Is Edwards safe for next year

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
CNPOKE
Buckaroo

Anybody know the status of Edwards coming back? I certainly hope not! His coaching is pathetic.
:o
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Highly doubt they'll fire him, he might step down before being fired next year, but this is Wyoming and always hard to figure out
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Knowing Burman, he'll probably give Edwards an extension.........
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

stymeman wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:31 pm ...he might step down before being fired next year
Seriously? Not a chance. Edwards thinks he's great.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

School record for losses in a year.. yup. he's safe
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

I've only watched a handful of games. I doubt Burman does anything. I'm guessing the injuries will justify another year. To be fair, there probably is some merit to that, but I wonder if the year would have been much different without injuries? I can't judge. I probably only watched 8 games or so.

Burman has had a really hard time getting the bball program on track.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

If a change isn't made the team can plan on playing in front of a totally empty stadium the whole year. At least this year there was some hope and excitement to start the year with some fans showing up at early games that has decreased to nothing by year end. If no change is made, going into next year I think there will be total apathy to the program.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

He can't be.

The Wyoming fan base has completely checked out on Edwards. Nobody cares anymore and I think it's 90 something % on that

* this guy has been a D1 HC for how long and he's never gotten a single big guy? (Thompson was a gift who fell in his lap)

* he brought his partner here and the guys kid who comes down wastes a spot that ends up in a starting position before ruining it for himself for beating up those girls from Gillette.

* he is obvivious to physical mismatches during a game and has come up with the worst strategy in every part of the game possible.

He's a terrible coach. The only thing he's doing right is wearing nice suits. He looks great. I like him and think he looks cool. ESP his suit against Air Force.

He's got to go. But they have to figure out how to keep the key players around.

Have to make a great hire right now.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

I don't know really any of those coaches so I hate making judgments.

its just that when these other teams come in and look and act like they know what they're doing to prepare for a game and then end up playing that way and on the other side of the court warming up Wyoming looks like a team that doesn't know what the f^#k they're doing and then ends up playing that way then there's only one way to look at it.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

If he does get the axe or steps down, who are we looking at or should be?
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

stymeman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:52 pm If he does get the axe or steps down, who are we looking at or should be?
Joe Pasternack UCSB

Pat Kelsey Winthrop

Joe Dooley East Carolina
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:21 am
stymeman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:52 pm If he does get the axe or steps down, who are we looking at or should be?
Joe Pasternack UCSB

Pat Kelsey Winthrop

Joe Dooley East Carolina
How about Ben McCollum at Northwest Missouri State - he's got a career record of 222-75 in the 10 years he's been at Northwest Missouri State, and has this year's team undefeated at 27-0. The guy knows how to coach, unlike Edwards.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

CowboyNV wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:57 am
Coeur d' Alene wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:21 am
Joe Pasternack UCSB

Pat Kelsey Winthrop

Joe Dooley East Carolina
How about Ben McCollum at Northwest Missouri State - he's got a career record of 222-75 in the 10 years he's been at Northwest Missouri State, and has this year's team undefeated at 27-0. The guy knows how to coach, unlike Edwards.
Wow- 37 years old w 222 wins. Had never heard of him but looks like a great candidate.

Point is look at how many coaches might be great. And these aren't the guys I see listed for the PAC 12 jobs. If Wyoming wants to a great hire could be made
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

The good thing about McCollum is he is used to a smaller town - Maryville is about 12,000 people and the enrollment is about 6,500 kids. Weather is similar to Laramie, and the nearest city of 50,000 people is about 40 miles away, and closest large city (Omaha) is 112 miles away. If he can recruit and coach a winner in that area, he sure as poop could do it in Laramie. But, what the hell do we fans know about any of this poop?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

CowboyNV wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:57 am The good thing about McCollum is he is used to a smaller town - Maryville is about 12,000 people and the enrollment is about 6,500 kids. Weather is similar to Laramie, and the nearest city of 50,000 people is about 40 miles away, and closest large city (Omaha) is 112 miles away. If he can recruit and coach a winner in that area, he sure as poop could do it in Laramie. But, what the hell do we fans know about any of this poop?
He also won an NCAA title last year and is a graduate of Northwest Missouri State.

I will say though that NW Missouri State is not really a difficult place to recruit to for Division 2 purposes. They have had a powerhouse athletic program for decades and have done really well bringing in recruits from the state of Missouri with D1 athletic potential. They may be a D2 school but they run their programs and facilities on a D1 level. Their football team would run roughshed over SJSU given the opportunity.

That said - I think a guy like that would be a good candidate as long as the staff is filled out with people that can recruit on a D1 level and with experience outside of just Missouri/Kansas/Iowa. I like the idea. Why not, there is literally nothing to lose.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Burman wants to set the all time record for the most hires by an Athletic Director! In the real world of D1 athletics most college AD's are tied to their original hires in Football and Basketball but Burman? Eh, just keep giving him as many chances as needed.
I'm good for 3!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

I think Burman keeps him, but, if Burman decides to move on, he needs to consider using a search committee to the select a new coach.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Complete lack of student support is another aspect of this season that stands out.

I think students gain more of a bond with the head coach than any of the players. My guess is Edwards is not well liked by the student population?

It's really pathetic of the UW students to not be able to fill 250ish standing seats
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

If i were Edwards I'd bring Pizza and Soda to entice kids to come to the games. Regardless how bad they were this year, for sure.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

He is safe for at least 2-3 years.