Who is our next head coach

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

I know it is early, but there is no way Burman can keep Edwards. So the question is, who is the next head coach (or better yet, who is crazy enough to take the job)? I think this guy could do well at Wyoming. He's not a DI coach, but he definitely can coach at the college level.

https://gobuffsgo.com/staff-directory/tom-brown/313
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Big Wonderful
Buckaroo

Looks like a good candidate. Proven division II track record. Prior to West Texas A&M he played and coached in Minnesota and Wisconsin so he can handle our cold winters. Wyoming could be a good div I opportunity for him. Probably find a spot in the athletics department for his wife too.
Its not too early and Burman needs to be building a list of potential candidates.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

Big Wonderful wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:10 am Looks like a good candidate. Proven division II track record. Prior to West Texas A&M he played and coached in Minnesota and Wisconsin so he can handle our cold winters. Wyoming could be a good div I opportunity for him. Probably find a spot in the athletics department for his wife too.
Its not too early and Burman needs to be building a list of potential candidates.
Agreed. I would already have a committee together to start a search. I'm pretty sure Edwards can read the writing on the wall. He seems to be mailing it in at this point as it is. I don't like to see anyone lose his job, but man, he is killing this program.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

RAT BOY!!!
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

CowboyNV wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:15 am I know it is early, but there is no way Burman can keep Edwards. So the question is, who is the next head coach (or better yet, who is crazy enough to take the job)? I think this guy could do well at Wyoming. He's not a DI coach, but he definitely can coach at the college level.

https://gobuffsgo.com/staff-directory/tom-brown/313
I actually came here to ask who might be the next coach too.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Wonder if there is a plan???? I cant wait to watch SDSU tomorrow
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

stymeman wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:14 am Wonder if there is a plan???? I cant wait to watch SDSU tomorrow
You are a glutton for punishment. I would say SDSU by 20 and they take their foot off the gas the 2nd half. They are ranked #7 in both polls, undefeated for the season, and Wyoming has absolutely no shot unless SDSU forfeits the game.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

UW needs help. Burman needs to really hit a HR with this next hire.

My vote (one of many): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Pasternack
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

We need Chris Jans from NMSU! He would resurrect our program and I think we could pay him a lot more than them.
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

https://uncbears.com/sports/mens-basket ... linder/568

I am ok with all of the suggestions but I thought I would throw this guys name in as well. He has done well at NC and when he was at Boise they had pretty good teams. He is from Colorado so he would be able to recruit locally but has a pretty good reputation for finding diamond in the rough type of recruits from other areas as well from what I can read about him.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:24 am We need Chris Jans from NMSU! He would resurrect our program and I think we could pay him a lot more than them.
He would probably like the Buck...

" However, on March 21—shortly after losing to Canisius in the 2nd round of the 2015 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament, a drunken Jans was seen engaging in lewd and inappropriate behavior toward women at a bar near campus. A Bowling Green alumnus recorded Jans on his cell phone, and was so outraged by what he saw that he reported the incident to school officials. Following an internal investigation, Bowling Green fired Jans for violating a morals clause in his contract."
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

CowboyNV wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:24 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:24 am We need Chris Jans from NMSU! He would resurrect our program and I think we could pay him a lot more than them.
He would probably like the Buck...

" However, on March 21—shortly after losing to Canisius in the 2nd round of the 2015 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament, a drunken Jans was seen engaging in lewd and inappropriate behavior toward women at a bar near campus. A Bowling Green alumnus recorded Jans on his cell phone, and was so outraged by what he saw that he reported the incident to school officials. Following an internal investigation, Bowling Green fired Jans for violating a morals clause in his contract."
I was not aware of that. That sucks. Maybe he's a changed man.
Cinderella Man
Buckaroo

----Tim Miles. Great personality and very familiar with the conference. Very successful at CSU and did a good job at Nebraska, .500, that has never really been a basketball town.
Big Wonderful
Buckaroo

Miles would be a great get. He still lives in Lincoln and I believe just doing TV for the Big Ten network. Don't know what his interest level would be in Laramie. Get him on the phone Burman...
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Marvin Menzies is a guy I liked before he went to UNLV. I think part of his struggles at UNLV were due to getting overrated kids that were bigger than the program. He didn't have to deal with that at NMSU and wouldn't at UW. His high pressure defense from NMSU would be nice to see at 7220.
Big Wonderful
Buckaroo

Menzies is another interesting one. I'm sure he'd be interested in another head coaching spot. Well connected on the recruiting trail and left a good record at NMSU. Several tournament appearances.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Big Wonderful wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:02 pm Menzies is another interesting one. I'm sure he'd be interested in another head coaching spot. Well connected on the recruiting trail and left a good record at NMSU. Several tournament appearances.
Menzies moves the needle for me more than Miles. I respect both but think Coach Menzies would be a slam dunk hire. Which means Burman isn't even thinking about him.
Big Wonderful
Buckaroo

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:20 am
Big Wonderful wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:02 pm Menzies is another interesting one. I'm sure he'd be interested in another head coaching spot. Well connected on the recruiting trail and left a good record at NMSU. Several tournament appearances.
Menzies moves the needle for me more than Miles. I respect both but think Coach Menzies would be a slam dunk hire. Which means Burman isn't even thinking about him.
Yeah he's probably not on the radar. I would just love to get someone in here committed to building an entire program and not just a team. A tough nosed program where the arena is full and where visiting teams are intimidated. Similar to what Bohl is doing to our football program. Someone like Menzies might fit that bill. Experienced, content where he is at, and not apt to bolt after three years should someone wave a bigger paycheck at him. Someone willing to put the legwork in on recruiting. Laramie won't attract many 4 or 5 star kids, but 3-star kids w/ a attitude and coachable can make a formidable opponent.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Menzies or Miles would be a win in my book. I always respected Miles teams when he coached the sheep, and think that style of basketball would do well in Laramie. Menzies hard nosed defense and ability to recruit and more importantly sustain at NMSU is also really appealing.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

rich22 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:15 pm https://uncbears.com/sports/mens-basket ... linder/568

I am ok with all of the suggestions but I thought I would throw this guys name in as well. He has done well at NC and when he was at Boise they had pretty good teams. He is from Colorado so he would be able to recruit locally but has a pretty good reputation for finding diamond in the rough type of recruits from other areas as well from what I can read about him.
Agree with Linder as a candidate. I would be very surprised if he isn't strongly considered for the position.

Checks all the boxes:

Local familiarity - raised in Colorado, went to school in Colorado and was an assistant at CU
Mountain West experience - top assistant at Boise before UNC
Success as a D1 head coach - halfway through his 4th year at UNC his record is 68-46