Next years team

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I've made my thoughts known that the Pokes need to go in a different direction at coach next year despite the fact that Edwards is generally likable. I just don't see a top level MWC team if things continue in the current direction.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for those that believe Edwards is the answer), the schedule sets up well for the Pokes to potentially get a few more wins at the end of this season so that it can be argued 'it is a young team that is finally coming together' despite the fact that the potential wins will be against bad teams. I think it would take the Pokes losing out for Edwards to be gone and given the easy schedule remaining I don't see that happening. So I do think we will have Edwards next year at this point.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:07 am I've made my thoughts known that the Pokes need to go in a different direction at coach next year despite the fact that Edwards is generally likable. I just don't see a top level MWC team if things continue in the current direction.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for those that believe Edwards is the answer), the schedule sets up well for the Pokes to potentially get a few more wins at the end of this season so that it can be argued 'it is a young team that is finally coming together' despite the fact that the potential wins will be against bad teams. I think it would take the Pokes losing out for Edwards to be gone and given the easy schedule remaining I don't see that happening. So I do think we will have Edwards next year at this point.
I'm curious as to who these wins will come against. San Jose st. at their place? Air force at home? Maybe. This is a team that has 2 wins in this calender year. I think it's more likely we lose out. If Justin James has a poor game, it's a loss. The fact that he's playing 39 minutes a game tells you just how helpless this team is without him. The only justification for keeping Edwards is that all the injuries and other issues kept the team from being at full strength. I don't buy it but Burman probably will.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:34 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:07 am I've made my thoughts known that the Pokes need to go in a different direction at coach next year despite the fact that Edwards is generally likable. I just don't see a top level MWC team if things continue in the current direction.

I'm curious as to who these wins will come against. San Jose st. at their place? Air force at home? Maybe. This is a team that has 2 wins in this calender year. I think it's more likely we lose out. If Justin James has a poor game, it's a loss. The fact that he's playing 39 minutes a game tells you just how helpless this team is without him. The only justification for keeping Edwards is that all the injuries and other issues kept the team from being at full strength. I don't buy it but Burman probably will.
Early in the conference season I predicted Wyoming would end the season with 3-4 conference wins and that is in a separate thread. I still stand by that prediction. Not that Wyoming was good but that the conference is so bad (especially some teams on the road).

Air Force has one road win all year (@SJSU by 2). SJSU would likely finish near the bottom of the Division 2 RMAC. New Mexico has one conference road win all year (@AF). CSU is a horrible team although Wyoming goes on road for that one. UNLV is a bad team.

Wyoming will win at a minimum 1 more conference game but likely 2. Bank on it.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Does anyone know how many more guys they expect to sign?

Is there a big coming to replace naughton?

Seems like the perfect year for a juco big and prob a pg?
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

I hope Edwards isn't planning on mueller as backup center next year
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:08 am I hope Edwards isn't planning on mueller as backup center next year
My guess is hes figuring on Mueller as starting center next year :lol:
RapeljeJack
Buckaroo

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:05 am Does anyone know how many more guys they expect to sign?

Depends upon how much attrition there is after this season. Frankly I would be surprised if all of the young players come back next year. Right now there is one scholarship available and Edwards has stated that they are searching for a big....but that is where the real question comes in. Evidently Edwards definition of a "big" is different from many others around the BB world. His idea seems to be anyone that is 6-'-6" or bigger and they don't have to be a rebounding type, they can even be around 165 pounds! If he goes after a project like Brandon Porter, next year will be very, very long. I have no hope or expectations that Edwards will sign a player that will be a contributor next year other than acouple of minutes a game and 0 points and 0 rebounds and will have the ability to give out fouls so quickly that he will have already fouled out within the first half in games in the past.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

RapeljeJack wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:50 pm
Coeur d' Alene wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:05 am Does anyone know how many more guys they expect to sign?

Depends upon how much attrition there is after this season. Frankly I would be surprised if all of the young players come back next year. Right now there is one scholarship available and Edwards has stated that they are searching for a big....but that is where the real question comes in. Evidently Edwards definition of a "big" is different from many others around the BB world. His idea seems to be anyone that is 6-'-6" or bigger and they don't have to be a rebounding type, they can even be around 165 pounds! If he goes after a project like Brandon Porter, next year will be very, very long. I have no hope or expectations that Edwards will sign a player that will be a contributor next year other than acouple of minutes a game and 0 points and 0 rebounds and will have the ability to give out fouls so quickly that he will have already fouled out within the first half in games in the past.
Expected/assumed attrition? Maybe mine is just hopeful?

Both hunters and the to be similar guards. Is that being to optimistic to think those 4 guys are locks to come back? (Plus mueller gives 5)

Then it's 2 groups of remaining.
Trace young
Porter
TJ Taylor.

Any chance of bringing all 3 back. Trace young the priority. Yeah it seems historically that you usually don't get all 3 back?

Then you have Tariq and belt. They seem likely attrition candidates but at the same time they're involved and engaged w the team.

I thought they've only signed the one guard from Denver so far. Should jj, naughton, the dung kid who quit, and the assistants kid who beat up those girls from Gillette - shouldn't that mean 3 more spots even if all 10 returners come back?
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:25 pm
RapeljeJack wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:50 pm

Expected/assumed attrition? Maybe mine is just hopeful?

Both hunters and the to be similar guards. Is that being to optimistic to think those 4 guys are locks to come back? (Plus mueller gives 5)

Then it's 2 groups of remaining.
Trace young
Porter
TJ Taylor.

Any chance of bringing all 3 back. Trace young the priority. Yeah it seems historically that you usually don't get all 3 back?

Then you have Tariq and belt. They seem likely attrition candidates but at the same time they're involved and engaged w the team.

I thought they've only signed the one guard from Denver so far. Should jj, naughton, the dung kid who quit, and the assistants kid who beat up those girls from Gillette - shouldn't that mean 3 more spots even if all 10 returners come back?
We have two guys from Denver signed. Kenny Foster and Kwame Marble. Foster looks to be a great shooter and Marble more the slasher type. I’m praying we get a guy who is a decent big guy, but in Edwards system, we don’t utilize a big man. Our offense is based out at 20 feet and we don’t crash the boards. I would love even to run an offense with one post guy. Unfortunately, we only have one true big guy now and he tries, but injuries have taken a toll on Naughton. I think I have more vertical than he does
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Early in the conference season I predicted Wyoming would end the season with 3-4 conference wins and that is in a separate thread. I still stand by that prediction. Not that Wyoming was good but that the conference is so bad (especially some teams on the road).

Air Force has one road win all year (@SJSU by 2). SJSU would likely finish near the bottom of the Division 2 RMAC. New Mexico has one conference road win all year (@AF). CSU is a horrible team although Wyoming goes on road for that one. UNLV is a bad team.

Yep.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:01 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Yep.
While you're patting yourself on the back, I would like to agree that the conference is really terrible this year. This is the worst New Mexico team I've ever seen. Top to bottom, I can't remember the conference ever being this bad. If Edwards still has a job a week from now will confirm that the athletic higher ups just don't give a poop about bb any longer. Why they spent millions renovating the AA and then spending flea market money on a coach is about as bassakward as it gets. Thanks Tom Burman!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:26 am
While you're patting yourself on the back, I would like to agree that the conference is really terrible this year. This is the worst New Mexico team I've ever seen. Top to bottom, I can't remember the conference ever being this bad. If Edwards still has a job a week from now will confirm that the athletic higher ups just don't give a poop about bb any longer. Why they spent millions renovating the AA and then spending flea market money on a coach is about as bassakward as it gets. Thanks Tom Burman!
The point of my post is to point out that the finish to the regular season was absolutely predictable that Wyoming would beat two bad teams that have a combined one road win all year and that would ensure Edwards comes back next year.

You are right to believe that this is the worst MWC that you can remember because from all statistical measures (RPI, etc..) the conference as a whole is the worst that it has been since league formation.

I truly hope Edwards succeeds and Pokes basketball experiences an upswing. I’m just not optimistic at all and realistically I see a 2nd to last place team next year by maintaining the status quo.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Banks/Hendricks
Maldonado/Young/TJ/Porter/mueller
Thompson

All those guys see themselves as rotation players. Most all prob think of themselves as starters. I'd guess if they don't add to that you'd have to think they're

Banks/_______
Hendricks/______
Young/
Maldonado/TJ/Porter
Thompson/Mueller

Both Hendricks and Maldonado have to be 15+ ppg guys and hunter Thomson needs to be atleast 10 and atleast 5

So that leaves how do these guys fit in?

Tariq Johnson- I want to see him get a shot as a SG. Will he be a freshman?

Belt- he sat there all year all into it and intense. I want to see him. Anyone know if he can play? There's no other pg on the roster right now- trace Young the backup pg right now?

And I like the 2 freshman guards they're signing. One or both might need to be ready to play right away if Johnson and belt aren't.

Overall I'm just really convinced that this team needs badly a rebounder. Right now the teams best rebounder is aj banks. An HL Coleman would come in handy right now. If there were 2 more spots open it's both bigs.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:50 pm Overall I'm just really convinced that this team needs badly a rebounder.
Actually, this team badly needs a coach that thinks rebounding is important. That would solve most of the problem.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:50 pm Banks/Hendricks
Maldonado/Young/TJ/Porter/mueller
Thompson

All those guys see themselves as rotation players. Most all prob think of themselves as starters. I'd guess if they don't add to that you'd have to think they're

Banks/_______
Hendricks/______
Young/
Maldonado/TJ/Porter
Thompson/Mueller

Both Hendricks and Maldonado have to be 15+ ppg guys and hunter Thomson needs to be atleast 10 and atleast 5

So that leaves how do these guys fit in?

Tariq Johnson- I want to see him get a shot as a SG. Will he be a freshman?

Belt- he sat there all year all into it and intense. I want to see him. Anyone know if he can play? There's no other pg on the roster right now- trace Young the backup pg right now?

And I like the 2 freshman guards they're signing. One or both might need to be ready to play right away if Johnson and belt aren't.

Overall I'm just really convinced that this team needs badly a rebounder. Right now the teams best rebounder is aj banks. An HL Coleman would come in handy right now. If there were 2 more spots open it's both bigs.
I'm really convinced that we need a coach that teaches team rebounding, not just one guy. We have the most passive team in the country. It's time to put these guys in pads and bang the crap out of each other during rebounding drills. Oh, and work on some fundamental defensive schemes like Man2Man, 1-3-1, Box-n-1, and maybe a press once in a while....
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Kenny Foster is a stud. Watching him and seeing the difference in him athletically as a junior to this year as a senior makes me think if he's not signed he's a PAC 12 caliber recruit.

I like the pg they're getting from Denver too Marble.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

I didn't know you could look at the transfer porthole.

Guy who was supposed to start at center named Barrett benson graduated in 3years from Northwestern and is now transferring and immediately avalaible. 6-10. Why can't we find a situation like that