Drop Edwards now

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Look at the conference schedule and find me more than 2-3 wins. This is certainly the worst Wyoming basketball team I've seen in my lifetime and every game we allow this to go on is more damage to the program for years to come. Seriously we had a winnable game to open the conference season at home and there were maybe 30 students there and empty seats in the first row.

A reminder that in Edwards' 2nd year he had Shyatt's recruits:

Justin James - First team all-conference, future NBA draft pick
Hayden Dalton - First team all-conference
Alan Herndon - All-conference honorable mention, defensive player of the year
Lou Adams - 6th man of the year

Sound like a top 4 team in a down Mountain West to you? Try 6th, with an 8-10 MW record. After this crew was gone the writing was on the wall and here we are. Our university has a rich basketball history and it is sad to see what has become of this program. Burman needs to make a move before the end of 2019 and put together a NATIONAL coaching search. No more of this.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

In this article from April of 2019, Burman claims that the team needed to show marked improvement over 2018 or else. Well, I'm no Nostradamus, but I can tell Burman it isn't going to be a better season in 2019. Not sure what he's waiting for, but the damage is being done and it will take a long time to repair it.

From the article:

"To be quite honest, it would be hard for us not to be better next year (2019) with healthier bodies. That would be almost impossible for us to not be better." -- Edwards.

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... 9d1f1.html
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:52 am Look at the conference schedule and find me more than 2-3 wins. This is certainly the worst Wyoming basketball team I've seen in my lifetime and every game we allow this to go on is more damage to the program for years to come. Seriously we had a winnable game to open the conference season at home and there were maybe 30 students there and empty seats in the first row.

Sound like a top 4 team in a down Mountain West to you? Try 6th, with an 8-10 MW record. After this crew was gone the writing was on the wall and here we are. Our university has a rich basketball history and it is sad to see what has become of this program. Burman needs to make a move before the end of 2019 and put together a NATIONAL coaching search. No more of this.
Burman should have pulled the trigger last year. In 3 years, Edwards has coached us into one of the play in games in the MWC tournament every year. Only 1 win, versus an awful San Jose st. team. The recruiting by Edwards and his staff has been disastrous. You could argue that we have only 1 starter who would see significant playing time on any other team in the conference.
This situation reminds me of the Joby Wright era. He knew he wasn't coming back and his last season was just going through the motions. I will say this for Joby Wright - he recruited one of the best all time Cowboy players, Theo Ratliff.
And for the umpteenth time, why spend millions renovating the AA and then settle for this crappy coaching staff?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:52 am Look at the conference schedule and find me more than 2-3 wins. This is certainly the worst Wyoming basketball team I've seen in my lifetime and every game we allow this to go on is more damage to the program for years to come. Seriously we had a winnable game to open the conference season at home and there were maybe 30 students there and empty seats in the first row.

I knew Edwards wasn't gong to get us where we wanted to go after finishing so poorly with a good roster
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Pretty much zero advantage at letting Edwards go now. Might as well let him finish this one out before pulling the trigger. IMO, firing anytime before at least February is unnecessary.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

What is there to gain from cutting ties this early in the season? Stymeman gets his wet dream of seeing how bad of a coach little Shyatt is. Other than that, it only hurts the university when they're trying to persuade any decent coach to take over the poop show that is UW basketball. They should have cut ties last year. Now they have to weather this poop storm and follow etiquette.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

DVDA wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:05 pm What is there to gain from cutting ties this early in the season? Stymeman gets his wet dream of seeing how bad of a coach little Shyatt is. Other than that, it only hurts the university when they're trying to persuade any decent coach to take over the poop show that is UW basketball. They should have cut ties last year. Now they have to weather this poop storm and follow etiquette.
I actually feel the opposite. With all due respect to our players who are still playing hard to this point, the product on the floor is doing nothing but hurting the University. As others have said Burman had already declared that he needed to see improvement this season and it is already clear that this will not happen. Burman making the move early would be a recognition that he personally screwed up this hire and that a persistent losing culture is unacceptable in his department. Burman must fall on the sword and set that example.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:22 pm
DVDA wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:05 pm What is there to gain from cutting ties this early in the season? Stymeman gets his wet dream of seeing how bad of a coach little Shyatt is. Other than that, it only hurts the university when they're trying to persuade any decent coach to take over the poop show that is UW basketball. They should have cut ties last year. Now they have to weather this poop storm and follow etiquette.
I actually feel the opposite. With all due respect to our players who are still playing hard to this point, the product on the floor is doing nothing but hurting the University. As others have said Burman had already declared that he needed to see improvement this season and it is already clear that this will not happen. Burman making the move early would be a recognition that he personally screwed up this hire and that a persistent losing culture is unacceptable in his department. Burman must fall on the sword and set that example.
So we should show any future coach that they'll get the boot after two conference games and not be allowed to finish the season? That is a great way to be looking at the bottom of the barrel for candidates. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be stuck with Jeremy Shyatt for a couple years after no one wants the job.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

DVDA wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:47 pm
DVDA wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:05 pm What is there to gain from cutting ties this early in the season? Stymeman gets his wet dream of seeing hoiw bad of a coach little Shyatt is. Other than that, it only hurts the university when they're trying to persuade any decent coach to take over the poop show that is UW basketball. They should have cut ties last year. Now they have to weather this poop storm and follow etiquette.
So we should show any future coach that they'll get the boot after two conference games and not be allowed to finish the season? That is a great way to be looking at the bottom of the barrel for candidates. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be stuck with Jeremy Shyatt for a couple years after no one wants the job.
So if we do go with Shyatt Jr that would be worse than this? I know Burman is giving AE his due for winning the CBI , but after watching that New Mexico poop, im thinking its time for Burman to be getting the papers ready, bidding AE adieu. Not sure whom the interim would be, but maybe it'll spark something and salvage a few wins cuz we might get 2 or so non conference wins upcoming, but conference is gonna be Brutal, and its sad to see. Where did we sink to such depths?
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

That future coach should know that if he has consistently failed to meet expectations, driven the fanbase away and put our team in the basement of a mediocre conference, then yes will get the boot.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Look, head coaches get let go mid-season. It happens. It's uncommon, but every season there's always a few shown the door before the end of the season. The over-arching reason is that usually, in most instances, the head coach has stopped any real attempt at performance of their duties. They're "phoning it in". Athletic Directors really can't tolerate such a circumstance, so they terminate, basically "mid shift" in order to eliminate the intolerable circumstance as well as to send the message that such lack of performance will not be tolerated at ANY level. Basically, the lack of results have created a negative focus on the coach, then, a lack of pay-grade performance triggers dismissal.

All that being said, now would not be an appropriate time for such a dismissal. The majority of such dismissals usually take place shortly after the second half or third of the conference schedule. I firmly believe, when that time comes, unless the team is above .500 in conference play, there is every possibility that Edwards is relieved of duties.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I desperately wanted everyone to be wrong about Edwards. It’s too bad.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:44 pm I desperately wanted everyone to be wrong about Edwards. It’s too bad.
I agree, at first he looked like a good recruiter who just needed a few years experience as a HC. It’s clear now he is not a good recruiter and has shown almost no improvement as a HC. I don’t think they should can him yet, it’s too early and not going to help the coach search. They will probably wait until we don’t win a single game in January then let him go early Feb.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

I wish I could tell you that I "knew" he would be this bad when they announced his hiring...I don't think anybody "knew". Most of us were pretty sure after last season and now he's removing all doubt.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Question for the ages? Who is our most disappointing hire at Head Coach:
Heath Schroyer or Allen Edwards???
Let the debate roll:
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

stymeman wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:58 pm Question for the ages? Who is our most disappointing hire at Head Coach:
Heath Schroyer or Allen Edwards???
Let the debate roll:
Schroyer didn't have any good seasons. Edwards had two semi competitive season. I would say Schroyer
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

Both of these guys were hired by Burman. Maybe we need to send him packing and let a new AD hire the next coach.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

We all know neither are going anywhere unfortunately
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

CowboyNV wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:58 am Both of these guys were hired by Burman. Maybe we need to send him packing and let a new AD hire the next coach.
Why are we worried about Edwards and Bohl? This is the answer.
52-56
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

ESPN's match-up predictor is giving a Northern Colorado team that hasn't won a road game yet this season, an 82% chance of winning in Laramie on Saturday.

If this isn't rock bottom, I don't know what is.