Fresno State game

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

This team has players that can play with almost anyone. They just need the damn coaching staff to take the handcuffs off them. Fresno State just had 3 offensive rebounds in one possession and scored. The next time down the court, James our up a shot and all of our guys retreated immediately and didn’t even make a movement at all to get a board. This as well as our atrocious zone D are the reason why our team sucks ass. I would love to see AE try a different approach just once and maybe play Trace for 35 mins
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Pathetic
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Vt poke wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:38 pm This team has players that can play with almost anyone. They just need the damn coaching staff to take the handcuffs off them. Fresno State just had 3 offensive rebounds in one possession and scored. The next time down the court, James our up a shot and all of our guys retreated immediately and didn’t even make a movement at all to get a board. This as well as our atrocious zone D are the reason why our team sucks ass. I would love to see AE try a different approach just once and maybe play Trace for 35 mins
Makes about as much sense as ol gabby

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Players still playing hard. Just a crap year
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:29 pm Players still playing hard. Just a crap year
What a moronic post. No, it's not just a "crap" year. It's the destruction of the program by a coach and his staff that can't recruit and can't coach. This is the beginning of one "crap" year after another.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:42 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:29 pm Players still playing hard. Just a crap year
What a moronic post. No, it's not just a "crap" year. It's the destruction of the program by a coach and his staff that can't recruit and can't coach. This is the beginning of one "crap" year after another.
ok, dude
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

I believe the damage being done to the program right now exceeds the poop show we went through with Schroyer. We never did really recover from Heath's tenure, and now I fear Edwards could be driving the final nail in the coffin that was once Cowboy basketball, and Burman is the hammer for that final nail.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

CowboyNV wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:55 am
I believe the damage being done to the program right now exceeds the poop show we went through with Schroyer. We never did really recover from Heath's tenure, and now I fear Edwards could be driving the final nail in the coffin that was once Cowboy basketball, and Burman is the hammer for that final nail.
Agreed this situation feels permanent..at least for the foreseeable future. I don't understand comments talking about "playing hard" or "there is so much potential here". Those are comments for .500 or better teams that are looking to turn the corner....what we have in Laramie is bordering on levels of terribleness that I thought we would never see. The reality is ... Edwards was the wrong hire at the wrong time. Shyatt brought a discipline and toughness to the program that was sorely needed. We needed a coach to replace Shyatt-ball without losing that toughness/discipline. The Edwards hire was an epic whiff. All of the good things that Shyatt did..x's and o's...tough defense...tough at home...are gone, and the deficiencies under Shyatt...lack of talent...poor rebounding...have, if anything, gotten worse.

Good Wyoming basketball is sooooo much fun....what we have now is not worth anybodies time.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

I'm amazed anybody still goes. You could give me free tickets and fly me on a jet and I wouldn't show up.
wrxman
Buckaroo

Pokes Vs. Air Force tomorrow - $15 tickets for the game at the AA! What a deal!

Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

The "set things back" thought that it could last so long is wild to me

This is basketball. It's a very few amount of players and the right coaches. Things can get better fast. It's not football

Doesn't it all Boyle down to can you switch coaches and keep all three of trace young /TJ/Porter? Or atleast trace young. (I assume you get both hunters back and 2 senior guards)
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:44 pm The "set things back" thought that it could last so long is wild to me

This is basketball. It's a very few amount of players and the right coaches. Things can get better fast. It's not football

Doesn't it all Boyle down to can you switch coaches and keep all three of trace young /TJ/Porter? Or atleast trace young. (I assume you get both hunters back and 2 senior guards)
If a program has little success and/or is stupendously bad, how will it get the "right" coach? No up and comer is going to a school where the program is historically bad and turning it around could take years. You would have to throw a lot of money at him and that's not happening here.

There are over 300 division 1 bb schools. The chances of finding a diamond in the rough are small, especially when our current AD seems to have a knack for program killing hires.

None of the players you mentioned are impact players. None of them would see the court on any of the better teams in this conference, which is saying something. We are nearly 30 games into the season and it's rare when anyone other than JJ scores in double figures. No one on this team except JJ is a capable scorer, rebounder, or ball handler. I don't put that all on the players. They are not getting any meaningful development by this staff.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:12 pm
Coeur d' Alene wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:44 pm The "set things back" thought that it could last so long is wild to me

If a program has little success and/or is stupendously bad, how will it get the "right" coach? No up and comer is going to a school where the program is historically bad and turning it around could take years. You would have to throw a lot of money at him and that's not happening here.

There are over 300 division 1 bb schools. The chances of finding a diamond in the rough are small, especially when our current AD seems to have a knack for program killing hires.

None of the players you mentioned are impact players. None of them would see the court on any of the better teams in this conference, which is saying something. We are nearly 30 games into the season and it's rare when anyone other than JJ scores in double figures. No one on this team except JJ is a capable scorer, rebounder, or ball handler. I don't put that all on the players. They are not getting any meaningful development by this staff.
Getting the "right coach" is def possible. Wyoming has done it before. Bohl is. W basketball recently? Shyatt was the "right coach". Maybe twice. McClain was the right coach then.

You can't hire the Santa Barbara coach? You can't hire the Winthrop coach?
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Oh yeah and you might not be a respected opinion on basketball if you don't see trace young as an impact player
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:12 pm Oh yeah and you might not be a respected opinion on basketball if you don't see trace young as an impact player
Trace Young is by far the second best player on the team. If he played 35 mins a game and had the confidence that James has, he would be all league this year. He’s a freshmen, and makes those kind of mistakes, but he is the best shooter on the team. I would love to see him go to the hole more often, but I think he’s afraid to piss off Edwards
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

There's some talent on this team but overall it is not a good team. We overcame the Schroyer era with Larry Shyatt. He got us into the dance and he had us in the majority of the games to the very end.