edwards to stay. There'll probably be a lot of players transferring which sucks. BEFORE the tourney I would have said no biggie, but after seeing how hard they can play and how good they can be, it sucks.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:55 pm I guess the players are really stumping for Edwards to stay. There'll probably be a lot of players transferring which sucks. BEFORE the tourney I would have said no biggie, but after seeing how hard they can play and how good they can be, it sucks.
Who gives a poop. We will miss Thompson and his 2 rebound a game.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 64 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:11 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:55 pm I guess the players are really stumping for Edwards to stay. There'll probably be a lot of players transferring which sucks. BEFORE the tourney I would have said no biggie, but after seeing how hard they can play and how good they can be, it sucks.
Who gives a Sh#t. We will miss Thompson and his 2 rebound a game.
Actually, I think it's more like 1 rebound a game. Players may stump for a coach. It hardly means they will transfer. We didn't lose anyone when McClain was fired. Sadly, we didn't lose enough players when Schroyer was fired. I feel confident that if the right hire is made, we will surpass last year's 9 win total.