Pokes vs. Boston College

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:48 pm Dong can be a good big guy. Can obviously rebound and protect the rim... hmmm two things we need.so why haven’t we seen him yet????
This is what I am wondering too. How come he seems to play a random new guy a good chunk of minutes and then they go back to the bench the next game. I want to see Dung Porter Taylor Johnson and Banks get some real minutes every night.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Jj needs to start shooting better. This is getting ridiculous. He’s shooting like .300 on 20 shots per game
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:19 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:48 pm Dong can be a good big guy. Can obviously rebound and protect the rim... hmmm two things we need.so why haven’t we seen him yet????
This is what I am wondering too. How come he seems to play a random new guy a good chunk of minutes and then they go back to the bench the next game. I want to see Dung Porter Taylor Johnson and Banks get some real minutes every night.
Because there is no rhyme or reason to what he does. Edwards doesn’t even know what he’s doing.

Johnson should play for Redding and JJ should be point guard. Johnson can shoot. Surrounding jj with as much shooting as possible seems better than whatever the hell we’re doing
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Jeez. I must be in the minority but I was slightly impressed with last night. Its hard to have a chance to win when you are down 3 starters on a team that already lacks reliable returning players. I was ready for the blowout once the second half started but I saw us battle back and make it a game. We had chances to tie it up just missed shots and free throws when we needed them. Yes BC isn't a great team but I bet they are the best team we have played yet.

I see a team that is beginning to figure itself out with players figuring out their roles and playing together. It really sucks that we are missing 3 major players but in the long run when they get back we will be better for it I have to believe. I need to see a lot more from this team before I give up on them or make any sort of declarations about their lack of talent.

I hope Maldo's back spasms don't become an issue all year. Both games we have traveled to he has had issues and not started.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

After a night of reflection and settling, I think there are positives to take away from last night. This team is starting to show very slow signs of jelling and of the new/young guys getting comfortable. Hendricks had his best game as Poke and seems to be getting his legs under him. Taylor looks better each and every game. I think he'll be a good player given playing time. Dung looked inexperienced but athletic and anxious to go for rebounds and play D. He could be a surprise. We were down 3 potential starters and still battled and scrapped. I hate losing, I hate getting off to a slow start and spotting the opponents a 21 point lead before finding our mojo, but this team is starting to show that it does indeed have mojo. Time to start using it from opening tip. Go win wednesday and come home on a high note.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

TSpoke wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:18 am Jeez. I must be in the minority but I was slightly impressed with last night. Its hard to have a chance to win when you are down 3 starters on a team that already lacks reliable returning players. I was ready for the blowout once the second half started but I saw us battle back and make it a game. We had chances to tie it up just missed shots and free throws when we needed them. Yes BC isn't a great team but I bet they are the best team we have played yet.

I see a team that is beginning to figure itself out with players figuring out their roles and playing together. It really sucks that we are missing 3 major players but in the long run when they get back we will be better for it I have to believe. I need to see a lot more from this team before I give up on them or make any sort of declarations about their lack of talent.

I hope Maldo's back spasms don't become an issue all year. Both games we have traveled to he has had issues and not started.
I suppose I should clarify since I was the one who commented about the lack of talent that was available to the Pokes LAST NIGHT....

The Pokes trailed by 21 in the first half..... Boston College was undermanned just as we were. Boston College completely let their foot off the gas in the 2nd half and while I'm very proud of the fight the Pokes displayed and the fact that we very nearly came all the way back and had a chance to win the game, I credit a lot of our comeback to Boston College completely sleepwalking in the 2nd half. If it wasn't for Bowman saving their skins time and time again Pokes would've probably won because no one else for them did squat in the 2nd half.

My comment regarding the talent the pokes had available to them LAST NIGHT, was just that.... no Maldonado, no Thompson, no Naughton..... only the players available to play last night. Going into last nights game, I saw 3 players on the entire Pokes healthy roster that I was confident would be factors on the offensive end of the floor, and a big chunk of that, as has been thoroughly discussed, is because Edwards has seemingly no ability to develop the talent that he does have. Awful hard to improve your game sitting on the bench. Was I wrong? Look at the stats from the game.... We scored 76 points. 60 of our 76 points came from the 3 players that I figured would have an impact..... 3 players! Credit to Redding for going 8-8 from the foul line which accounted for half of our remaining points but I haven't seen a guard with an aversion to shooting the ball like him since Jaydee Luster. The roster that was available to play LAST NIGHT would be lucky to win 10 games this year unless JJ and Hendricks are each scoring 30+ a night which would be herculean. Thus, I stand by my comment that the Pokes team that took the floor LAST NIGHT, in my opinion, which we all our allowed to have, and doesn't need to be agreed with, was one of the weakest teams I've ever seen the Pokes field on a given night in terms of available talent. Which makes it all the more noteworthy to me just how impressive the Pokes comeback was in the 2nd half.... truly undermanned and undersized at multiple positions and the grit and fight displayed by the Pokes to get themselves in a chance to win last night makes me proud to be a Pokes fan, regardless of how inept our coach is.

If being objective when looking at this team makes me a bad fan, so be it. Wyoming basketball is my favorite sport on the planet, which I know puts me in a giant minority, but I try to watch every game and hope for wins every time out regardless of how good or bad we are. When Shroyer was here destroying the program I tuned in every game I could just because I'm a basketball junky and bleed brown and gold just like most everyone else here does.

By saying that I felt that last night "miiiiight" have been the least talent I'd seen Wyoming put on a basketball court, in no way do I feel that the players on the roster do not have the talent to compete at a high level, but is a reflection of Edwards completely refusing to develop the talent that we do have. Thus, when we are beset by injuries.... as we currently are, we have no one to step in and fill the void. I can't fault the players for that in the slightest, the players gave it everything they had last night, and no one appreciates that effort more than I, but our coaching staff has a long, long, long way to go in learning how to develop and utilize correctly the talent that is available to them.

If I look at the talent this team has as a whole, with everyone healthy, I see a lot to be optimistic about, AN ABSOLUTE TON of potential on this team. A vast amount of talent available to be put to use on a basketball floor. I currently have very little faith in Edwards ability to develop and utilize that talent as he should.

I very much hope I'm wrong, and if Edwards turns this program into a perennial MWC champion, I'll be the first to eat crow, but til then, I stand by every word I said.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

FarmerPoke wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:19 am
TSpoke wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:18 am Jeez. I must be in the minority but I was slightly impressed with last night. Its hard to have a chance to win when you are down 3 starters on a team that already lacks reliable returning players. I was ready for the blowout once the second half started but I saw us battle back and make it a game. We had chances to tie it up just missed shots and free throws when we needed them. Yes BC isn't a great team but I bet they are the best team we have played yet.

I suppose I should clarify since I was the one who commented about the lack of talent that was available to the Pokes LAST NIGHT....

The Pokes trailed by 21 in the first half..... Boston College was undermanned just as we were. Boston College completely let their foot off the gas in the 2nd half and while I'm very proud of the fight the Pokes displayed and the fact that we very nearly came all the way back and had a chance to win the game, I credit a lot of our comeback to Boston College completely sleepwalking in the 2nd half. If it wasn't for Bowman saving their skins time and time again Pokes would've probably won because no one else for them did squat in the 2nd half.

My comment regarding the talent the pokes had available to them LAST NIGHT, was just that.... no Maldonado, no Thompson, no Naughton..... only the players available to play last night. Going into last nights game, I saw 3 players on the entire Pokes healthy roster that I was confident would be factors on the offensive end of the floor, and a big chunk of that, as has been thoroughly discussed, is because Edwards has seemingly no ability to develop the talent that he does have. Awful hard to improve your game sitting on the bench. Was I wrong? Look at the stats from the game.... We scored 76 points. 60 of our 76 points came from the 3 players that I figured would have an impact..... 3 players! Credit to Redding for going 8-8 from the foul line which accounted for half of our remaining points but I haven't seen a guard with an aversion to shooting the ball like him since Jaydee Luster. The roster that was available to play LAST NIGHT would be lucky to win 10 games this year unless JJ and Hendricks are each scoring 30+ a night which would be herculean. Thus, I stand by my comment that the Pokes team that took the floor LAST NIGHT, in my opinion, which we all our allowed to have, and doesn't need to be agreed with, was one of the weakest teams I've ever seen the Pokes field on a given night in terms of available talent. Which makes it all the more noteworthy to me just how impressive the Pokes comeback was in the 2nd half.... truly undermanned and undersized at multiple positions and the grit and fight displayed by the Pokes to get themselves in a chance to win last night makes me proud to be a Pokes fan, regardless of how inept our coach is.

If being objective when looking at this team makes me a bad fan, so be it. Wyoming basketball is my favorite sport on the planet, which I know puts me in a giant minority, but I try to watch every game and hope for wins every time out regardless of how good or bad we are. When Shroyer was here destroying the program I tuned in every game I could just because I'm a basketball junky and bleed brown and gold just like most everyone else here does.

By saying that I felt that last night "miiiiight" have been the least talent I'd seen Wyoming put on a basketball court, in no way do I feel that the players on the roster do not have the talent to compete at a high level, but is a reflection of Edwards completely refusing to develop the talent that we do have. Thus, when we are beset by injuries.... as we currently are, we have no one to step in and fill the void. I can't fault the players for that in the slightest, the players gave it everything they had last night, and no one appreciates that effort more than I, but our coaching staff has a long, long, long way to go in learning how to develop and utilize correctly the talent that is available to them.

If I look at the talent this team has as a whole, with everyone healthy, I see a lot to be optimistic about, AN ABSOLUTE TON of potential on this team. A vast amount of talent available to be put to use on a basketball floor. I currently have very little faith in Edwards ability to develop and utilize that talent as he should.

I very much hope I'm wrong, and if Edwards turns this program into a perennial MWC champion, I'll be the first to eat crow, but til then, I stand by every word I said.
I'm with you about Cowboy Basketball being my favorite team, whcich is wierd because college basketball is a ways down below College Football, NFL, and maybe the same as MLB as far as my favorite sports. I see what you are saying about talent but I disagree. I have seen some bad teams on the floor(especially if we are talking about one night taking injuries/suspensions into account, remember the game after the NM brawl yikes)

But I wanted to touch on a point you mentioned several times and I have heard others say as well so I'm not attacking you for saying it. But I am confused about people talking about Edwards not developing players. I have seen lots of developement from players under him. Are you saying HD didn't get better over the years or JJ hasn't blossomed into on of the best players in the league. Hell Maldonado has developed greatly from the beginning of last year to this year(I remember watching his first couple games a freshman thinking he shouldn't be on the court and was completely lost on offense jacking up airballs to now being our 1A player.
As oppose to the McClain years or Schroyer when we would have a stud Freshman come in and tear things up and having visions of them as seniors for them to not really progress at all.
I think there are some legitimate concerns about the coaching but I don't see developement of the players as one of them.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

TSpoke wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:36 am
FarmerPoke wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:19 am

I'm with you about Cowboy Basketball being my favorite team, whcich is wierd because college basketball is a ways down below College Football, NFL, and maybe the same as MLB as far as my favorite sports. I see what you are saying about talent but I disagree. I have seen some bad teams on the floor(especially if we are talking about one night taking injuries/suspensions into account, remember the game after the NM brawl yikes)

But I wanted to touch on a point you mentioned several times and I have heard others say as well so I'm not attacking you for saying it. But I am confused about people talking about Edwards not developing players. I have seen lots of developement from players under him. Are you saying HD didn't get better over the years or JJ hasn't blossomed into on of the best players in the league. Hell Maldonado has developed greatly from the beginning of last year to this year(I remember watching his first couple games a freshman thinking he shouldn't be on the court and was completely lost on offense jacking up airballs to now being our 1A player.
As oppose to the McClain years or Schroyer when we would have a stud Freshman come in and tear things up and having visions of them as seniors for them to not really progress at all.
I think there are some legitimate concerns about the coaching but I don't see developement of the players as one of them.
Lol I forgot about the game after the NM brawl, that was indeed as rough as it gets.

As to your comment about the development of Dalton and JJ, I'd actually argue that their development was hindered by Edwards. It took til JJ's junior year before Edwards would actually use him while the entire fan base had been moaning to have him play the previous 2 years. Dalton was a similar story. Yes they both developed under Edwards, but in my opinion they became who they were in spite of Edwards refusing to play them, not because he developed them. If there's one player who I would be inclined to give Edwards and co credit for his development, it would be Herndon. That guy went from a very very raw string bean, to one of the Pokes best players by the time he graduated.
I may be wrong, I appreciate everyone's thoughts, and no offense taken because, "at the end of the day" we're all rooting for the Pokes. My thought on JJ and Dalton, is that while both players improved greatly from when they arrived in Wyoming, I feel that neither player has reached the heights that I thought they could have. Maybe my expectations are simply too high, which could be true :D, or maybe just spoiled by seeing Josh Adams turn into such a monster that I wan't to see that out of everybody when it simply isn't possible..... As for Maldonado, the improvement we've seen from him I guess is about what I'd expect out of any player who's had the role thrust on him that he has, with just natural experience and maturity running their course, more so than anything Edwards has done.

Again, perhaps my expectations regarding development are too high, and that's ok, I'm happy to be wrong, just want to see Pokes basketball be the best that it can be, and when I feel like the team is not as good as it could be because of discrepancies in coaching and development, I guess my frustration comes through.

I will 100% agree with you that Shroyer's development of players was beyond awful, and McClain's was mediocre at best, just haven't felt like I've seen the amount of player development out of Edwards that I'd like to see, granted he's only in his 3rd season, but I haven't been overjoyed with the results thus far.
Shyatt took Larry Nance and turned him into a first round draft pick, Josh Adams into the best player I've seen at Wyoming in my adult life, Derek Cooke into a guy who had never played basketball into a dunking monster.... Grabau and Sobey both playing overseas, etc.

Appreciate the opinions, because as I said earlier, just because I have one, doesn't mean it's right. :D
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I think players do get better here, but Edwards is clueless about who to play and has no feel for the game.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Because of team make-up coming into this season, my fear was that James was going to try to do too much on the offensive end at times and actually hurt the team more than help it. Look at the stats from last night. JJ took HALF of the shot attempts (22-44). He was 7-22 from the field (less than 33%), 25% from three, and 61% from the FT line. Part of that underwhelming line (%-wise) was due to the fact that he played the full forty minutes and looked gassed at times in the 2nd half. Part of it, also, is JJ feeling compelled to take over because of a lack of additional scoring threats on the offensive end. Hendricks and Maldonaldo can and, hopefully, will lessen the burden by being legitimate threats as the season wears on. More of the youngsters NEED to be developed quickly by getting quality floor time. I agree with others that a couple of the starter's minutes should be reduced in favor of some newcomers. Edward's resistance (i.e. lack of confidence) to play the newcomers more in most games may ALSO come from what he sees in practice. Too many mental mistakes and lack of execution in practice may also weigh on Edward's confidence level.

The squad was missing three potentially major contributors last night so it's weak to bag on AE's game management. Although BC was missing contributor(s), too, they also recruit to the ACC brand, so the heart shown by the Pokes last night in the 2nd half was encouraging to me.

Not close to being sold on Edward's ability to push WYO into the upper echelon of the MWC, but the Pokes stand little chance if they can't find some quality/consistent interior presence that is adept both offensively and defensively. That is, play with their back(s) to the basket, rebound and block/alter shots. Mueller gets bagged on, but there is no way that kid should be playing the middle of a zone defense. Hopefully, Thompson can be a gem for this team when he really gets into the flow.

Sick of the pity parties. Need some light at the end of the tunnel.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I will say that we do look the part, finally (except the front court, obviously). The guys look tall, strong and athletic. TJ Taylor is already a man and can rebound VERY well. Johnson looks really strong and quick. Dung looks the part. Hendricks is fast, quick and can jump. Porter is a tad skinny, not Dalton or Herndon skinny, but he can move well and dribble very well for a tall guy. Banks moves really well (let the kid play). All the newcomer honestly look like they have exceedingly high potential.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

It's DUNG. As in Poop.

Not DONG. As in dna rifle.

Although, it would be very fun if it was Dong Dung.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

POKE FAN wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:05 am Because of team make-up coming into this season, my fear was that James was going to try to do too much on the offensive end at times and actually hurt the team more than help it. Look at the stats from last night. JJ took HALF of the shot attempts (22-44). He was 7-22 from the field (less than 33%), 25% from three, and 61% from the FT line. Part of that underwhelming line (%-wise) was due to the fact that he played the full forty minutes and looked gassed at times in the 2nd half. Part of it, also, is JJ feeling compelled to take over because of a lack of additional scoring threats on the offensive end. Hendricks and Maldonaldo can and, hopefully, will lessen the burden by being legitimate threats as the season wears on. More of the youngsters NEED to be developed quickly by getting quality floor time. I agree with others that a couple of the starter's minutes should be reduced in favor of some newcomers. Edward's resistance (i.e. lack of confidence) to play the newcomers more in most games may ALSO come from what he sees in practice. Too many mental mistakes and lack of execution in practice may also weigh on Edward's confidence level.

The squad was missing three potentially major contributors last night so it's weak to bag on AE's game management. Although BC was missing contributor(s), too, they also recruit to the ACC brand, so the heart shown by the Pokes last night in the 2nd half was encouraging to me.

Not close to being sold on Edward's ability to push WYO into the upper echelon of the MWC, but the Pokes stand little chance if they can't find some quality/consistent interior presence that is adept both offensively and defensively. That is, play with their back(s) to the basket, rebound and block/alter shots. Mueller gets bagged on, but there is no way that kid should be playing the middle of a zone defense. Hopefully, Thompson can be a gem for this team when he really gets into the flow.

I agree with this. JJ was pressing last night and as good as his stats looked He didn't have that great of a game. I know he had the feeling that he had to carry the whole team by himself so I'm not blaming him but he needs to get his percentages up.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:10 pm
It's DUNG. As in Poop.

Not DONG. As in dna rifle.

Although, it would be very fun if it was Dong Dung.
noted
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

POKE FAN wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:05 am Because of team make-up coming into this season, my fear was that James was going to try to do too much on the offensive end at times and actually hurt the team more than help it. Look at the stats from last night. JJ took HALF of the shot attempts (22-44). He was 7-22 from the field (less than 33%), 25% from three, and 61% from the FT line. Part of that underwhelming line (%-wise) was due to the fact that he played the full forty minutes and looked gassed at times in the 2nd half. Part of it, also, is JJ feeling compelled to take over because of a lack of additional scoring threats on the offensive end. Hendricks and Maldonaldo can and, hopefully, will lessen the burden by being legitimate threats as the season wears on. More of the youngsters NEED to be developed quickly by getting quality floor time. I agree with others that a couple of the starter's minutes should be reduced in favor of some newcomers. Edward's resistance (i.e. lack of confidence) to play the newcomers more in most games may ALSO come from what he sees in practice. Too many mental mistakes and lack of execution in practice may also weigh on Edward's confidence level.

Agreed 100% :thumb:
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

It will be interesting to see how they play today. I got a bad feeling we will get blown out but hopefully I am wrong.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:53 am It will be interesting to see how they play today. I got a bad feeling we will get blown out but hopefully I am wrong.
You were wrong moron!