Mens Basketball win total for 2019-20

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

Is this the breakout year, or is this the year that the football team has more wins than the basketball team?
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Lots of unknowns on this team but I expect a pretty big bounce back. I have us at 15 or more wins.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

SALY (same as last year)
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:55 am SALY (same as last year)
Same staff and no JJ, I would say 8 wins would be a plus. These kids have talent, they simply need better coaching. I hope I'm wrong, but I have the same sick feeling in my gut as I did when Heath was coach.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

I don't want to express my pre-season win total prediction. I hope I am wrong.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

i think they get 12 wins. Slight improvement over last year but still a losing season. If they flash some potential AE probably gets an additional year since he will be on an expiring contract then and as long as the football team is winning nobody really gives a crap about basketball.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:12 pm i think they get 12 wins. Slight improvement over last year but still a losing season. If they flash some potential AE probably gets an additional year since he will be on an expiring contract then and as long as the football team is winning nobody really gives a crap about basketball.
I’d like to change my answer to 4.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

Tonight was ugly. Might be a long cold winter.
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

phxpoke wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:48 pm Tonight was ugly. Might be a long cold winter.
I was traveling and didnt get to watch. How bad was the game. Score?
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

nashvillepoke wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:40 pm
phxpoke wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:48 pm Tonight was ugly. Might be a long cold winter.
Wyoming won 62-56 over a D2 club they should have blown out by 30. Sloppy game, which is to be expected, but 20 TO's by Wyoming does not bode well for this season. If they face a team with athletic players they could have 30 or 40 TO's. It's a win, but man, they just look bad on offense. Defensive effort was better, but NNU shot a lot of uncontested 3's and just missed. Also, Hunter Thompson is one of the softest big men I've seen in a long time. Has poor footwork and fouls a lot because he is constantly out of position. Hendricks was a bright spot for the Pokes with 23 points on 7-9 shooting. Here's a link to the stats:
https://admin.gowyo.com/sidearmstats/mb ... ;team=home
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

CowboyNV wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:10 am
Wyoming won 62-56 over a D2 club they should have blown out by 30. Sloppy game, which is to be expected, but 20 TO's by Wyoming does not bode well for this season. If they face a team with athletic players they could have 30 or 40 TO's. It's a win, but man, they just look bad on offense. Defensive effort was better, but NNU shot a lot of uncontested 3's and just missed. Also, Hunter Thompson is one of the softest big men I've seen in a long time. Has poor footwork and fouls a lot because he is constantly out of position. Hendricks was a bright spot for the Pokes with 23 points on 7-9 shooting. Here's a link to the stats:
I was pleasantly surprised but I have really really low expectations (hope I am wrong). Northwest Nazarene won 20 games last year at the D2 level and I was worried they would come in and beat the Cowboys. Good thing Hendricks was hot for the Cowboys to get the win!
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:37 am
CowboyNV wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:10 am
I was pleasantly surprised but I have really really low expectations (hope I am wrong). Northwest Nazarene won 20 games last year at the D2 level and I was worried they would come in and beat the Cowboys. Good thing Hendricks was hot for the Cowboys to get the win!
I love your optimism, but after almost 60 years watching the Pokes, I'm a bit jaded at this stage of the game. These kids have talent, potential, and a willingness to win, but they lack the coaching necessary to move to the next level. Like you, I hope I'm wrong and Wyoming turns out to be a really good basketball team, but I didn't see enough flashes of that to make me believe it will happen. It's early, so time will tell. No matter what I'll still wear the brown and gold proudly, but I fear this is Heath 2.0.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:12 pm i think they get 12 wins. Slight improvement over last year but still a losing season. If they flash some potential AE probably gets an additional year since he will be on an expiring contract then and as long as the football team is winning nobody really gives a crap about basketball.
Disagree with your last sentence. I want to see the football team and basketball team do well but if I have to pick one I would rather see the basketball team do well. With that said the basketball coaching staff is horrible and this team will be lucky to get to 10 wins. This year is already completely wasted in my opinion bringing back Edwards as head coach.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
andersonj
Buckaroo

I saw some of the same problems others noted, but I also saw an area of tremendous improvement. The coaches have brought back the defensive intensity that Larry Shyatt instilled and used as a key to success. I saw intensity on defense, improved rebounding because of positioning and work, and a much improved defensive strategy based on footwork, eye-on-the-ball and strategic positioning. Don't be surprised if this team isn't better than last year because of the coaching. Good defense is a great equalizer, especially if the players buy-in and I think they showed they do buy-in.

Where was Kenny Foster? He could add some of what was lost with Justin James graduating.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

andersonj wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:28 pm I saw some of the same problems others noted, but I also saw an area of tremendous improvement. The coaches have brought back the defensive intensity that Larry Shyatt instilled and used as a key to success. I saw intensity on defense, improved rebounding because of positioning and work, and a much improved defensive strategy based on footwork, eye-on-the-ball and strategic positioning. Don't be surprised if this team isn't better than last year because of the coaching. Good defense is a great equalizer, especially if the players buy-in and I think they showed they do buy-in.

Where was Kenny Foster? He could add some of what was lost with Justin James graduating.
Great point, true freshman tend to replace guys that go to the NBA pretty easily.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

11-12....hopefully.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

andersonj wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:28 pm I saw some of the same problems others noted, but I also saw an area of tremendous improvement. The coaches have brought back the defensive intensity that Larry Shyatt instilled and used as a key to success. I saw intensity on defense, improved rebounding because of positioning and work, and a much improved defensive strategy based on footwork, eye-on-the-ball and strategic positioning. Don't be surprised if this team isn't better than last year because of the coaching. Good defense is a great equalizer, especially if the players buy-in and I think they showed they do buy-in.

I like your points but you know it isn't going to go over well here.

As far as Kenny Foster. They said he was in concussion prototcol from practice last week so he didn't suit up. Said he should be ready for tonight but we'll see. I'm excited to see what he can bring. Think he'll could be a great one.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

DVDA wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:33 am
andersonj wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:28 pm
Great point, true freshman tend to replace guys that go to the NBA pretty easily.
"...could add some of what was lost with Justin James" is what was said.

"...will easily replace Justin James" is not what was said.

Looking at Foster's stats and video from last year, it would appear that his size, athleticism and style of play is similar to that of Justin James. While he will obviously not be at an NBA level this year or maybe ever, I would expect that he could bring SOME of what was lost with James' graduation to the table in his freshman year. I agree with that statement.
IowaCowboy
Buckaroo

10 wins or less. Anything more will be disappointing. we need edwards gone yesterday. and my bold prediction....Nebraska Wesleyan beats us on December 28th.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

9 unofficially, sad