Burman demands "dramatic improvement" next year......

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:42 pm Terrible. How poorly does one have to perform to get fired? Burman and Edwards should have been shown the door. We are delaying the inevitable by 12 months. Why not just do it now? Next year is going to be just as painful as this year was if not more so.
I'm no Edwards supporter, but I honestly don't know how they could be any worse. They spent most of the second half of the season getting skull drug by every team they played.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:00 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:42 pm Terrible. How poorly does one have to perform to get fired? Burman and Edwards should have been shown the door. We are delaying the inevitable by 12 months. Why not just do it now? Next year is going to be just as painful as this year was if not more so.
I'm no Edwards supporter, but I honestly don't know how they could be any worse. They spent most of the second half of the season getting skull drug by every team they played.
Yeah...I'd be very surprised if Wyoming is actually worse next year...Edwards has set the bar extremely low. It's a question of believing that Edwards could actually have us in contention in a couple years. I'm pretty sure he does not have what it takes. I don't really fault Burman...I mean...I guess AD's are where the buck stops. I mostly fault him for not getting rid of Edwards at this point. I don't blame AD's for bad hires (unless there is something blatantly obvious going on). I was not too enthused by the Edwards hiring but I would have bet you a lot of money that Wyoming would not be this bad during his third year. I'm not sure that Burman has any good options. I say blow it up ... rip the band aid off.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I never once thought that Edwards was gonna be let go after this year. It was an absolute terrible year but it was gonna be a rebuilding year no matter what this year then the bad luck started. Started from game one. I don't think we ever had a full squad our co-best player was never healthy then was lost for the year. I think if it wasn't for the bad luck we would have seen a year more like CSU or NM this year or the year Adams was a senior. A bad season but not the depths we saw this year.

Next year was always gonna be the year to show us what Edwards has. He has his guys on the team and they have experience. How good is good enough to keep his job? I have no idea. But next year Edwards needs to show us a lot. And I choose to hope and cheer for him to succeed and not spend the offseason talking poop. cuz he is our coach next year. He seems like a good guy and I hope he can pull it together.

The Eternal Optimist.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

TSpoke wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:52 am I never once thought that Edwards was gonna be let go after this year. It was an absolute terrible year but it was gonna be a rebuilding year no matter what this year then the bad luck started. Started from game one. I don't think we ever had a full squad our co-best player was never healthy then was lost for the year. I think if it wasn't for the bad luck we would have seen a year more like CSU or NM this year or the year Adams was a senior. A bad season but not the depths we saw this year.

Next year was always gonna be the year to show us what Edwards has. He has his guys on the team and they have experience. How good is good enough to keep his job? I have no idea. But next year Edwards needs to show us a lot. And I choose to hope and cheer for him to succeed and not spend the offseason talking poop. cuz he is our coach next year. He seems like a good guy and I hope he can pull it together.

The Eternal Optimist.
I believe most thought he wouldn't get fired also, it was just needed to put out there.

Yeah I think you're right. Next year shows a lot. It begins by keeping them all in school and bringing back the experianced group.

I'm optimistic as well. I actually think they have a lot of talent. Badly need to bring in a ready to play big/rebounder/defender

I don't want to see them try to turn porter into a center. Well maybe. It's him or Mueller

I still say Barrett benson. 6-11 grad transfer from northwestern
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:45 pm
TSpoke wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:52 am I never once thought that Edwards was gonna be let go after this year. It was an absolute terrible year but it was gonna be a rebuilding year no matter what this year then the bad luck started. Started from game one. I don't think we ever had a full squad our co-best player was never healthy then was lost for the year. I think if it wasn't for the bad luck we would have seen a year more like CSU or NM this year or the year Adams was a senior. A bad season but not the depths we saw this year.

The Eternal Optimist.
I believe most thought he wouldn't get fired also, it was just needed to put out there.

Yeah I think you're right. Next year shows a lot. It begins by keeping them all in school and bringing back the experianced group.

I'm optimistic as well. I actually think they have a lot of talent. Badly need to bring in a ready to play big/rebounder/defender

I don't want to see them try to turn porter into a center. Well maybe. It's him or Mueller

I still say Barrett benson. 6-11 grad transfer from northwestern
I agree with the need of a rebounder. I think everyone would. If we can find someone in that spot I am also pretty optimistic with the talent(it doesn't sound like anyone is planning on leaving, at this point at least). The problem with a grad transfer is selling the program after last year as the players final year playing. WIth a younger guy you can sell the process and the building but with a grad transfer they got 1 year and are they going to believe they are the final piece to turn it around? I would love it if they could convince the guy you mentioned or someone else.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Bump from the end of last season.

You think Burman is seeing his "dramatic improvement"?

Many predictions/thoughts on this thread are becoming or have already become painfully true.

My own prediction of getting 12 wins this year and worrying if Burman would see that as dramatic enough improvement looks to not be a problem, since we only likely will get half that many wins.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I see maybe 3 more wins for a total of 6 on season, Hey Burman that's not better, but enjoy your hob knobbing in Tucson, maybe ull go to work when you get back, huh???
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

stymeman wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:23 pm I see maybe 3 more wins for a total of 6 on season, Hey Burman that's not better, but enjoy your hob knobbing in Tucson, maybe ull go to work when you get back, huh???
Our Athletic department doesn’t give two poop about basketball. Its a damn shame!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:39 pm
stymeman wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:23 pm I see maybe 3 more wins for a total of 6 on season, Hey Burman that's not better, but enjoy your hob knobbing in Tucson, maybe ull go to work when you get back, huh???
Our Athletic department doesn’t give two poop about basketball. Its a damn shame!
Interesting comment - starting to wonder myself. Especially after the half-assed remodel of the AA, and the travesty seating re-assignment debacle.

Tom was always a basketball first guy, but that has changed - and he knows that football pays the bills and drives the bus at Wyoming. He has single-handedly jacked our basketball program. From firing McClain, to hiring Schroyer (and extending him), just to fire him mid-season, hire retread Shyatt to revive the program somewhat, and then to poop the bed with the Edwards hire. Unreal.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

307bball wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:06 pm
Cornpoke wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:31 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:36 am Even with Shy, Burman has really struggled with the men's bball program.

Considering the demise of the MWC in both major sports, our inability to more consistently field championship teams or even competitive (with the top of the conference) teams is mind blowing unless you are accepting of the philosophy that Laramie just has too many challenges.

I think that is horsecrap, but i know I'm in the minority.
I'm with you on that. All the excuses have been used up. The MWC is substantially weaker than it used to be but yet no improvement in the major sports.
Hmm is it possible that Wyoming is not immune to whatever forces are conspiring to hollow out the middle of college athletics. There has always been year-in year-out top notch programs in college as well as the opposite doormat programs. I have no data to back this up but it feels like those opposite poles are further apart than they used to be and the distribution of teams are migrating in one direction or the other....mostly by historically average programs sliding into the doormat ranks, but there are a few examples of programs that have been able to move in a more competitive direction.

The MWC, oustide of Boise St football has regressed since it's formation. I don't think that regression is specific to just the MWC. Somebody that is better at statistical analysis could verify this by looking at avg wins/year in 4 year windows for the last 40 years or so. I would bet that the year over year mediocre competitive program has largely dissapeared and been replaced by year over year terrible programs with 1-2 year spikes in wins.

If you take a step back and acknowledge that across college athletics, competitive imbalance is worsening...how much of this do you lay at the foot any current individual athletic director or administration? I'm in agreement that Burman no great leader, but I fail to see the obvious-to-others moves that Wyoming should be making. The announcement about demanding "dramatic improvement" rings hollow to us who know it's much more about buyout amounts. If this was all about W's and L's he would be gone. Look at CSU football...They don't want Bobo down there but they are stuck financially....it gets dressed up as "staying the course" or "improvements are coming" but the reality is that both schools have handcuffed themselves financially to under-performing coaches.

The talk about Laramie being to difficult to win at is BS..no question. There is a bigger question though. Is some kind of sustained competitive balance become more and more difficult to hang on to in the era of modern era of college athletics?
Taking this discussion slightly off-topic, but the last round of conference realignment to keep ESPN happy poached the top end of the non-P5 teams that helped add more balance to the landscape.

Ironically, listening to sports talking-heads, the realignment and college football playoff have rendered even the components of broad-based quality irrelevant. I am literally hearing the talking heads complain about the boring, irrelevant Rose Bowl and how to kick non-P5 champions out of the Big Dance to get more lower-level P5 teams in. That is how to hollow out the middle of college sports. ESPN gets its wish of making their content irrelevant but unavailable elsewhere.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

WyoExpat wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:06 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:06 pm
Cornpoke wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:31 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:36 am Even with Shy, Burman has really struggled with the men's bball program.

Considering the demise of the MWC in both major sports, our inability to more consistently field championship teams or even competitive (with the top of the conference) teams is mind blowing unless you are accepting of the philosophy that Laramie just has too many challenges.

I think that is horsecrap, but i know I'm in the minority.
I'm with you on that. All the excuses have been used up. The MWC is substantially weaker than it used to be but yet no improvement in the major sports.
Hmm is it possible that Wyoming is not immune to whatever forces are conspiring to hollow out the middle of college athletics. There has always been year-in year-out top notch programs in college as well as the opposite doormat programs. I have no data to back this up but it feels like those opposite poles are further apart than they used to be and the distribution of teams are migrating in one direction or the other....mostly by historically average programs sliding into the doormat ranks, but there are a few examples of programs that have been able to move in a more competitive direction.

The MWC, oustide of Boise St football has regressed since it's formation. I don't think that regression is specific to just the MWC. Somebody that is better at statistical analysis could verify this by looking at avg wins/year in 4 year windows for the last 40 years or so. I would bet that the year over year mediocre competitive program has largely dissapeared and been replaced by year over year terrible programs with 1-2 year spikes in wins.

If you take a step back and acknowledge that across college athletics, competitive imbalance is worsening...how much of this do you lay at the foot any current individual athletic director or administration? I'm in agreement that Burman no great leader, but I fail to see the obvious-to-others moves that Wyoming should be making. The announcement about demanding "dramatic improvement" rings hollow to us who know it's much more about buyout amounts. If this was all about W's and L's he would be gone. Look at CSU football...They don't want Bobo down there but they are stuck financially....it gets dressed up as "staying the course" or "improvements are coming" but the reality is that both schools have handcuffed themselves financially to under-performing coaches.

The talk about Laramie being to difficult to win at is BS..no question. There is a bigger question though. Is some kind of sustained competitive balance become more and more difficult to hang on to in the era of modern era of college athletics?
Taking this discussion slightly off-topic, but the last round of conference realignment to keep ESPN happy poached the top end of the non-P5 teams that helped add more balance to the landscape.

Ironically, listening to sports talking-heads, the realignment and college football playoff have rendered even the components of broad-based quality irrelevant. I am literally hearing the talking heads complain about the boring, irrelevant Rose Bowl and how to kick non-P5 champions out of the Big Dance to get more lower-level P5 teams in. That is how to hollow out the middle of college sports. ESPN gets its wish of making their content irrelevant but unavailable elsewhere.
Yup...ESPN has not been a force for good for Wyoming sports.