Monster Wyoming Wrestling Recruiting class

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Before I get too far down the list I will say Northern Colorado and Fresno State had higher classes than Wyoming, but Wyoming has proven it will take-down the big boys.

125 - Brendan Garcia (CO) was a top-10 113 before the season started, but finished in the top-20. One loss and he tumbled out of the rankings, so the rankings are a little skewed.
125 - Darrik Stacey (ID) was a 3-time state champion at 113. Also a 3x Folkstyle AA and a UWW AA.
133 - Jake Svihel (MN) was a state champion this year and may have been a multi-year champion. Ranked #7 in the 126 rankings this year
141/149 Job Greenwood (CO) he wrestled a lot on the freestyle circuit and not sure he even wrestled for the state tournament this year in Colorado,. His brother was a 4-time state champion in CO.
149? - Donny Profitt (WY) from what I hear this kid is really good from Kemmerer. Has an attitude when he wrestles and with the struggles last year at 149 and 157 he could probably make a play for a spot.
197 Stephen Buchanan (WI) was a HS state champion undefeated and finished in the top-10 of the rankings. He is going to push Cale.
Hayden Walker (WY) - he can probably wrestle a couple of weights and was an AA in Virginia Beach this year.
HWT Brooks Baker (MO) a top-10 HWT and undefeated this season. 3-time state champion
170 Jace Rhodes - seems like this kid has the pedigree and should add to the competition. Not sure if he can cut weight also.
Terren Swartz (195) from what I hear Hayden can probably take him, but never know. The high weights are really stacked for Wyoming.

What the line-up could look like next year:
125 - Cole Verner
***Garcia and Stacy will be his competition***
133 - Montorie Bridges
***Svihel and I would guess Zollman for his competition***
141 - Sam Turner
***Zollman wrestled up in freestyle. Greenwood Brothers as well***
149 and 157 - Will leave these weights open. With the addition of Profitt you will have the Jensen brothers, Krueger, Moore, Loveless, Jeffries and the Greenwood Brothers in the mix here. These weights were weaker for Wyoming, but a lot of competition is there.
165/174. This will probably come down to a 3-way battle with Hastings, Randles, and Moody. Moody wrestled at freestyle at 165 this year. From what I heard Hastings is a natural 165.
184 - Tate Samuelson
197 - Cale Davidson
***Buchanan can push him***
HWT - Brian Andrews
***Walker and Baker will give support***

The Cowboy Open will be fun to watch. This is going to be a team that has a lot of depth compared to years past. Records don't mean much as Dom Demas from Oklahoma was 2-3 as a redshirt only to be an AA last year. Wyoming needs to have an answer at 149 and 157, and I hear Donny has a lot of attitude on the mat which can fire a team up. Not sure what to expect this year. Branson is a great study for Wyoming. He came as a 149 and didn't wrestle a ton, bumped up to 165 and won 36 matches the next year. Branch said it best in iron sharpens iron and there is plenty in the fire now.
Last edited by Vapoke on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I highly doubt Hastings will be at 165 and I suspect Krueger moves up. There will be competition for spots no doubt.

Northern Colorado didn't have a better overall class. UNC just landed the best overall wrestler and #1 recruit in the country (Alirez) because he happens to be from Greeley.

Profitt has been wrestling a long time with national experience and he is probably the best recruit out of Wyoming this past year (although his high school teammate Walker can make a case for that as well). That said, I don't think he will be in the lineup this year. It is a steep climb going from 2A Wyoming to Division 1. Profitt didn't even win the Ron Thon in Riverton this past February...he lost to a sophomore that Wyoming needs to be recruiting now (Analu Benabise from Casper).
Vapoke
Cowpoke

UNC signed four guys in the overall top-50. #1 Alirez was a huge get, but they also signed Ronald Tucker #49 overall (HWT), Mosha Swartz #44 overall and #7 at 138. Theroius Robinson #11 overall and #5 at 145.
Now recruiting rankings only mean so much as Wyoming also had a Top-25 class.
Branch really tries to keep Wyoming kids in-state so he probably is watching the Casper kid closely.

Who do you think will fill in at 157 if Dewey moves up? Going to be a crazy Cowboy Open.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Big XII Rankings (Flo/Intermat):
#8/#10 Fresno
#10/#13 UNC
#13/#6 OSU
#16/#7 Oklahoma
#19/#19 UNI
NR/#25 Wyoming

SDSU not too far out. Tanner Sloan at 197 is going to be their top guy hands down and will push for the Big XII title.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Excellent write-up. Thanks