Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:13 am
McPeachy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:18 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:58 am
MrTitleist wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:29 am He had a year of eligibility left and he's enrolled at UW in the graduate program. If I remember right UW offered him a spot to wrestle and he chose football in Seattle instead (someone w/ a better memory than I can say for sure).
Wyoming offered him full schollys for both football and wrestling. I believe he would have been allowed to play both sports. He chose to focus on football at Washington (can't blame him).
I can. What did it do for him by going to Washington? NFL? No. Better education, suspect. He should have been a cowboy IMO.
Sour grapes man. I am sorry but being a key contributor for Washington in the Rose Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl and being recognized as an all PAC-12 player carries more weight than appearing in the Potato Bowl.
LOL. Disagree. Playing for the hometown Wyoming Cowboys, means more to me. State pride, Wyoming pride, One Wyomng, whatever you want to call it. Simply means more in the scheme of life man.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:31 am
MrTitleist wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:29 am He had a year of eligibility left and he's enrolled at UW in the graduate program. If I remember right UW offered him a spot to wrestle and he chose football in Seattle instead (someone w/ a better memory than I can say for sure).
Wyoming offered him full schollys for both football and wrestling. I believe he would have been allowed to play both sports. He chose to focus on football at Washington (can't blame him).
I can. What did it do for him by going to Washington? NFL? No. Better education, suspect. He should have been a cowboy IMO.
Sour grapes man. I am sorry but being a key contributor for Washington in the Rose Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl and being recognized as an all PAC-12 player carries more weight than appearing in the Potato Bowl.
LOL. Disagree. Playing for the hometown Wyoming Cowboys, means more to me. State pride, Wyoming pride, One Wyomng, whatever you want to call it. Simply means more in the scheme of life man.
He would have been way more popular and beloved here than he ever could have hoped to be at washington. And he's back in Wyoming anyway! Almost like this is his home. weird.

And I don't want to hear any BS about going to a better school. I've got pharmacists, accountants, teachers, dentists, MDs, engineering PHds that all are highly successful in just my family that did undergrad at the University of Wyoming.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:20 pm
He would have been way more popular and beloved here than he ever could have hoped to be at washington. And he's back in Wyoming anyway! Almost like this is his home. weird.

And I don't want to hear any BS about going to a better school. I've got pharmacists, accountants, teachers, dentists, MDs, engineering PHds that all are highly successful in just my family that did undergrad at the University of Wyoming.
I don't think anyone is saying that Wyoming isn't a good school. But to suggest that Wyoming and Washington are somehow equals in the eyes of academia is extremely misguided. If you were to talk to almost anyone in the world of higher education (including those at U of Wyoming), they would tell you that there is a noticeable difference between the two schools.

Having said all that, is that why he chose Washington? Probably not...
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Than why is he slumming down now?

If I had to guess, my gut says its easier to be here now. He wont have to work hard here. He can just fit in and wrestle. Same reason he went to Washington for football. They were established, they were good. If he stayed here, the hopes of the state fall on his shoulders. It takes a lot to help turn something from poop to something proud to be a part of. Wrestling is legit now. He wont be asked to shoulder anything. Outside looking in, seems like a follower and not a leader.

Again, I dont know him from Adam but outside looking in (and having talked to parents of other players on that East football team) it surprises me he "settled" to come back here.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:08 pm

I don't think anyone is saying that Wyoming isn't a good school. But to suggest that Wyoming and Washington are somehow equals in the eyes of academia is extremely misguided. If you were to talk to almost anyone in the world of higher education (including those at U of Wyoming), they would tell you that there is a noticeable difference between the two schools.

Having said all that, is that why he chose Washington? Probably not...
Washingotn does probably 30 times the research in three times the fields and costs about 5 times as much to attend. But for your career aspirations, whatever they are (except maybe some oddball stuff), I would say it's a wash whether you do your undergrad at Washington or the University of Wyoming. And you'll come out with way less debt if you go to Wyoming.

Yeah, maybe Tevis wanted to eat fresh seafood all the time and likes cloudy skies. Who knows why he went to washington? Wanted to get away, which is fine. But if he wanted unending love and adulation he went to the wrong school .
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

While Wyoming is great, that is a load of BS. Going to certain schools can give you a competitive job advantage. It certainly was true in my case, and, yes that was at the undergrad level. I am the biggest advocate for Wyoming because there are great opportunities here and the ability to get a fantastic education for a great price but arguing that school doesn't matter ignores realities.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:26 pm

If I had to guess, my gut says its easier to be here now. He wont have to work hard here. He can just fit in and wrestle. Same reason he went to Washington for football. They were established, they were good. If he stayed here, the hopes of the state fall on his shoulders. It takes a lot to help turn something from poop to something proud to be a part of. Wrestling is legit now. He wont be asked to shoulder anything. Outside looking in, seems like a follower and not a leader.

Again, I dont know him from Adam but outside looking in (and having talked to parents of other players on that East football team) it surprises me he "settled" to come back here.
What???? He is out of football eligibility. Wyoming has probably the best wrestling program in the western United States and Laramie is a designated olympic training center. Hardly 'slumming' it down.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:45 pm

While Wyoming is great, that is a load of BS. Going to certain schools can give you a competitive job advantage. It certainly was true in my case, and, yes that was at the undergrad level. I am the biggest advocate for Wyoming because there are great opportunities here and the ability to get a fantastic education for a great price but arguing that school doesn't matter ignores realities.
Well, if you're talking about Ivy League, MIT or something like that yes. Or school of mines like you went to, right? But large public state universities. I disagree. It doesn't matter which one you go to so long as you get good grades and have good test scores on whatever professional tests are in your field.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:59 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Well, if you're talking about Ivy League, MIT or something like that yes. Or school of mines like you went to, right? But large public state universities. I disagree. It doesn't matter which one you go to so long as you get good grades and have good test scores on whatever professional tests are in your field.
Mines, yes. But even then at the public state university level, there are certain schools that specialize in certain areas even at the undergraduate level. For example, Wyoming specializes in and has some undergraduate energy programs that are literally offered at a handful of schools across the country - - if a student were interested in those areas and would like a job in those areas, then they should go to the University of Wyoming rather than the University of Washington for instance.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

No one in Washington is going to remember his name in a year. Logan Wilson’s name will never die.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:54 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:26 pm

What???? He is out of football eligibility. Wyoming has probably the best wrestling program in the western United States and Laramie is a designated olympic training center. Hardly 'slumming' it down.
You honestly think I believe it’s slumming down?

You just made my point. UW wrestling is the cream of the crop in this area. UW is now good enough for him.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

IDK the potato bowl is definitely up there in terms of prestige as playing in the college football playoff /sarcasm
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Watched the last half of his semi match at the cowboy open. He lost, but looked like the better wrestler. Once he knocks the rust off he could be a problem.. I think he was wrestling in a Cheyenne east singlet
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Well now he's not listed on the roster. Fun while it lasted
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Not Cowboy tough!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:28 am Not Cowboy tough!
How do you know that? I'm not going to question the toughness of a guy that played linebacker for 4 years in the Pac 12. With a rash of good wrestlers leaving the team, there could be something else going on and something really wrong in that wrestling room. Is Cale Davidson also not Cowboy tough? Is Carless Looney also not Cowboy tough? Is Sam Turner also not Cowboy tough? WTH is Cowboy tough and who meets that definition?

I watched the Bridges match against AF on Track (where he won by 1 point over a guy he should easily tech based on skill) and he doesn't even look like the same wrestler and looks almost uninterested like he is just sticking it out and going through the motions but already checked out. Losing a leader, motivator and drill partner like Bryce Meredith from the room seems to have been a massive loss.

I'd like to see the tough questions asked of Branch. The wrestling coach often gets a pass because it isn't the highest profile sport but I don't think that should be the case.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Love to play the if only, sure wonder what Tevis woulda been like at (the real) UW, how his D woulda been, think he mighta been on par with Logan Wilson, but we'll never know...hope he does ok wrestling wise if they give him a chance