James and Bailey....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

2 similar players. Good mid range games. similar size, athleticism. Who gets the edge? lets not let the Wyo native bias affect the opinion...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Bailey played on better teams with better weapons than James so it is hard to compare stats. From a subjective standpoint, I would say Bailey was the better college player pre knee injury, but James has more of an overall game (including rebounding) that might lend itself to James having better pro-prospects. They are/were both fun to watch but Bailey definitely drew more eyes because those teams were more competitive.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:24 pm 2 similar players. Good mid range games. similar size, athleticism. Who gets the edge? lets not let the Wyo native bias affect the opinion...
Bailey will always be remembered more fondly because of the local ties, the quality of teams he played on and the big shots he made in big games (JJ hasn’t had a lot of opportunity to play in big games), but IMO JJ is just as good.

Interesting to look at their career stats:

JJ: 109 games, 14.4 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 2.2 apg, 49.9% 2PT (7.6 att/game), 35.5% 3PT (3.1 att/game), 73.6% FT (4.9 att/game)

Bailey: 101 games, 13.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 2.3 apg, 51.6% 2PT (7.4 att/game), 34.7% 3PT (2.1 att/game), 78.5% FT (4.6 att/game)

Very similar. That will change a little bit as JJ’s numbers this year will push his counting stats up and his efficiency down, but they were more similar statistically than I thought they would be.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Bailey is arguably my favorite player of all time so it's a little bit hard for me to compare the two without bias :)
I'd have to give a very slight edge to JJ in terms of overall athleticism, there's no question he's got better chances at an NBA career, but some of the games that Bailey had were the stuff of legend. Both awesome players.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Bailey's knee injury really sucks/sucked. Would be fun to compare what the stats would have been without that injury. Wonder if the injury played into his profession now (he's a doctor, should be in the middle of residency training). He's a great guy -- a bit of a mentor for me when I was 16-17 yrs old. Someone that I have looked up to since getting to know him a while ago.