Drop Edwards now

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

cowpoke pride wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:28 pm ESPN's match-up predictor is giving a Northern Colorado team that hasn't won a road game yet this season, an 82% chance of winning in Laramie on Saturday.

If this isn't rock bottom, I don't know what is.
Our next opponents are Northern Colorado with an RPI of 175, Utah Valley with an RPI of 309, and Denver with an RPI of 278, and the Pokes have a stellar rating of 299. I don't think Wyoming comes out of the next 4 games with more than one win, and I even think they could lose to Nebraska Wesleyan University. This program will finish the year as the worst in the history of Wyoming men's basketball. And Burman will watch this program burn to the ground and not do a damned thing about it, and he's responsible for creating it.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

cowpoke pride wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:28 pm ESPN's match-up predictor is giving a Northern Colorado team that hasn't won a road game yet this season, an 82% chance of winning in Laramie on Saturday.

Reminder we needed a buzzer beater by Trace Young (gone but never forgotten) to beat Dixie State at home last season.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Trace Young, i forgot about him, wonder if we'd be better off with him??? Gotta get 3 outta next 4 at least for any pulse of this team going into full conference mode
wyo 1
Ranch Hand

Possibly the next hoops coach on the sidelines tonight?

I want Tim Miles or Chris Jans but don’t think TB could pull it off.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I was impressed by Tim Miles at CSU and was happy when Nebraska got him. I was sorry he couldn't stick at Nebraska.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

I remember going to games in the War Memorial Field House and there wasn't an empty seat in the house. It only held about 5,000 people but it was always sold out. Then the University built the AA and I remember attending games when there were 14,000 to 15,000 fans in the seats. Now, looking at these crowds in the "new" AA, they are lucky if there are 1,000 people in the stands. This program is at an all time low and it really is sad to see.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

CowboyNV wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:24 pm I remember going to games in the War Memorial Field House and there wasn't an empty seat in the house. It only held about 5,000 people but it was always sold out. Then the University built the AA and I remember attending games when there were 14,000 to 15,000 fans in the seats. Now, looking at these crowds in the "new" AA, they are lucky if there are 1,000 people in the stands. This program is at an all time low and it really is sad to see.
When they opened the AA, we had Brandenberg's best team with Bill Garnett and Mike Jackson. Perhaps the 87 team accomplished more, but it's arguable. Those teams were incredibly fun to watch and a source of pride for the entire state. What we have now is so bad that the apathy it's created may be impossible to overcome for any future coach. It's clear the AD and the adm. behind him really don't give a crap.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

WyoExpat wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:42 am I was impressed by Tim Miles at CSU and was happy when Nebraska got him. I was sorry he couldn't stick at Nebraska.

Please God, no. We don't need a mediocre coach in his 50's. He was ok at csewe, nothing special. And he did nothing at Nebraska. We need a young guy, maybe a JC coach or a guy who has had success at a small school. The rehabilitation needed for this program requires someone with endless energy and a vision for what's necessary to make us competitive again. We don't need some retread whose near the end of the line.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

University of Vermont coach John Becker. I live in VT. Can’t stand UVM, but he sure does have a great way of recruiting average talent and turning them into a great team. Give him better facilities, more pay and better access to talent and he could turn UW around. If time. UVM has consistently been top 75-80 RPI last 5 years
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

I'll admit that I haven't followed the men's bball team closely over the last few years, mostly because of the poor product on the floow, and I don't disagree that Edwards needs to go.

My question is this, if Edwards is fired now or next month, we're obviously in an interim situation. Is Jeremy Shyatt the new face of the program? And is the interim his audition for HC?
bladerunnr wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:39 pm We need a young guy, maybe a JC coach or a guy who has had success at a small school. The rehabilitation needed for this program requires someone with endless energy and a vision for what's necessary to make us competitive again
Doesn't he fit these criteria? And if he is able to replicate his dad's relative success in turning a program around, would we be happy with that? I don't know that I know enough to have an educated opinion, but it seems that has been the plan all along. Really curious what you all think.

GO POKES!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

wellpoke wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:35 am I'll admit that I haven't followed the men's bball team closely over the last few years, mostly because of the poor product on the floow, and I don't disagree that Edwards needs to go.

My question is this, if Edwards is fired now or next month, we're obviously in an interim situation. Is Jeremy Shyatt the new face of the program? And is the interim his audition for HC?
bladerunnr wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:39 pm We need a young guy, maybe a JC coach or a guy who has had success at a small school. The rehabilitation needed for this program requires someone with endless energy and a vision for what's necessary to make us competitive again
Doesn't he fit these criteria? And if he is able to replicate his dad's relative success in turning a program around, would we be happy with that? I don't know that I know enough to have an educated opinion, but it seems that has been the plan all along. Really curious what you all think.

GO POKES!
Program is at a real low point right now. If I was certain that a move to JS would track like his old man's tenure (program stabilization followed by competing in the upper echelon of the conference). I would take that deal in a heartbeat. At this point any change has to be better ... right?
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

Read Edwards response to an article written on how Wyoming is the worst offensive rebounding team in modern history: https://www.wyosports.net/wyosports/his ... 02145.html

He's at the "put out excuses to the media" stage. He knows he's finished.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Please stop with Jeremy Shyatt. This program desperately, desperately needs a proven head coach.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:25 pm Please stop with Jeremy Shyatt. This program desperately, desperately needs a proven head coach.
Agreed. No thank you. Bring in someone new who has a record of success
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:25 pm Please stop with Jeremy Shyatt. This program desperately, desperately needs a proven head coach.
Just for the record, I'm not advocating. Truly curious what the legitimate thoughts are about him, as I feel like that's what's been set up for a while.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:24 pm Read Edwards response to an article written on how Wyoming is the worst offensive rebounding team in modern history: https://www.wyosports.net/wyosports/his ... 02145.html

LOTS of coaches (college and pro) believe transition defense trumps ORB, especially if you don't have an elite rebounder on the team.

Plenty of other reasons to point to for a need to change things up, I don't consider this one of them.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 42 times

Does Jim Boeheim want a new challenge, we know it'll come from our bench and Shaun Vandiver will get the nod
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:17 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:24 pm Read Edwards response to an article written on how Wyoming is the worst offensive rebounding team in modern history: https://www.wyosports.net/wyosports/his ... 02145.html

LOTS of coaches (college and pro) believe transition defense trumps ORB, especially if you don't have an elite rebounder on the team.

Plenty of other reasons to point to for a need to change things up, I don't consider this one of them.
Here's the thing: you're buying into Edwards idea that rebounding is about "skill" and we don't have the guys with the "skill" to do it. Rebounding is about effort, and we don't get any because we don't put in the effort. You can buy his other argument about that being a "strategy" for playing better defense, but based on what I have seen that is a losing strategy for this team.

My issue is that he has every excuse in the book. In that article he blames our historically bad rebounding numbers (which go back years also) on not having Tyler Morman, who has never once played a game in a Wyoming uniform. Whether it is a strategy problem or a personnel problem, it falls on Edwards, and yet there is no accountability.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

wellpoke wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:48 pm
Just for the record, I'm not advocating. Truly curious what the legitimate thoughts are about him, as I feel like that's what's been set up for a while.
He is another screamer. Time for him to go elsewhere and learn the ropes from a decent leader. Decent pedigree, but that is all.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Similar point to this. I personally am a huge fan of 2nd chance points from backsode rebounding. But I totally get and respect the logic that offensive rebounding has a disproportionate probability of yielding foul trouble too.