Burman demands "dramatic improvement" next year......

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

He cites Wyoming's two home wins (over UNM and SJSU - - with a combined one road win all year) to close out the season as a reason for keeping Edwards and optimism in the program...who could have ever guessed that :o

Despite losing Justin James, Burman goes on to state 'I don’t believe we’re that far away.'
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

It's his buddy Heath all over again. :willybs:

One year from now we will be having the same discussion of will Edwards be fired or not. Or does our 12 win team next year, that has a 50% increase in wins but still have a bad losing record get considered "dramatic improvement"
Last edited by WyomingAg on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

He demands "dramatic improvement" ? Does that mean he is going to resign? That would be "dramatic improvement".
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 65 times

No one will be around to witness the sinking of the BB program. Thanks Tom Burman!

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Don't see what he sees, but hopefully drastically different next year, i miss seeing the AA(somewhat)
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

WyomingAg wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:27 pm It's his buddy Heath all over again. :willybs:

One year from now we will be having the same discussion of will Edwards be fired or not. Or does our 12 win team next year, that has a 50% increase in wins but still have a bad losing record get considered "dramatic improvement"
+1 I'm surprised he didn't give Edwards an extension. Perhaps it is time the University told Burman he needs to show "dramatic Improvement" next year or he will be gone as well.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

stymeman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:14 pm Don't see what he sees, but hopefully drastically different next year, i miss seeing the AA(somewhat)
What Burman "sees" is a 2 year buyout that he isn't willing to make. As long as attendance doesn't fall too hard, a 5th year of Edwards would not surprise me, no matter how bad the results.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:18 am As long as attendance doesn't fall too hard, a 5th year of Edwards would not surprise me, no matter how bad the results.
Attendance was terrible this year. Without Maury's ticket donations, we are looking at historically bad attendance.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Even with Shy, Burman has really struggled with the men's bball program.

Considering the demise of the MWC in both major sports, our inability to more consistently field championship teams or even competitive (with the top of the conference) teams is mind blowing unless you are accepting of the philosophy that Laramie just has too many challenges.

I think that is horsecrap, but i know I'm in the minority.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:25 am
bladerunnr wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:18 am As long as attendance doesn't fall too hard, a 5th year of Edwards would not surprise me, no matter how bad the results.
Attendance was terrible this year. Without Maury's ticket donations, we are looking at historically bad attendance.
Agreed. But I think Burman is willing to live with crowds of 3k. When they get to 2k and below, then he might have to act. Csewe went through this with Dale Layer. Attendance was lower than the women's games. I'm afraid that is where we're headed.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

One other thought. Goal is to compete in the top HALF of the conference!!??
FFS, here is NET for top half: 23, 29, 80, 116, 149, 157. Our goal is to be competitive with teams in the 80 to 150 range. Let that sink in. Don't even get started with that philosophy and football.

#acceptingmediocrity
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:36 am Even with Shy, Burman has really struggled with the men's bball program.

Considering the demise of the MWC in both major sports, our inability to more consistently field championship teams or even competitive (with the top of the conference) teams is mind blowing unless you are accepting of the philosophy that Laramie just has too many challenges.

I'm with you on that. All the excuses have been used up. The MWC is substantially weaker than it used to be but yet no improvement in the major sports.
I'm good for 3!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Cornpoke wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:31 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:36 am Even with Shy, Burman has really struggled with the men's bball program.

I'm with you on that. All the excuses have been used up. The MWC is substantially weaker than it used to be but yet no improvement in the major sports.
Hmm is it possible that Wyoming is not immune to whatever forces are conspiring to hollow out the middle of college athletics. There has always been year-in year-out top notch programs in college as well as the opposite doormat programs. I have no data to back this up but it feels like those opposite poles are further apart than they used to be and the distribution of teams are migrating in one direction or the other....mostly by historically average programs sliding into the doormat ranks, but there are a few examples of programs that have been able to move in a more competitive direction.

The MWC, oustide of Boise St football has regressed since it's formation. I don't think that regression is specific to just the MWC. Somebody that is better at statistical analysis could verify this by looking at avg wins/year in 4 year windows for the last 40 years or so. I would bet that the year over year mediocre competitive program has largely dissapeared and been replaced by year over year terrible programs with 1-2 year spikes in wins.

If you take a step back and acknowledge that across college athletics, competitive imbalance is worsening...how much of this do you lay at the foot any current individual athletic director or administration? I'm in agreement that Burman no great leader, but I fail to see the obvious-to-others moves that Wyoming should be making. The announcement about demanding "dramatic improvement" rings hollow to us who know it's much more about buyout amounts. If this was all about W's and L's he would be gone. Look at CSU football...They don't want Bobo down there but they are stuck financially....it gets dressed up as "staying the course" or "improvements are coming" but the reality is that both schools have handcuffed themselves financially to under-performing coaches.

The talk about Laramie being to difficult to win at is BS..no question. There is a bigger question though. Is some kind of sustained competitive balance become more and more difficult to hang on to in the era of modern era of college athletics?
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

307bball wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:06 pm

Hmm is it possible that Wyoming is not immune to whatever forces are conspiring to hollow out the middle of college athletics. There has always been year-in year-out top notch programs in college as well as the opposite doormat programs. I have no data to back this up but it feels like those opposite poles are further apart than they used to be and the distribution of teams are migrating in one direction or the other....mostly by historically average programs sliding into the doormat ranks, but there are a few examples of programs that have been able to move in a more competitive direction.

The MWC, oustide of Boise St football has regressed since it's formation. I don't think that regression is specific to just the MWC. Somebody that is better at statistical analysis could verify this by looking at avg wins/year in 4 year windows for the last 40 years or so. I would bet that the year over year mediocre competitive program has largely dissapeared and been replaced by year over year terrible programs with 1-2 year spikes in wins.

If you take a step back and acknowledge that across college athletics, competitive imbalance is worsening...how much of this do you lay at the foot any current individual athletic director or administration? I'm in agreement that Burman no great leader, but I fail to see the obvious-to-others moves that Wyoming should be making. The announcement about demanding "dramatic improvement" rings hollow to us who know it's much more about buyout amounts. If this was all about W's and L's he would be gone. Look at CSU football...They don't want Bobo down there but they are stuck financially....it gets dressed up as "staying the course" or "improvements are coming" but the reality is that both schools have handcuffed themselves financially to under-performing coaches.

The talk about Laramie being to difficult to win at is BS..no question. There is a bigger question though. Is some kind of sustained competitive balance become more and more difficult to hang on to in the era of modern era of college athletics?
This is true for football but not basketball. With basketball, the gap has been shrinking between the P5 and mid majors for years. AAC, Missourri Valley, WCC, etc.have all been improving and gaining ground on the P5. The mountain west has declined a bit, but Nevada is as good as any of the old SDSU , UNLV, or Utah team's from the glory days of the conference. I think allot of MWC schools are neglecting hoops and sinking more resources into football to try and bridge that gap between the halves and have nots. Allot of the more successful smaller basketball programs either don't have football or are FCS.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:50 pm

This is true for football but not basketball. With basketball, the gap has been shrinking between the P5 and mid majors for years. AAC, Missourri Valley, WCC, etc.have all been improving and gaining ground on the P5. The mountain west has declined a bit, but Nevada is as good as any of the old SDSU , UNLV, or Utah team's from the glory days of the conference. I think allot of MWC schools are neglecting hoops and sinking more resources into football to try and bridge that gap between the halves and have nots. Allot of the more successful smaller basketball programs either don't have football or are FCS.
Good point...this effect is much more pronounced in football. I still feel it is there in basketball...but as i mentioned above, I have no metric to back this up with...just my own observations of the arc of the MWC and the WAC before that. I think the MW has declined more than a bit though. Nevada is very competitive but I don't think they quite stack up against the top conference teams of the last 25 years. Those teams had some competition in the middle tiers of the conference that does not exist nowadays. The MW, as a whole, is terrifically bad.

Maybe the better question should be...does having a football program actually impede basketball success for non-P5 schools? That is interesting. Seems like a very strong correlation...maybe it is even caused by it....
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

307bball wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:37 pm
Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Maybe the better question should be...does having a football program actually impede basketball success for non-P5 schools? That is interesting. Seems like a very strong correlation...maybe it is even caused by it....
Absolutely. There is only so much money to go around at the smaller schools. When football takes a large portion of it, basketball is left with less which means less money for coaching staff salaries, recruiting, facilities, gear, etc. Is it a coincidence that the school with the best basketball program west of the Mississippi doesn't have a football program.

The same can be seen at Wyoming. A lot of money has been thrown at the football team in the last 3-5 years, not so much for the basketball team minus the AA upgrade.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

This is all fine and dandy to argue. There is a competitive imbalance between the P5 and G5 schools. Can't dispute that. However, should we not be able to compete and maintain relevance within our own damn conference? If we cannot do so then it is time to explore the Big Sky or RMAC.......
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:12 am

This is all fine and dandy to argue. There is a competitive imbalance between the P5 and G5 schools. Can't dispute that. However, should we not be able to compete and maintain relevance within our own damn conference? If we cannot do so then it is time to explore the Big Sky or RMAC.......
Absolutely, the expectation should be competitiveness at the upper echelon of the MW. I just have trouble following the logic that since the MW is worse in absolute terms, Wyo would naturally be better relative to other MW teams. I'm just pointing out that we are not immune to whatever is causing the MW to be so horrific in bball. Unless you are Nevada ... this is some pretty low water marks for the conference all around (and I would bet almost anything that Nevada's recent success is not going to lead to year-in year-out success).

Maybe there is a fragility to conferences like the MW that makes things like conference re-alignment very devastating. It would be great if the effect of programs like BYU, Utah, and TCU leaving the MW meant that there was no change in absolute competitiveness but that has not been the case.

If the MW was the best conference in the land I would be pissed if Wyoming was last in it...Now the MW is terrible and we are still last. sux

Ironically, the strongest Wyoming teams in a long time (McClains's best years) coincided with a fairly strong conference lineup....my memory may not be correct there so correct me if I'm wrong.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Terrible. How poorly does one have to perform to get fired? Burman and Edwards should have been shown the door. We are delaying the inevitable by 12 months. Why not just do it now? Next year is going to be just as painful as this year was if not more so.