Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

kansasCowboy wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:19 pm
POKE FAN wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:04 am
Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:24 pm
laxwyo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:06 pm I was surprised we were a missed FT away from having a chance. Man, those threes down the stretch killed us. I wouldn’t say they were open threes except one but man they got that bounce too. I can’t put my finger on why we’re bad. I definitely think that mueller gets too much time as does Redding.
They were open threes. We might have been running out with hands up while they were shooting but we were still late. You have to be on the shooters like white on rice when playing a team like that.
Smart coaches make sure that their guys identify good shooters quickly on the court and defend accordingly (i.e. ball denial and/or in their jocks immediately when the shooter has the ball).

We've done a poor job of that at times and it is aggravating to watch.
Like normal on here, only blame coaches. We talk about how good a few of our players are...James, Maldanado... but two backbreaker threes given up in the second half were where Those two guys lost their man. Can’t blame a coach for that.
I’m not getting into the fire Edwards debate. But put blame where it lies at times. And sometimes it can be on the players.
This team is very young and very noticeably a step to slow. Hence, losing most of our games close. This team is right at the cusp, just not there yet. They look pretty much like I expected, young and no team chemistry. Over the season playing together will help. But, injuries slow that process. Key players don’t get to play, which slows the team chemistry process and makes us rely on a few key players (James) who is putting everything on his shoulders. Once we’re truly healthy this team will grow together and get better.
I miss reasonable posters like you. Landerpoke would fire his grandmother after a loss
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

laxwyo wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:50 pm
laxwyo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:06 pm I was surprised we were a missed FT away from having a chance. Man, those threes down the stretch killed us. I wouldn’t say they were open threes except one but man they got that bounce too. I can’t put my finger on why we’re bad. I definitely think that mueller gets too much time as does Redding.
They were open threes. We might have been running out with hands up while they were shooting but we were still late. You have to be on the shooters like white on rice when playing a team like that.
Smart coaches make sure that their guys identify good shooters quickly on the court and defend accordingly (i.e. ball denial and/or in their jocks immediately when the shooter has the ball).

Like normal on here, only blame coaches. We talk about how good a few of our players are...James, Maldanado... but two backbreaker threes given up in the second half were where Those two guys lost their man. Can’t blame a coach for that.
I’m not getting into the fire Edwards debate. But put blame where it lies at times. And sometimes it can be on the players.
This team is very young and very noticeably a step to slow. Hence, losing most of our games close. This team is right at the cusp, just not there yet. They look pretty much like I expected, young and no team chemistry. Over the season playing together will help. But, injuries slow that process. Key players don’t get to play, which slows the team chemistry process and makes us rely on a few key players (James) who is putting everything on his shoulders. Once we’re truly healthy this team will grow together and get better.
I miss reasonable posters like you. Landerpoke would fire his grandmother after a loss
If she coached streetball while playing the wrong players, yes.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:04 am Smart coaches make sure that their guys identify good shooters quickly on the court and defend accordingly (i.e. ball denial and/or in their jocks immediately when the shooter has the ball).

And I'm talking about defensive Xs and Os, in general, not "two backbreaker threes" from team leaders having mental breakdowns. It's not hard to tell which teams in college ball are disciplined, well-prepared, well-coached on the defensive end -- youthful or veteran. Have we seen this consistently in Edward's first three years? Defensively, what I see right now are WYO players leaving their feet too often on opponent head fakes, causing silly fouls. That's addressed and emphasized in practice. I also see a zone defense where opponent entry passes into the top of the key are allowed too easily and too often -- which can (and does) cause all sorts of problems. Teams making the extra pass or skip pass against our zone right now more times than not will find a (wide) open look. Smart coaches also make sure that their guys identify the sharpshooters on the floor quickly and DO NOT cheat off as much with help-defense, whether man-to-man or zone. Game-by-game coaching preparation. These are just some of the things I see right now that make me grab my head.

Yes, youth and injuries slow down the process. Having Thompson back will be a big boost in the middle, hopefully. I hope these guys can turn it around, but it is way more than fair to say that the jury is out on Edwards at this point. It's not just hardcore fans who may be skeptical, but the casual fan as well. If the picture below (WYO vs. UNCO Saturday) is worth a thousand words, then the fan base is not sold on the product Edwards/Burman are putting on the floor. I'm disgusted with what has happened with fan support over the years.

kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:13 pm
POKE FAN wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:04 am Smart coaches make sure that their guys identify good shooters quickly on the court and defend accordingly (i.e. ball denial and/or in their jocks immediately when the shooter has the ball).

And I'm talking about defensive Xs and Os, in general, not "two backbreaker threes" from team leaders having mental breakdowns. It's not hard to tell which teams in college ball are disciplined, well-prepared, well-coached on the defensive end -- youthful or veteran. Have we seen this consistently in Edward's first three years? Defensively, what I see right now are WYO players leaving their feet too often on opponent head fakes, causing silly fouls. That's addressed and emphasized in practice. I also see a zone defense where opponent entry passes into the top of the key are allowed too easily and too often -- which can (and does) cause all sorts of problems. Teams making the extra pass or skip pass against our zone right now more times than not will find a (wide) open look. Smart coaches also make sure that their guys identify the sharpshooters on the floor quickly and DO NOT cheat off as much with help-defense, whether man-to-man or zone. Game-by-game coaching preparation. These are just some of the things I see right now that make me grab my head.

Yes, youth and injuries slow down the process. Having Thompson back will be a big boost in the middle, hopefully. I hope these guys can turn it around, but it is way more than fair to say that the jury is out on Edwards at this point. It's not just hardcore fans who may be skeptical, but the casual fan as well. If the picture below (WYO vs. UNCO Saturday) is worth a thousand words, then the fan base is not sold on the product Edwards/Burman are putting on the floor. I'm disgusted with what has happened with fan support over the years.

I can agree to a point. But you can preach to young kids something and see the exact opposite on the floor. Or like I said before, they do it, but a step too slow. As with the fan base. Pretty much what I’d expect from a 2-6 team. Not to mention that I don’t see that much of a difference between the fan base under Edwards and the same fan base under Shyatt... in fact I think Edwards first two years avg attendance was about the same as most of Shyatts. This year has probably dipped a bit due to being 2-6.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

I'm willing to let the conference season play out for Edwards, but Edward's teams play so far this year (and his first two years) does not inspire confidence in me. I predict this Wyoming team will be neck and neck with SJSU for cruddy-ness this year...
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

If I have to read one more person use a team being "young" as an excuse every GD year I'm going to lose my mind. Doesn't seem to bother other teams to play young players.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

POKE FAN wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:13 pm

I've said it before....it is going to take a special, special team to go on a three to four year run for attendance to come back. Heath Schroyer did more damage to this program than can even be fathomed. This year's team appears bent on driving the nail into the attendance coffin. Nobody is going to drive hours in bad weather to watch a team that can seemingly only beat Colorado Christian at home.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:43 pm

If I have to read one more person use a team being "young" as an excuse every GD year I'm going to lose my mind. Doesn't seem to bother other teams to play young players.
With exception to a few young power teams that you more than likely hear about being young, but still effective, it tends to affect a vast majority of the 351 programs that you do not hear about. And we are probably smack in the middle of that number right now this year.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

kansasCowboy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:37 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:43 pm

With exception to a few young power teams that you more than likely hear about being young, but still effective, it tends to affect a vast majority of the 351 programs that you do not hear about. And we are probably smack in the middle of that number right now this year.
Right now Wyoming is ranked #226 in net rankings for men's basketball. The good news is Boise State, Air Force and SJSU are all ranked worse than Wyoming. Maybe there is hope we won't finish dead last in conference :tickedoff:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.