Big 12 Wrestling Championships

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Since we have a couple of weeks before the Big 12 tourney I though ti would take a stab at what seedings may look like. Wyoming also leads the nation in dual wins:

125 Verner - will probably be a 4/5 seed. I was guessing Top 3, but him not wrestling Montoya probably drops him below Montoya.

133 Bridges - #3 seed. This goes through Fix all day, and Gomez has been stellar at ISU

141 Turner - Top 3 seed. Since Findlay didn't wrestle him he should he the nod over him. Alber from UNI will probably be the #1 seed, but Turner is a legitimate #2.

149 Jensen - he has become really good at reversals this season. I would not be surprised to see him finish Top 4. He will probably be a #10 seed going in.

157 Loveless? - Still no idea on Dewey. If Loveless wrestles I see him going 0-2. He wrestlers hard, just gets into bad positions quickly.

165 Ashworth - #1 no questions

174 Hastings - Probably #4 seed. Could easily win the Big 12

184 Samuelson - #4 seed and can win the Big 12 as well. Hayden and Samuelson are the same in regard they can beat anyone and lose to anyone

197 Davidson - Has fallen off a lot lately, but that may be because he is banged up. He will probably be a #7/8 guy going in. When healthy he is Top 4.

HWT Andrews - Derek White is the guy at this level. Andrews will be #4 seed going in.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

:thumb:
RapeljeJack
Buckaroo

Thank you Vapoke….excellent write-up!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 224 times

Dewey will be wrestling the Big 12s...and he even received a 6 seed!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Pre-seeds out for Big 12s...

9 of 10 Poke received seeds (top 8). Ashworth a 1 seed and Bridges a 3 seed.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Vapoke wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:22 pm
141 Turner - Top 3 seed. Since Findlay didn't wrestle him he should he the nod over him. Alber from UNI will probably be the #1 seed, but Turner is a legitimate #2.
A 6 seed (pre-seed). I don't agree with his seed but hopefully it is motivation.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Davdison is going to have a rough road. I am trying to find out if Dewey is official since coaches meet Friday night to discuss seeds and who wrestles.

Davdison kind of limped down the stretch, however, I think he was hurt so we shall see. Sam getting the #6 seed is super dumb, Findlay from UVU barely wrestled the second half of the year and Verner got docked for it, but Findlay didn't.

157 is WIDE OPEN for the taking. I am surprised OSU is leaving joe Smith at home, and not taking him at 157 or Shomers at 157. I don't think OSU is fully set with their guys. Rogers just wrestled up at 174 against Iowa, I expect him and Smith to swap 165 to 174.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

And just like that Oklahoma State will send Joe Smith at 165 Vice Chandler Rogers after a wrestle-off.
Chandler Rogers career will come to an end at OSU.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Figured since no-one will really watch basketball tonight, I would make some predictions for this weekend. These are all subject to change since the coaches still have to meet.

Weight Class # of Allocations
125 5
133 5
141 6
149 7
157 1
165 6
174 5
184 5
197 7
285 6

Wyoming has 8 guys in the Top-33 RPI and Top-33 of the coaches poll so that plays well for them qualifying. 149 is open for Jaron to make a run, and Dewey is going to have to win 157, which is possible.

125 Verner has a decent path to the championship round if he stays at the #6 seed. He would most likely face Schwarm from UNI (who has to wrestle first). Verner defeated Moisey ad lost to PICC. Shwarm lost to Moisey and got TF by PICC. Verner would have to go through Fleetwood who he had beat in Laramie but lost at a last second take-down. VERNER in the championship match.

133 Bridges. Bridges having the #3 seed helps him avoid Fix. Gomez from ISU is such a spaz that Bridges can beat. Montorie is so calm wrestling that he can beat Gomez, and he can definitely beat Fix. BRIDGES in the championship match.

141 Turner will have to go through Demas and Parker. This a seed where I think they move Turner since Findlay didn't wrestle a lot at the end of the year. Turner can beat Demas and Parker, but he would have to keep his head to win the Big 12. His matches would more than likely be Demas, Parker, into Alber. I see Turner in the 3rd place match unless his seed is changed.

149 Jensen I am not sure he can pull off the upset of Thomsen. Don't get me wrong I would love to see it, but who knows how this seeds breaks out. Jaron is going to need to make the 5th place match to have a chance. Which means winning twice in the wrestlebacks. The path to the NCAA is there for him, but he needs to believe he can do it. I'll call it and say Jensen makes the 5th place match.

157 Krueger. He must have been hurt and Branch didn't say anything. He is my favorite wrestler to watch because you never know when he is going to pin someone. THIS WEIGHT IS WIDE OPEN! 1-12 can win it, and why not Dewey. If he is healthy and ready to go he can beat everyone by pin in this bracket. He has to win to make the NCAAs, so I am calling Dewey to win the BIG 12 is bonus point fashion a long the way

165 Ashworth. What needs to be said. Smith from OSU is an unknown at this weight, but this is all Ashworth, he has felt heartbreak the past couple of years I foresee him being a BIG 12 Champion.

174 Hastings. With Hayden its who shows up he beat 3 top-12 opponents this year. Hayden has to go through Jacobe Smith to make the Championship. The same Smith he had beat in Stillwater except for a last second reversal. Hayden was notorious for giving up reversals, but I think it is because he wrestles hard, plus he is a Freshmen so mistakes happen. I can see Hayden winning the Big 12 or finishing 5th, but 3 weeks of Branch coaching I'll take him as a Big 12 Champion.

184 Samuelson. As the #4 seed I can't wait to see him square against Hemauer from FS again. Tate has an attitude the team was missing. Last year we had Bryce arm barring everyone into submission and Tate has the attitude which every team in any sport needs the guy gives you that edge. 184 is super deep and 1-5 can all win it. I like Tate, but I see him ending up in the 3rd place match.

197 Davidson. He had a hard end of year, and my guess wrestled hurt. He didn't get any favors drawing the 8 seed and having to face off against Weigel. If Cale shows up healthy then he can win the Big 12, and getting past Weigel would be a huge boost for them. I'll call Cale in the 5th place match, I really want to see him beat Weigel and wrestle like I saw him early in the year.

HWT Andrews. He wrestled well all year and won some duals for the Cowboys. Biggest being that pin at NC State, I'll never forget that, and I don't think my neighbors will either. I see him ending up int he 3rd place match. He is a really good HWT and he can beat Orndorff, but White from OSU is a monster.

In the end I see these as results, I may have brown and gold glasses, but I watched this team all year so why not:
VERNER - 2nd
BRIDGES - 2nd
TURNER - 3RD
JARON - 6th
KRUEGER -CHAMPION!
ASHWORTH - CHAMPION!
Hayden - CHAMPION!
Samuelson - 3rd
Cale - 5th
Andrews - 4th

The team is so young with new starters, but my results get all 10 guys into the NCAAs.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Vapoke wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:28 pm
In the end I see these as results, I may have brown and gold glasses, but I watched this team all year so why not:
VERNER - 2nd
BRIDGES - 2nd
TURNER - 3RD
JARON - 6th
KRUEGER -CHAMPION!
ASHWORTH - CHAMPION!
Hayden - CHAMPION!
Samuelson - 3rd
Cale - 5th
Andrews - 4th

The team is so young with new starters, but my results get all 10 guys into the NCAAs.
Those are some really THICK brown and gold glasses!! I hope your prediction comes true but it would take everything going the Pokes way to do that. I'm not sure, but I think the most qualifiers the Pokes have ever had was about 6.

I predict the Pokes qualify 6-7 which will be outstanding in all reality.
In: Bridges, Turner, Ashworth, Samuelson, Andrews
Looking Forward to Watching Fight for the Ticket to the NCAAs: Verner, Hastings, Davidson
Most Likely Out: Jensen, Krueger
Vapoke
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:57 am
VERNER - 2nd
BRIDGES - 2nd
TURNER - 3RD
JARON - 6th
KRUEGER -CHAMPION!
ASHWORTH - CHAMPION!
Hayden - CHAMPION!
Samuelson - 3rd
Cale - 5th
Andrews - 4th

Those are some really THICK brown and gold glasses!! I hope your prediction comes true but it would take everything going the Pokes way to do that. I'm not sure, but I think the most qualifiers the Pokes have ever had was about 6.

Looking Forward to Watching Fight for the Ticket to the NCAAs: Verner, Hastings, Davidson
Wyoming should get 8. This is based on the 8 guys having a Top 33 RPI and Top 33 coaches standing which everyone does minus Krueger and Jensen. The one I am concerend about is Cale. The Big 12 gets 7 guys for 197, so if he finishes at least in the 5th place match then he is in. Everyone else should get into NCAA, but a better finish in Tulsa would be better for seeding in Pittsburg.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Vapoke wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:09 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:57 am
VERNER - 2nd
BRIDGES - 2nd
TURNER - 3RD
JARON - 6th
KRUEGER -CHAMPION!
ASHWORTH - CHAMPION!
Hayden - CHAMPION!
Samuelson - 3rd
Cale - 5th
Andrews - 4th

Wyoming should get 8. This is based on the 8 guys having a Top 33 RPI and Top 33 coaches standing which everyone does minus Krueger and Jensen. The one I am concerend about is Cale. The Big 12 gets 7 guys for 197, so if he finishes at least in the 5th place match then he is in. Everyone else should get into NCAA, but a better finish in Tulsa would be better for seeding in Pittsburg.
RPI is just a calculation and the Pokes still have to go out and wrestle and win the matches at the Big12s to qualify. It is statistically unlikely that the entire team suffers no upsets from guys with lower RPIs (just the same as it is statistically unlikely that at least one Poke doesn't upset a guy that they weren't supposed to beat). This is where my 6-7 qualifiers projection comes from. I understand that there are a few at large bids for those that don't qualify at the Big 12s, but I don't see Verner, Hastings or Davidson qualifying for an at large.

In any event, it is tremendous that we are talking about 6-8 guys from Wyoming potentially going to the NCAAs.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Agreed with 8 new starters that is pretty awesome. We shall see how it all starts on Saturday. The 3 week break has me a little concerned, but last time they had a long break they upset NC State.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

tough break here

Vapoke
Cowpoke

I don't think Branch is going to let that one fly in the coahes meeting. He should have Rogers spot in seedings.
303cowboy
Cowpoke

303cowboy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:52 pm tough break here

wait, looks like there will be another redraw? I don't know how this works.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Friday night the coaches meet and talk about seeds. The brackets can get re-done with seeds.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

Who is Joe Smith?
303cowboy
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:11 pm Who is Joe Smith?
https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/wres ... ament-2019
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Smith has been moved to the other side of the bracket from Ashworth.