Pokes vs. UC-Santa Barbara Game Thread

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

3FG: 5-29 (17.2%)
2FG: 16-29 (55.2%)

Edwards has no problem standing there like a mannequin while the players are taking ill-advised quick-threes or failing to take it to the glass at times when they have the opportunity to do so. I'm old school and love the classic inside-outside game on offense. Sadly, we're seeing a lot of streetball nowadays. Teams are a reflection of their coach.

Just wish Tommy-boy would have hired Edwards AFTER he had proven himself as a head coach at another school first. I remember when the AA use to be filled and electric. Somebody please save Wyoming hoops.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

FarmerPoke wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:26 pm I commented in another thread that if Edwards was figuring on playing Redding and Mueller 35+ a night we are in big big trouble........
Mueller 35 minutes, Redding 34........
I honestly have zero faith in Edwards ability to put the best possible team that he can on the floor..... As others have mentioned, Edwards x's and o's are seriously middle school level.
What was the point in playing Redding that much when we have Banks now? Why mueller so much when we have all those new guys? Why so many threes when we suck at them? I hate the product on the floor
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

seattlecowboy wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:10 pm I have never thought Edwards was a good coach after I saw his style. His x's & O's are horrible and he may yell at his team to play defense in practice but he obviously doesn't know how to teach it or coach it because they have never been that good at it since he has been the coach. His teams always shoot too many 3's and are undisciplined turning the ball over too much.

Problem is he is going to probably get 2 more years after this because he won his 20 games the first two years he coached which was just smoke and mirrors.
no one goes to the games because they can see this brand of b-ball is terrible. Soft. No rebounding. A million missed threes. The next few years will be painful
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

They literally stopped guarding Mueller and just had two guys on JJ. What the hell was up with that seven man rotation. We have 5 to 6 long athletic dudes just sitting on the bench while the seven guys playing are gassed. Taylor, Johnson, Porter, and Dung should have been playing. If our guys were rested we might have won that.

I hope Hunter T is ok. We are f-word when we play a normal sized D 1 team.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

I’ll hold out hope that this game was an aberration off night for the young team. But I’m really concerned that the program is quickly headed to Heath Schroyer bad again. Very concerning.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

jsmoke2215 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:57 pm Welp, losing on your home court to one of the worst 351 teams in all of America
One of the worst 351 teams in America? Where are you getting that? They won 23 games last year.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

This page of posts has a lot of scary truths.

PG- James is best here and the teams best option offensively. I think both Redding and banks are good defenders. BAnks had the ability to create offense. Redding is just solid. Either start James or banks at pg.

Sg/sf/pf- Maldonado is really solid. The team has to make 24 and 0 the offense off of James. Kind of a guy short. I like mueller but they need to find out if one of the other forwards can play. If they can't we are going to be a couple guys short all year.

C- Thompson is going to play as much as he is able this year. Fouls and stuff like that seem like they will happen. I love what he showed though. Need naifhton back though or no shot to win games w mueller as center
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

And I hadn't realized until tonight that the starting pg is the assistant coaches son. I think banks has a much higher ceiling. I like Redding though. He plays hard and pretty smart.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

nashvillepoke wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:21 pm I never thought I would miss Steve McClain, but here I am in that exact scenario. I have a real hard time understanding what Edwards is trying to accomplish on offense or defense. The rotation was 7 tonight, I dont get that either.

We were gassed halfway through the second half, how the hell does a team that plays at sea level have more energy than we do?
THIS!!!

I've said it before and i"ll say it again, Wyo basketball is a piss poor example of high altitude training. If this is the big selling feature of Wyoming's new HATC (or whatever it's called), then they aren't going to get very many takers. I've never seen teams more out of shape than the basketball teams these past few years. Wyoming needs to play the old Nolan Richardson style of basketball, 40 minutes of hell at 7220' elevation instead of this gasping for air and looking like they all smoke 2 packs a day.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

CowboyNV wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:01 am
nashvillepoke wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:21 pm I never thought I would miss Steve McClain, but here I am in that exact scenario. I have a real hard time understanding what Edwards is trying to accomplish on offense or defense. The rotation was 7 tonight, I dont get that either.

We were gassed halfway through the second half, how the hell does a team that plays at sea level have more energy than we do?
THIS!!!

I've said it before and i"ll say it again, Wyo basketball is a piss poor example of high altitude training. If this is the big selling feature of Wyoming's new HATC (or whatever it's called), then they aren't going to get very many takers. I've never seen teams more out of shape than the basketball teams these past few years. Wyoming needs to play the old Nolan Richardson style of basketball, 40 minutes of hell at 7220' elevation instead of this gasping for air and looking like they all smoke 2 packs a day.
They were gassed because they had a six guys play the majority of the game while UCSB rotated constantly. The conditioning looked fine. This was purely a rotation issue caused by AE refusing to play almost any of his bench.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:38 am
CowboyNV wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:01 am

THIS!!!

They were gassed because they had a six guys play the majority of the game while UCSB rotated constantly. The conditioning looked fine. This was purely a rotation issue caused by AE refusing to play almost any of his bench.
BINGO
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

Another problem is that when they have Nye and Mueller on the floor the spacing is awful because neither can shoot. At the end of the game they were not even bothering to cover Mueller.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:38 am They were gassed because they had a six guys play the majority of the game while UCSB rotated constantly. The conditioning looked fine. This was purely a rotation issue caused by AE refusing to play almost any of his bench.
What was the use of sitting James during the exhibition game to give his minutes to the younger players if Edwards was afraid to use the frosh for at least spot-duty against UCSB?? Both teams were dragging at times. We're in big trouble if Edwards has little confidence in playing the new guys some against quality opponents in order to give the starters quick breathers. And UCSB didn't even have their best player available.

Having had the chance to step in and watch practices run by some of the better/best coaches this area has offered (Brandenburg, Tiny Grant, Papa Shy) and how they managed games, it's night-and-day compared to what we see now. I hate to say it, but I was skeptical of this hire initially and am more skeptical now. I hope Edwards can prove some of us wrong, but.......
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:55 am
Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:38 am They were gassed because they had a six guys play the majority of the game while UCSB rotated constantly. The conditioning looked fine. This was purely a rotation issue caused by AE refusing to play almost any of his bench.
What was the use of sitting James during the exhibition game to give his minutes to the younger players if Edwards was afraid to use the frosh for at least spot-duty against UCSB?? Both teams were dragging at times. We're in big trouble if Edwards has little confidence in playing the new guys some against quality opponents in order to give the starters quick breathers. And UCSB didn't even have their best player available.

Having had the chance to step in and watch practices run by some of the better/best coaches this area has offered (Brandenburg, Tiny Grant, Papa Shy) and how they managed games, it's night-and-day compared to what we see now. I hate to say it, but I was skeptical of this hire initially and am more skeptical now. I hope Edwards can prove some of us wrong, but.......
Another thing to note... outside of JJ and Naughton, this is Edwards roster. It’s time to put up or shut up. It was obvious he really didn’t like Shyatts recruits and finally got rid of all but two. It’s time to shine coach. I know it a pipe dream but I’d like to think this is a make or break year for him. His seat has to be getting warmer doesn’t it?
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:00 am

Another thing to note... outside of JJ and Naughton, this is Edwards roster. It’s time to put up or shut up. It was obvious he really didn’t like Shyatts recruits and finally got rid of all but two. It’s time to shine coach. I know it a pipe dream but I’d like to think this is a make or break year for him. His seat has to be getting warmer doesn’t it?
I think he will survive this year but next year will be even worse and will be his last season. He should be playing the young guys just for the simple fact that next year will be a defcon 1 dumpster fire if they don't get experience.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

He's in over his head, I'm afraid. I would love for it to work out, but he can't even play the right players. That's a prerequisite to being a good coach. ugh
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:00 am

From an outsider's perspective he tried to run both of JJ and Naughton off , too. JJ's soph year, he only played him like 20 min/game and wouldn't start him and screamed at his constantly. And what, has Naughton played like 100 min his whole career here?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

To lose to a California team at 7220, that used to never happen, but this ain't my dad's Pokes anymore
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:00 am To lose to a California team at 7220, that used to never happen, but this ain't my dad's Pokes anymore
Quite the statement made about our High Altitude Training Facilities...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:06 am
stymeman wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:00 am To lose to a California team at 7220, that used to never happen, but this ain't my dad's Pokes anymore
Quite the statement made about our High Altitude Training Facilities...
You do realize that there is literally nothing different about how UW athletes work out now compared to several years ago. It's just new facilities, not a bunch of new technology. Also, basketball doesn't really use those facilities if I recall. When I was going to school at UW, they still worked out in the weight room in the AA.