Idaho St game thread

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

Exciting game being attended by tens of people.
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

We look pretty slow and out of position a lot. Hopefully we get better
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

21-18 lead at half. This team is going to be really bad.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Watching here tonite its truly not the most exciting game I've been to, Hunter Thompson started strong and nothing much since, hope its better scoring 2nd half
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

I might revise my win total projection downward. We will be lucky to win 5 games this year. I started going to games in the field house and dont ever remember a team this bad, even during the Schroyer years.
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

stymeman wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:51 pm Watching here tonite its truly not the most exciting game I've been to, Hunter Thompson started strong and nothing much since, hope its better scoring 2nd half
At least the concession lines won't be very long. :)
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

From what I can tell Maldonado is far and away the best player this year. And no, I did not go to the game, just watching
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Glad Maldo is on the team, ray of hope and our true spark plug
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

This has been hard to watch. No electricity tonight.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

So maybe it's good that I can't seem to wade thru all that Media 10 crap to get a video of the game. I guess some people figured it out. I hope all the games streamed aren't like that.
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

Adv8RU12 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:34 pm So maybe it's good that I can't seem to wade thru all that Media 10 crap to get a video of the game. I guess some people figured it out. I hope all the games streamed aren't like that.
I used themw.com to watch.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:34 pm So maybe it's good that I can't seem to wade thru all that Media 10 crap to get a video of the game. I guess some people figured it out. I hope all the games streamed aren't like that.
There's a link on the University of Wyo. website that connects directly to the mwc feed. It should work for anyone.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

It's a good thing Maldonado is a Cowboy. He feasted on a team with no talent and poor coaching. I don't see him doing that against most of the teams on the schedule. Hopefully he can prove me wrong and play like JJ has the past couple of years.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

There is a lot to be concerned with from last night's performance. One, and I sound like a broken record here, the Pokes were out rebounded in this one (I'm not sure ISU had anybody over 6'6" on the floor). They also had 12 turn overs, but only 4 assists. As has been stated by many, there is way too much standing around, no movement without the ball, plays (what few there are) are poorly executed. This is not a good basketball team. ISU is a bad basketball team. While the defensive effort is better, that alone is not going to win many games this year. When almost 60% of the scoring comes from one player, that is a sign of bad things ahead. Edwards and most of this staff should have been gone after last year's performance. I fear this year could be the proverbial fork in the men's basketball program. Get used to 500 people in attendance because that's about all you will find who will watch this in person.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I guess I must have watched a different game than everyone else. Was I blown away by it? No but I thought it was a step up from the exhibition. I thought we played with great defensive effort, we are finally playing good defense. We held a most probably really poor team to the lowest scoring output in the Edwards era. And most the points they scored came on a couple stretches where either they got hot or we let up intensity for a while. Offensively it wasn't pretty and thank god for Maldo. Like I have said for a while, I think Maldo can replace a lot of what we had with JJ. Which is why it hurt so much to lose him last year. With those 2 we could have won some games. I think in the second half we realized who had the hot hand while everyone else was struggling so they fed him. There will be games where Hendricks carries us and games where others step up. But definitely things to worry about on the offensive side of the ball.

Overall this game didn't answer any questions about this team. We will know more about how we can compete Sunday morning against South Carolina. Hopefully we can look like we belong out there. We beat them at home last year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

We won by 14. Can we at least wait until we lose to declare this team a failure? yeesh. Are we going to be conference champs? no. Are we going to be slightly better than last year? At this point I would say yes. Let's at least give them a chance. If (when) we lose a bunch of games then we can pile on
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:55 am We won by 14. Can we at least wait until we lose to declare this team a failure? yeesh. Are we going to be conference champs? no. Are we going to be slightly better than last year? At this point I would say yes. Let's at least give them a chance. If (when) we lose a bunch of games then we can pile on
Cowboys are way ahead of where I predicted them. I thought we would probably lose both the exhibition and this game. I like the idea of trying to win games with defense. Keep it close and we can hopefully pull a few out.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:55 am We won by 14. Can we at least wait until we lose to declare this team a failure? yeesh. Are we going to be conference champs? no. Are we going to be slightly better than last year? At this point I would say yes. Let's at least give them a chance. If (when) we lose a bunch of games then we can pile on
That was my thought as well. I was surprised when I logged on today to see the comments from the game. I wasn't expecting glowing reviews but to see the trashing after winning a game easier than even the 14 point victory suggested and with some pretty good defense(for once during the AE era), I was surprised. Of course after last se4ason we aren't going to be competeing for a championship this year but I am looking for growth wit hthe young squad. Lets see more than 1 game(that was even a bad game) before we write this team off.
GetRealMan
Ranch Hand

Still curious to see how Mormon, Foster, and Turner pan out. Their initial impact may be erratic but might provide some spark that changes the tempo and effectiveness of this offense.

I thought Thompson's early points from going inside on the give and go and pick and roll was a sign the coaches lit a fire under his ass to play underneath more, where he should be. But it wasn't to be, he stood around the perimeter the rest of the game waiting to shoot another worthless three and didn't score another point. How does Vandiver not coach that up?
Me, I'm spiritually retarded, I need to be knee deep in water with a fly rod in my hands, that's about as close to God as I get.
"Steve Earle"
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

TSpoke wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:49 am
That was my thought as well. I was surprised when I logged on today to see the comments from the game. I wasn't expecting glowing reviews but to see the trashing after winning a game easier than even the 14 point victory suggested and with some pretty good defense(for once during the AE era), I was surprised. Of course after last se4ason we aren't going to be competeing for a championship this year but I am looking for growth wit hthe young squad. Lets see more than 1 game(that was even a bad game) before we write this team off.
Your right...this thread is about the Idaho State game and people are rolling their disdain for Edwards program as a whole into it.

Here's the thing...There is no margin for error with Edwards at this point. He picks up this year right were the bad feelings of last year left off. I wanted him gone last year and beating nobody teams by any margin does not change that for me. The only thing that changes it for me is a top quarter finish in the MWC.