Ha ha.. oh man.. it’s been a while

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
bullpoke
Buckaroo

I remember coming here years ago and said Edwards has to go... right then.. I gave a million reasons and got beat up pretty bad... I did say eventually everyone will join me.. well I think we are there.... I didn’t even know we had a game tonight.. so sad... so my next question is now that this nightmare is almost over who do you all want as our next coach?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I have no idea except a proven coach that has a few years under his belt, is a leader and truly teaches the gane of basketball in all aspects
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

It's kind of funny how some of us could see the writing on the wall... That thread was funny to see how many people were defending Edwards. It's like a few of us saw that he has zero coaching ability and was relying on the talent of that team which he severely underachieved with. From that thread:
seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:18 pm
DVDA wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:59 pm
poke_addict wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:56 pm It's definitely a dumb thread started in a heated moment. It's safe to say Edwards job security is very safe. He is still experimenting after years of being an assistant. He's got the team bought in and they fight harder than a lot of us are willing to admit. I like coach Edwards a lot always have. It would be devastating mistake to even consider he's in the hot seat. Edwards has my full support and I'm excited for the future of Cowboy basketball.
I agree it would be a colossal mistake to fire him this early into his tenure with a winning record. Attracting a good candidate for the opening would be impossible.

The team certainly believes in Edwards and have bought in. That's definitely important to being a coach. His teams don't show up ready to play far too often. The lack of focus and preparation is concerning.

I'm not excited for the future of Cowboys basketball unless Edwards gets hired somewhere else. He's being bailed out by James, Dalton, Herndon, and a weak conference this year. This team plays an open gym style of offense with spotty defense. The team has no real identity and the questionable rotations speak for themselves. He and his staff are about as far from the "X's and O's" type that you can get. He'll need to recruit at an extremely high level to sustain success. I'm excited about Maldonado and Mack, but the front court is going to fall off dramatically next year which will put Edwards abilities on display. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't ever see this team rising above mediocrity with Edwards leading the way.
I agree with you. I don't really think the creator of this thread is that stupid. I can see how some will think it was in the heat of the moment and it probably was but the reality is Edwards x and o's are horrible. He is not a good basketball coach from that stand point. He can recruit but this team is actually under achieving with the talent they have on it.

The fact they have lost not just one game but 4 games this year to teams they should have no business losing to and should have beaten proves it. Should have at least went 3 -1 on those games. (UNC, Denver, New Mexico, CSU ) Like I said earlier in the year Edwards teams will always be really inconsistent because he can't coach x's and o's and he will have to be able to recruit at a high level just to be competitive. Without the recruiting his teams would finish at the bottom of the conference. This team this year will probably finish middle of the pack. I can say for sure right now this team will not finish in 3rd place by the end of the conference season. Think most likely 5th or 6th. Edwards will always have teams that are around .500 in conference play and win some games you don't think they will win and lose a few games they have no business losing because of his style of play and his coaching which is just like the team plays , inconsistent.

The bad part is we have to watch this play out for another 2 or 3 years before it gets put to bed and they can go find another coach. I don't see Edwards ever getting this team to where it needs to be unless they figure the x and o thing out and start learning how to actually play defense. I can't stand watching teams that play the way Edwards coaches. I am more in the disciplined , defensive mind set.

Don't get me wrong I hope we keep winning but I just don't see it happening with the way they are coached to be able to do it consistently. Think it is a huge long shot of that happening.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

bullpoke wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:21 pm I remember coming here years ago and said Edwards has to go... right then.. I gave a million reasons and got beat up pretty bad... I did say eventually everyone will join me.. well I think we are there.... I didn’t even know we had a game tonight.. so sad... so my next question is now that this nightmare is almost over who do you all want as our next coach?
I don’t know if it’s doable but I think Tim Miles could rebuild the program.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:36 pm
bullpoke wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:21 pm I remember coming here years ago and said Edwards has to go... right then.. I gave a million reasons and got beat up pretty bad... I did say eventually everyone will join me.. well I think we are there.... I didn’t even know we had a game tonight.. so sad... so my next question is now that this nightmare is almost over who do you all want as our next coach?

No offense but Tim Miles sucks as a coach. Not sure where everyone around here is getting that he is good. He got fired from Nebraska for sucking and he really didn’t do much at CSU. I’m not sure why Nebraska hired him in the first place. Go look at his records. They aren’t great. Wyoming can get an up and comer and give them a chance. I would rather see that than Tim Miles when I already know what Wyoming will get. Which is more mediocrity. Guess if that is what people want in the basketball program then so be it. He is better than Edwards but that isn’t saying anything.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:15 am

No offense but Tim Miles sucks as a coach. Not sure where everyone around here is getting that he is good. He got fired from Nebraska for sucking and he really didn’t do much at CSU. I’m not sure why Nebraska hired him in the first place. Go look at his records. They aren’t great. Wyoming can get an up and comer and give them a chance. I would rather see that than Tim Miles when I already know what Wyoming will get. Which is more mediocrity. Guess if that is what people want in the basketball program then so be it. He is better than Edwards but that isn’t saying anything.
Tim Mikes took a dumpster fire over and built the CSU team that made back to back tourneys including a second round appearance. Larry Eustacy coached the second team, but it was all Tim Miles guys. He knows the region and he can recruit and he can instill some discipline back. If back to back tourney appearances is mediocre in your eyes then you are following the wrong basketball program.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:41 am

Tim Mikes took a dumpster fire over and built the CSU team that made back to back tourneys including a second round appearance. Larry Eustacy coached the second team, but it was all Tim Miles guys. He knows the region and he can recruit and he can instill some discipline back. If back to back tourney appearances is mediocre in your eyes then you are following the wrong basketball program.
Not only that, but I believe that one of those teams he took to the Dance only had 6 scholarship players and didn't have anyone taller than about 6'6" or 6'8". As someone who is also a Nebraska fan (legit because of grad school) I was happy to see Nebraska hire him away from CSU. Nebraska hired him because he was in the middle of a run of NCAA teams.

Like Pokes fan 24-7 said, if multiple NCAA tourney invites is mediocrity worthy of rejection, then I don't think the original poster is following the right team or is not doing so reasonably.

Look at how long Duke waited for an NCAA tournament championship with Coach K and look how long Nebraska waited for Coach Osborne to win a national championship. Are we arguing that Wyoming should fire people for similar performances (Multiple Dance invites that end in losses or multiple lost bowl games)?
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Sorry but Tim Miles isn’t good. He didn’t take them to two tourneys. Like you said he took them to one. His best record at CSU was 20-12. Larry Eustachy did coach his guys that were left over but Eustachy is a better coach than Tim Miles.

You know who also got a record around 20-12 ? Edwards (20-13) at Wyoming. If Tim Miles was so good he would have done more at Nebraska. He isn’t a good coach.

This debate is pointless anyways because Wyoming isn’t hiring Tim Miles.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

WyoExpat wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:51 am

Not only that, but I believe that one of those teams he took to the Dance only had 6 scholarship players and didn't have anyone taller than about 6'6" or 6'8". As someone who is also a Nebraska fan (legit because of grad school) I was happy to see Nebraska hire him away from CSU. Nebraska hired him because he was in the middle of a run of NCAA teams.

Like Pokes fan 24-7 said, if multiple NCAA tourney invites is mediocrity worthy of rejection, then I don't think the original poster is following the right team or is not doing so reasonably.

Look at how long Duke waited for an NCAA tournament championship with Coach K and look how long Nebraska waited for Coach Osborne to win a national championship. Are we arguing that Wyoming should fire people for similar performances (Multiple Dance invites that end in losses or multiple lost bowl games)?
Again as posted above he didn’t have multiple Dance invites. He had one invite. He wasn’t coaching the team the next year. His best record at CSU was 20-12. Lots of coaches can do that.

Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:51 pm

Sorry but Tim Miles isn’t good. He didn’t take them to two tourneys. Like you said he took them to one. His best record at CSU was 20-12. Larry Eustachy did coach his guys that were left over but Eustachy is a better coach than Tim Miles.

You know who also got a record around 20-12 ? Edwards (20-13) at Wyoming. If Tim Miles was so good he would have done more at Nebraska. He isn’t a good coach.

This debate is pointless anyways because Wyoming isn’t hiring Tim Miles.
I disagree But it’s probably true that it’s a moot point. Who is an example of an up and coming coach that you want to see?
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:45 pm I disagree But it’s probably true that it’s a moot point. Who is an example of an up and coming coach that you want to see?
Man...at this point I'll just take change. Replacement level coaching would be a huuuuge improvement from what we have now.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:55 pm
WyoExpat wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:51 am

Again as posted above he didn’t have multiple Dance invites. He had one invite. He wasn’t coaching the team the next year. His best record at CSU was 20-12. Lots of coaches can do that.
I'm sorry. My bad on the number of Dance invitations. 20-12 gets lots of teams into the Dance too, if it is the right schedule. To be clear, I define any year that ends in the NCAA Tournament a success--no matter what record we have when we get in. I also do not accept the argument that a coach who gets a Mountain West team into the Dance "sucks" because he only won 20 games.

Also, to be fair, has Nebraska ever won an NCAA Tournament game in the history of the school? If so, I assume it is only one or two. I am a Nebraska fan, but that is a school that has an awful history of men's basketball futility.

I'm not saying Miles is the answer, but it not accurate to say he "sucks".
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

I vote for our next coach to be the guys who called it years ago and saw it all from the very beginning.

Step up and use your expertise!