It's not getting better

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

This is just a really bad college basketball team... The number one problem... And it's not close.. Is Edwards. He has squandered the institutional consistency that Shyatt had brought back to the program. Shyatt got the program out of the post-Heath dumpster fire and Wyoming needed a hire after Shyatt to take the next step. The Edwards tenure will go down as a collosal whiff.

Now let's address talent... Nobody is mistaking this team as "talented". The talent is not "there". They all seem like they have decent attitudes but they are role players.... At best. Even if we had the most brilliant coach this is a low ceiling group. I'm not "hating" on these kids... I'll root for anybody that wears the brown and gold. I'm just beside myself that the Edwards era is still ongoing.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Agree. Edwards should have been let go after last year if not the year before. He is terrible. He can’t coach and apparently can’t recruit either.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Lots of standing around no fundamental basketball moves to score the ball, glad we have Maldo, but thats all i see worth anything (at least tonite)
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Lots of standing around no fundamental basketball moves to score the ball, glad we have Maldo, but thats all i see worth anything (at least tonite), as for AE less yelling at players this year so far, no true motivation tho, Jeremy is a true spark plug tho
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Maybe a bit premature? Let's at least see one full game at least?
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:23 pm Maybe a bit premature? Let's at least see one full game at least?
If you can't see this team is totally devoid of talent (except Maldanoado), I don't know what to tell you. I think 10th in the conference is the ceiling. This is the worst Wyoming team I've ever seen - both in terms of talent and coaching.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

This team stands around watching the guy with the ball way too much. These guys aren't being taught how to play when they don't have the ball in their hands. They have no concept of floor spacing. No one actually gets in the corner, they don't use the short corner, and guys stand halfway between the top of the key and the wing constantly. On top of that they stand around watching the ball and end up moving a second too late on nearly every possession. The best Edwards has done to teach these guys is to throw his hands in the air and turn around to his coaches on the bench like that will magically fix his failures as a coach.

Repeatedly against Idaho State I saw guys getting a screen and running to a point on the court with the ball handler deciding to attack that point on the court at the exact same time. I'm not a basketball expert, but I would expect floor spacing mistakes like that from mediocre and bad high school teams. Basic concepts like this is why so many of us want Edwards gone. He's not capable of teaching these kids how to play basketball on either end of the floor. His idea of up-tempo basketball is great if you can coach, but Edwards hasn't taught these kids a damn thing.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

Another year of the "4 watch 1" offense!!! Can't wait!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Admittedly, I did not watch this game.

But...Wyoming WON over a DIVISION 1 opponent...an opponent that won more games last year than Wyoming.
CSPokeFan
Buckaroo

I think 307bball hit it right on the head. This team is made up of role players. Other than Maldonado, no real scoring threats. Hendricks may get hot in some games, but we need at least two or three consistent scorers to complement Maldonado. Also, absolutely no strong rebounders. Thompson is soft and you can tell he doesn’t want to bang inside for rebounds. Mueller a starter? Other than San Jose State, I don’t see him getting playing time at any other MWC school. He plays hard, I give him that, but not a D1 starter for sure. If we really overachieve, we may be able to stay around .500. Hope so!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Didn't see the game. I will trust that it was as ugly as described.

51% from the field with the described offense seems odd. What would we have shot with actual movement?

No one has discussed the defense. I know ISU is a bad team, but 40 points on 32% shooting seems like a solid defensive effort.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

We are small and careless with the basketball and have no noticeable game plan or identity. We just roll the ball out there and hope to make enough jump shots to win. Same as ever.

Side note.. I don't know if I have ever seen a coach scream in his players faces like Edwards. Seriously happens every game. Maybe coach the kid up instead of berating him in front of the entire team/crowd.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

CSPokeFan wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:29 pm I think 307bball hit it right on the head. This team is made up of role players. Other than Maldonado, no real scoring threats. Hendricks may get hot in some games, but we need at least two or three consistent scorers to complement Maldonado. Also, absolutely no strong rebounders. Thompson is soft and you can tell he doesn’t want to bang inside for rebounds. Mueller a starter? Other than San Jose State, I don’t see him getting playing time at any other MWC school. He plays hard, I give him that, but not a D1 starter for sure. If we really overachieve, we may be able to stay around .500. Hope so!
I'm sure Austin Mueller is a nice kid and he seems to play hard. Good to see him on the court after being hurt. But he does not belong on the floor for 30 minutes a game for a MWC team.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:33 am
CSPokeFan wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:29 pm I think 307bball hit it right on the head. This team is made up of role players. Other than Maldonado, no real scoring threats. Hendricks may get hot in some games, but we need at least two or three consistent scorers to complement Maldonado. Also, absolutely no strong rebounders. Thompson is soft and you can tell he doesn’t want to bang inside for rebounds. Mueller a starter? Other than San Jose State, I don’t see him getting playing time at any other MWC school. He plays hard, I give him that, but not a D1 starter for sure. If we really overachieve, we may be able to stay around .500. Hope so!
I'm sure Austin Mueller is a nice kid and he seems to play hard. Good to see him on the court after being hurt. But he does not belong on the floor for 30 minutes a game for a MWC team.
I agree with this. I am not in the sky is falling camp that everyone else seems to be yet but I do agree that Mueller shouldn't be a starting forward in the MWC. I actually like him as a player but he should be coming off the bench giving us spot minutes and hard play. He will be overmatched down low. We need a big physical body down there. MAybe that kid that was held out with a concussions(Morman?) will pan out down there if not I'm not sure what we have to pair with Thompson down low since I don't think he can be the main big guy rebounder/enforcer.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:44 am
I agree with this. I am not in the sky is falling camp that everyone else seems to be yet but I do agree that Mueller shouldn't be a starting forward in the MWC. I actually like him as a player but he should be coming off the bench giving us spot minutes and hard play. He will be overmatched down low. We need a big physical body down there. MAybe that kid that was held out with a concussions(Morman?) will pan out down there if not I'm not sure what we have to pair with Thompson down low since I don't think he can be the main big guy rebounder/enforcer.
I really don't think that the folks on here are in a "sky is falling" mood. Most of the sentiment I've seen expressed over the last two years has started from "wait and see", and transitioned into "this is ugly and it's not getting better" (hence the thread subject). If I had expected great things from last year then I would have more of the "sky is falling" approach. I think a lot of us expected to be really bad this year are unhappy to be right (so far). I'm more than willing to leave the door open to an amazing reversal of fortunes, but I just am not seeing evidence that is going to happen. The athletic department could have sent a signal that they won't tolerate 4 conference wins in year three by firing him. I wish they would have but I understand why they didn't. If I put my prognostication hat on ... I'm guessing we are a good coach and three years away from being in the upper quartile of the MWC, and that three years starts when Edwards gets the axe.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:40 am
TSpoke wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:44 am
I really don't think that the folks on here are in a "sky is falling" mood. Most of the sentiment I've seen expressed over the last two years has started from "wait and see", and transitioned into "this is ugly and it's not getting better" (hence the thread subject). If I had expected great things from last year then I would have more of the "sky is falling" approach. I think a lot of us expected to be really bad this year are unhappy to be right (so far). I'm more than willing to leave the door open to an amazing reversal of fortunes, but I just am not seeing evidence that is going to happen. The athletic department could have sent a signal that they won't tolerate 4 conference wins in year three by firing him. I wish they would have but I understand why they didn't. If I put my prognostication hat on ... I'm guessing we are a good coach and three years away from being in the upper quartile of the MWC, and that three years starts when Edwards gets the axe.
I understand how most people think here. I guess I should have said " I'm not a member of the sky has already fallen crowd"
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

4 Assists on the night....by the entire team. FOUR.
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

I just noticed that Tim Miles was fired from Nebraska last year. I think that could be a good get for us, what do you guys think?
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Oof...aaaaand I'm not surprised... This team is really bad.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Edwards is so gone.