Big 12 Wrestling Trny.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
American Horse
Ranch Hand

All right men. Just want to know your thoughts on conference trny. this weekend. Will WY have any individual champs? How many will place high enough to get an automatic bid to NCAA Championships? It looks to me like 3 wrestlers should qualify with another 3 as long shots. Thoughts?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

American Horse wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:19 pm All right men. Just want to know your thoughts on conference trny. this weekend. Will WY have any individual champs? How many will place high enough to get an automatic bid to NCAA Championships? It looks to me like 3 wrestlers should qualify with another 3 as long shots. Thoughts?
Locks
133 - Bridges got a nice draw with the #1 seed (I'm not sure he should have been with the loss to Lamont) and thus I see him as a near lock to make the finals at the Big 12s. 8 from the Big 12 will qualify at 133.
197 - I see Buchanan as qualifying. The Big 12 gets 6 at the weight class.

Should Qualify
HWT - I see Andrews as qualifying. The Big 12 gets 7 at HWT.

Decent Chance
174 - Hastings . Hasn't been the same since the injury but he has the talent. Needs to finish top 5.

So You're Saying there is a Chance
184 - Samuelson . Seems like a lost season for him but he has the talent...will he have the desire?

Hail Mary
157 - Dewey Krueger . This is his last shot at wrestling. Big 12 gets 5 qualifiers. I'd love to see him go on a tourney run and win the thing. Noone thought Wyoming wouldf upset CSU either...but look what happened.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I haven't been following wrestling as closely as I usually do because all the early attrition sucked the fun out of the season somewhat, but it seems like the Big XII is down this year. OK State is down and has been trending down for some time. Having said this, I was surprised to see that the Big XII was still slotted the second most qualifiers out of any conference.

Hastings, Montorrie, and Andrews should qualify. Beyond that I don't feel too confident. Maybe Buchanan can make a run
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:46 pm I haven't been following wrestling as closely as I usually do because all the early attrition sucked the fun out of the season somewhat, but it seems like the Big XII is down this year. OK State is down and has been trending down for some time. Having said this, I was surprised to see that the Big XII was still slotted the second most qualifiers out of any conference.

Hastings, Montorrie, and Andrews should qualify. Beyond that I don't feel too confident. Maybe Buchanan can make a run
Buchanan a 4 seed in a weight with 6 qualifiers and Hastings a 6 seed in a weight with 5 qualifiers. Buchanan has been much more consistent throughout the year. Hastings has really struggled since the injury.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:59 pm
American Horse wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:19 pm All right men. Just want to know your thoughts on conference trny. this weekend. Will WY have any individual champs? How many will place high enough to get an automatic bid to NCAA Championships? It looks to me like 3 wrestlers should qualify with another 3 as long shots. Thoughts?
Locks
133 - Bridges got a nice draw with the #1 seed (I'm not sure he should have been with the loss to Lamont) and thus I see him as a near lock to make the finals at the Big 12s. 8 from the Big 12 will qualify at 133.
197 - I see Buchanan as qualifying. The Big 12 gets 6 at the weight class.

Should Qualify
HWT - I see Andrews as qualifying. The Big 12 gets 7 at HWT.

Decent Chance
174 - Hastings . Hasn't been the same since the injury but he has the talent. Needs to finish top 5.

So You're Saying there is a Chance
184 - Samuelson . Seems like a lost season for him but he has the talent...will he have the desire?

Hail Mary
157 - Dewey Krueger . This is his last shot at wrestling. Big 12 gets 5 qualifiers. I'd love to see him go on a tourney run and win the thing. Noone thought Wyoming wouldf upset CSU either...but look what happened.
Pretty much as I see it. Unless Bridges can't wrestle, he qualifies. Even then, I think he would get an at-large bid. So worst case scenario-1. Best case scenario-6. What usually happens is things fall somewhere between. In any case it will be fun to watch and we will know for sure in a few days!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Decent first 2 rounds for Pokes with the following advancing to the semi-finals: Montorie Bridges, Stephen Buchanan, Tate Samuelson and Brian Andrews.

Hastings and Moody lose close ones in the quarters.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

Good day up to this point. Looks like 5 have a pretty good shot of making it automatically to the NCAAs with 6 a real possibility. If that were to happen this would have to be considered a GREAT tournament for the Pokes. Time will tell!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Well semi-finals was painful. Bridges loses to Sykora from NDSU. Bad loss and keeps with Bridges’ yearly regression. Buchanan and Samuelson both with close losses too. Bright spot was Andrews beating the 1 seed Orndorf of UVSU to make the final.

Moody and Hastings still in it as well.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Dewey still in as well.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:06 pm Well semi-finals was painful. Bridges loses to Sykora from NDSU. Bad loss and keeps with Bridges’ yearly regression. Buchanan and Samuelson both with close losses too. Bright spot was Andrews beating the 1 seed Orndorf of UVSU to make the final.

Moody and Hastings still in it as well.
Damn, only 1 in the finals?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Good wrestleback round with Moody and Hastings winning. Dewey eliminated however to finish his career. Moody, Hastings, Buchanan and Bridges all guaranteed top 6. Moody and Hastings each need to win one more to qualify. Bridges has punched his ticket and Buchanan likely in as well.

Andrews against Gremmel in the finals in a pretty big match for national seeding.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Today is probably the worst performance by the Cowboys I can remember (given the talent). Basically everyone lost every match except Bridges who took third.

Qualifiers:Bridges and Andrews

UGLY
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Also I jumped the gun on Buchanan. He lost every match today and then wrestled for true 6th and lost to place 7th and thus no NCAA bid (unless at large).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wow, we sucked
303cowboy
Cowpoke

Andrews wins. One bright spot
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

303cowboy wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:35 pm Andrews wins. One bright spot
Awesome for Andrews! He could be an AA if he keeps it going. Bridges is in the toughest weight class in the country and I find it unlikely that he finishes in the top 8 but I hope so.

I can’t say that any other Pokes should qualify. Hastings probably has the best shot for an at large because he has a relatively good index ranking. Buchanan needed to win one match today and lost 3 straight to wrestlers that he was seeded higher than. 3 chances is enough and hopefully it eats at him in the off-season. The rest of the team - well I hope this tournament eats at them too and they come back next year hungry. A disaster of a season in unfortunately with the defections and results.
303cowboy
Cowpoke

Hastings, Samuelson, and Buchanan selected at large for the NCAAs

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/F ... -announced
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

A pleasant surprise. Hope they don't squander this opportunity
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

303cowboy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:22 pm Hastings, Samuelson, and Buchanan selected at large for the NCAAs

This is shocking and let’s hope they take advantage of the opportunity!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:44 pm
303cowboy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:22 pm Hastings, Samuelson, and Buchanan selected at large for the NCAAs

This is shocking and let’s hope they take advantage of the opportunity!
Yeah, they threw us a major bone