Player of the Year?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Do we think JJ deserves player of the year? He leads the conference in points, leads in steals, is 4th in assists, and 6th in rebounding. This is more all-around stats than anyone else in the conference, namely Caleb Martin. The thing that holds JJ back is the turnovers. Oh and that we won 9 games this year.

I think he deserves it, though they usually don't give it to anyone on such a terrible team. Probably goes to a Martin, Caroline, or Sam Merrill on Utah st.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I would say 1st team, but not POY
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

'PokeForLife wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:35 pm Do we think JJ deserves player of the year? He leads the conference in points, leads in steals, is 4th in assists, and 6th in rebounding. This is more all-around stats than anyone else in the conference, namely Caleb Martin. The thing that holds JJ back is the turnovers. Oh and that we won 9 games this year.

I think he deserves it, though they usually don't give it to anyone on such a terrible team. Probably goes to a Martin, Caroline, or Sam Merrill on Utah st.
Have to consider how many minutes JJ played compared to all of the others...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke

Wyovanian wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:28 pm
'PokeForLife wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:35 pm Do we think JJ deserves player of the year? He leads the conference in points, leads in steals, is 4th in assists, and 6th in rebounding. This is more all-around stats than anyone else in the conference, namely Caleb Martin. The thing that holds JJ back is the turnovers. Oh and that we won 9 games this year.

He did play the most minutes by a healthy margin. Is that a significant negative? It does mean that he doesn't have the most points per minute played.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

He is a great player but he shouldn't be in the conversation for player of the year. In my opinion, player of the year should go to the player that most contributes to a team's success. At most, JJ kept Wyoming from losing by higher margins which I don't equate to success. Let's be realistic, JJ led the conference in scoring because Wyoming didn't really have much for scoring options.

If Nevada didn't end up in so many blow out wins, Martin's stats would have been better.

Once again, not a knock on Justin James as I think he is a really good player that might have a shot in the NBA but a team that wins a total of 4 conference games should not have the player of the year.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

https://gowyo.com/news/2019/3/10/mens-b ... media.aspx
He got 1st team, im ok with that, it's rare we make that list
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

'PokeForLife wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:44 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:28 pm

He did play the most minutes by a healthy margin. Is that a significant negative? It does mean that he doesn't have the most points per minute played.
It's a negative. In order to compare apples to apples, kind of need to index production to minutes played. In terms of pure efficiency, he is lacking.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

He wasn't anywhere on the level of Merrill or Caleb Martin or Caroline, but imagine if he(James) had a bit of a better supporting cast, then maybe he woulda been considered more, love the kid, just wasn't as elite as those others, just my thought
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke

Didn't even make 1st team all conference. I guess I really underestimated how a bad team can affect a guy, even when he has to be double teamed to be stopped and still is the leading scorer and among the top in almost every statistic.
Guess that's one more reason I liked individual sports in high school and the only team sport I could tolerate being a part of was football.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Yeah i was truly disappointed with him not making 1st team as well, records must matter
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

If you look at what PoTY should be about than it should be the best player regardless scat the team does.

It's not PoTY for winning teams. I hate the fact they give so much credit to players that are part of a great team that their team would most likely win even if they weren't on the floor.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

BS! Jj deserved 1st team. We are a 0 win team without him
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:03 pm BS! Jj deserved 1st team. We are a 0 win team without him
I disagree. Without having JJ this year, it would have forced others to step up and be "the guy/guys" instead of 4 watching 1 dribble for 20 seconds and then jacking up a shot or dishing off an impossible pass to bail out a bad decision. Don't get me wrong, I think JJ is a special talent. But, when you have the mindset that you need to do it all for the sake of your NBA contract, it doesn't do a "team" any favors. I blame that all on coaching....