Pokes vs. UNC

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

UNC is favored to win. Will be interesting to see how the Pokes respond.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

Sloppy on D, we are getting lucky that they are missing open threes.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Am still baffled by Edwards obsession with playing certain players who offer literally no offensive potential and very little defensive....
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Face it. UNC is much quicker and organized than the Pokes. Hate to see it.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Pokes winning. Redding needs to sit for banks/Johnson. We would be instantly better if he played like 8 min/game instead of 38/game. Politics, nepotism, blah blah. Edwards is clueless about who to play. clueless. We could be a good team, but we won't because he's our coach
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:42 pm Pokes winning. Redding needs to sit for banks/Johnson. We would be instantly better if he player like 8 min/game instead of 38/game. Politics, nepotism, blah blah. Edwards is clueless about who to play. clueless. We could be a good team, but we won't because he's our coach
Banks plays about as good of d and is actually a three point threat. Its crazy he doesn't get more minutes.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

So Taylor doesn't get to play anymore? He's been one of our best players this year. It's got to suck playing for Edwards
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

If you foul a three point shooter twice in one game you are a poop defensive team!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:14 pm So Taylor doesn't get to play anymore? He's been one of our best players this year. It's got to suck playing for Edwards
There's a lot more that goes in to deciding playing time than who the best 5 players are...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:28 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:14 pm So Taylor doesn't get to play anymore? He's been one of our best players this year. It's got to suck playing for Edwards
There's a lot more that goes in to deciding playing time than who the best 5 players are...
What? OK. Play the worse players? what are you talking about. For example in what world is Mueller better than Taylor at anything and in what world is Redding better than BAnks at anything?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Redding, Mueller go out and we go on a 12-2 run. weird.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

Come on Pokes let's do this!
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

Stop leaving that f-word open!
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

I guess we are just going to let Home shoot wide open threes all game
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:31 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:28 pm
What? OK. Play the worse players? what are you talking about. For example in what world is Mueller better than Taylor at anything and in what world is Redding better than BAnks at anything?
I'm saying that this is the college, not the NBA, when determining playing time coaches factor in more than just "who are my 5 best guys". They factor in grades, off-court behavior, practice habits, and trust. That's not even to mention injuries that we might not know about that may limit their minutes.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I was surprised we were a missed FT away from having a chance. Man, those threes down the stretch killed us. I wouldn’t say they were open threes except one but man they got that bounce too. I can’t put my finger on why we’re bad. I definitely think that mueller gets too much time as does Redding.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:06 pm I was surprised we were a missed FT away from having a chance. Man, those threes down the stretch killed us. I wouldn’t say they were open threes except one but man they got that bounce too. I can’t put my finger on why we’re bad. I definitely think that mueller gets too much time as does Redding.
They were open threes. We might have been running out with hands up while they were shooting but we were still late. You have to be on the shooters like white on rice when playing a team like that.
.44caliberkiller
Blog Team

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:24 pm
laxwyo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:06 pm I was surprised we were a missed FT away from having a chance. Man, those threes down the stretch killed us. I wouldn’t say they were open threes except one but man they got that bounce too. I can’t put my finger on why we’re bad. I definitely think that mueller gets too much time as does Redding.
They were open threes. We might have been running out with hands up while they were shooting but we were still late. You have to be on the shooters like white on rice when playing a team like that.
A few of the three's were open looks but a majority of them I thought we gave a pretty good contest.

In the second photo you can barely see Maldonado because he is right on top of the shooter. This Wyoming team isn't very good but that doesn't mean we shouldn't credit Northern Colorado for playing a good game and making tough clutch shots.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Smart coaches make sure that their guys identify good shooters quickly on the court and defend accordingly (i.e. ball denial and/or in their jocks immediately when the shooter has the ball).

We've done a poor job of that at times and it is aggravating to watch.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:04 am
Smart coaches make sure that their guys identify good shooters quickly on the court and defend accordingly (i.e. ball denial and/or in their jocks immediately when the shooter has the ball).

We've done a poor job of that at times and it is aggravating to watch.
Like normal on here, only blame coaches. We talk about how good a few of our players are...James, Maldanado... but two backbreaker threes given up in the second half were where Those two guys lost their man. Can’t blame a coach for that.
I’m not getting into the fire Edwards debate. But put blame where it lies at times. And sometimes it can be on the players.
This team is very young and very noticeably a step to slow. Hence, losing most of our games close. This team is right at the cusp, just not there yet. They look pretty much like I expected, young and no team chemistry. Over the season playing together will help. But, injuries slow that process. Key players don’t get to play, which slows the team chemistry process and makes us rely on a few key players (James) who is putting everything on his shoulders. Once we’re truly healthy this team will grow together and get better.