Put up or move on time?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

I think it is time, what is the expectation for Edwards going forwards? My opinion is that he's earned zero leeway. We squandered the chance to have some continuity after Shyatt's tenure. Whatever your opinion of Shyatt...his teams always did a few things well....Edwards tenure has shown no foundation upon which to base anything on. We are witnessing half-acre level basketball at the AA.

I want the program to move on from him...I don't think anything gets better under his regime. Prove me wrong Edwards...show us you have a master plan here....win me back!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Why did we give shyatt so much power on his way out the door
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:24 pm Why did we give shyatt so much power on his way out the door
I'm not aware that Shyatt had a great amount of power on the way out..I thought he just chose to leave. Does anybody thing Allen Edwards coaching style is anything similar to Shyatt's. They seem fundamentally different.

Ultimately I want to get to thinking about the future. The question is this. Is Edwards the guy?...I think nope.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

I don't like that he never found 1 big guy. Good looking guard/forward class. But Thompson fell in his lap. Basically forced on him. Other than that the screwed position this team is in right now is definitely the coaching staffs fault.

Also I like him so much if he played a minor role. I don't like Redding starting and being such a key player and have to assume that his dad being the top assistant to Edwards is a big factor in that. Something is wrong there
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

I’m sick of seeing stretch 4’s. I want to see guys who are either tough in the post or are rim protectors or guys like Leonard Washington that are “ Grown ass men”. We need to have an enforcer, not soft 6’9” guys who play outside and can’t shoot, and point guards who can’t shoot or drive. 1 and 5 position have been are weakness for years
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Vt poke wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:22 pm I’m sick of seeing stretch 4’s. I want to see guys who are either tough in the post or are rim protectors or guys like Leonard Washington that are “ Grown ass men”. We need to have an enforcer, not soft 6’9” guys who play outside and can’t shoot, and point guards who can’t shoot or drive. 1 and 5 position have been are weakness for years

Ooohhh yes! That is exactly right....I loved Leonard Washington!
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

307bball wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:25 pm
Vt poke wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:22 pm I’m sick of seeing stretch 4’s. I want to see guys who are either tough in the post or are rim protectors or guys like Leonard Washington that are “ Grown ass men”. We need to have an enforcer, not soft 6’9” guys who play outside and can’t shoot, and point guards who can’t shoot or drive. 1 and 5 position have been are weakness for years

Washington's and 1 dunk when he jumped completely over a player at Illinois St to this day is my favorite Pokes dunk of all time, which is saying something, because Adams, Nance, and Cooke were human highlight reels in recent seasons. Washington was an animal when he was healthy.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

FarmerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:27 pm
307bball wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Washington's and 1 dunk when he jumped completely over a player at Illinois St to this day is my favorite Pokes dunk of all time, which is saying something, because Adams, Nance, and Cooke were human highlight reels in recent seasons. Washington was an animal when he was healthy.
I’ll never forget my daughter’s first trip to Laramie. Because of flight delays we didn’t get to the Wyoming Csu till half. We beat the sheep by 20 and Washington was a man amongst boys that game. Schroyer was a terrible coach, but he could recruit. Guys like Desmar Jackson, Washington and M’baye were all better than guys we have now, just needed a coach to get them going. Unfortunately Schroyer squandered that
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

I think the reality is that barring something crazy happening, we are stuck with Edwards for this season and next season minimum, possibly even a third season. Wyoming doesn't really give a poop about any sport but football. The last time they fired a basketball coach was Schroyer and he only had one winning season in four years and he was fighting with the athletic department during the season.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:46 pm I think the reality is that barring something crazy happening, we are stuck with Edwards for this season and next season minimum, possibly even a third season. Wyoming doesn't really give a poop about any sport but football. The last time they fired a basketball coach was Schroyer and he only had one winning season in four years and he was fighting with the athletic department during the season.
UW fired McClain (the previous coach) as well. And then, we see Burman getting a pass after the Schroyer debacle for some reason. We will probably never make it back to 8,000 / 9,000 / 10,000 average attendance because of Burman's decision(s). Think about that for a minute. Yep, we averaged over 10,000 not so long ago.

Football pays the bills by the way. Honestly, UW could dump both women's & men's hoops and be far better off financially. But we know that is a ridiculous statement, and would never happen.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:21 pm
Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:46 pm I think the reality is that barring something crazy happening, we are stuck with Edwards for this season and next season minimum, possibly even a third season. Wyoming doesn't really give a poop about any sport but football. The last time they fired a basketball coach was Schroyer and he only had one winning season in four years and he was fighting with the athletic department during the season.
UW fired McClain (the previous coach) as well. And then, we see Burman getting a pass after the Schroyer debacle for some reason. We will probably never make it back to 8,000 / 9,000 / 10,000 average attendance because of Burman's decision(s). Think about that for a minute. Yep, we averaged over 10,000 not so long ago.

Football pays the bills by the way. Honestly, UW could dump both women's & men's hoops and be far better off financially. But we know that is a ridiculous statement, and would never happen.
Theres WAY more at play with attendance than Burman's never ending desire to f-word over the fans. Yes the on court product HAS to improve to attract fans but damn man. Burman doesn't control the weather. Burman doesn't control the vast expanse between most cities in Wyoming. Burman doesn't control the scheduling of games starts.

As far as averaging 10,000 not too long ago.... What is your definition of "not so long ago"? Couple tidbits I found regarding attendance:
- Our best season this decade was 2015 at 6,310
- The last time we averaged over 10,000 was 2002-03 season at 10,108 (16 years ago is a while)
- Shyatt never sniffed 7000 a game. His highest was that 2015 season and we all know what happened the next season with a gutted roster and an epic loss to Ft. Myers of whoever the hell that was.
- This is NOT an Edwards problem. It is not a Burman problem. It isn't a UW problem. The MWC as a whole (and to some extent NCCAB in general) is experiencing declining attendance numbers. Average attendance in the MWC is down 13% from 10 years ago.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:17 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:21 pm

Theres WAY more at play with attendance than Burman's never ending desire to f-word over the fans. Yes the on court product HAS to improve to attract fans but damn man. Burman doesn't control the weather. Burman doesn't control the vast expanse between most cities in Wyoming. Burman doesn't control the scheduling of games starts.

As far as averaging 10,000 not too long ago.... What is your definition of "not so long ago"? Couple tidbits I found regarding attendance:
- Our best season this decade was 2015 at 6,310
- The last time we averaged over 10,000 was 2002-03 season at 10,108 (16 years ago is a while)
- Shyatt never sniffed 7000 a game. His highest was that 2015 season and we all know what happened the next season with a gutted roster and an epic loss to Ft. Myers of whoever the hell that was.
- This is NOT an Edwards problem. It is not a Burman problem. It isn't a UW problem. The MWC as a whole (and to some extent NCCAB in general) is experiencing declining attendance numbers. Average attendance in the MWC is down 13% from 10 years ago.
Good points.

Burman didn't control 2002-03, and so forth, where our attendance was above 8,000 and 9,000 (and 10,000) either. What he did control, and what contributed to the poor attendance (right now, and during the last 10 years or so), was Schroyer. The hiring, the extension, the firing. We never made it "back" - or even close to those pre-Schroyer levels. He lost the bulk of the fanbase.

Burman also controlled the seating reassignment of the AA and the VERY poor remodel of the AA. Both of which had a hefty impact. Probably to the point it will never recover...sans back-to-back-to-back-to-back NCAA trips and MWC championships.

And although I am sure you are right - when it comes to average attendance declines in the MWC (13%)...we are down more than 50% since 2003-2004 (8201)...regardless what is reported.

Not sure why we are discussing it though, I guess I just feel the current Admin is more to blame than any one other entity for our lack of success.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...